• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 79kp
    232 I6
    • Jun 27, 2003

fuel injection ?

I saw holley pro-jections on the bay for under $200 used. That's cheaper even adding in the closed loop addition than a junkyard gm tbi setup. The only difference is...Ignition control. What benefits/drawbacks are there reguarding either having ignition conrol or not having it?
    79 Cherokee WT Golden Eagle,360 Holley 2bbl,K&N,TFI, TH400,Qt w/part-time and low range,D44's 3.54,Aux fuel tank,Tow package. 79 4 door chero,spare parts.
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

Projections don't normally go for that cheap. Make sure it is complete and it is really a holley. Figure about $500 as the going rate.

Ignition control would be nice but it is hard to beat a Holley Projection for simplicity in setting up. THe downside to this is they are not as 'efficent' nor do they perform as well as a more expensive system.

I run a 2bbl analog and love it. good gas milage. Could use a little more power and it stumbles sometimes but offroad it runs at any angle.
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Serious Johnson
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • May 19, 2002

Well it'd be pretty dang hard to beat that price with any sort of payback! Ignition control by 'puter allows (with tuning) for more power everywhere from optimized spark advance. Throw-in the wildcard of the ability to run a knock sensor, and the potential advantages increase (again, with tuning).

My 360 with GM TBI & knock sensor runs somewhere around 9.25:1 compression on 85 octane swill. The added compression probably helps both power and fuel efficiency (low 20s on the highway), and might be tough to run without electronic intervention. When towing heavy loads in the mountains, I can feel the knock cop pulling timing out, and benefit from higher octane fuel. This with a standard GM sensor in a coolant plug -- certainly not optimal knock parameters for an AMC 360.

S.J.
      "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
      360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
      T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• 79kp
        232 I6
        • Jun 27, 2003

It's really a holley and as of this post there was 26min left and up to $325. I haven't figured out how to link the bay listings. I searched "holley pro-jection'. Thhere is another setup with a couple of days left and it's still under $200. Thanks Serious. I think I've decided to go with the Junkyard gm tbi setup. Ignition control, and replacement parts are easy to get.
        79 Cherokee WT Golden Eagle,360 Holley 2bbl,K&N,TFI, TH400,Qt w/part-time and low range,D44's 3.54,Aux fuel tank,Tow package. 79 4 door chero,spare parts.

Comment

Working...
        X