• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AdamJay1979
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 15, 2010

Engine swap vs. fuel injection

Have been considering fuel injecting my I6 258... a buddy suggested this week just putting a different modern engine in instead... intriguing as the parts are $1300 for the injection and a decent engine is in the same ball park... thoughts, doubts, concerns???? words of wisdom or warning?????
    Adam Jay
    1979 Cherokee Chief I6 4.2L 258

Get a 4.0L with the underhood EFI wiring ('91 to '95 XJ or YJ) and AW4 for auto (not 42RE which is a turd) or AX15 for std. I like the NP242 tcase which is like the NP229, but no viscous coupler. That way there is no $350 motor mount adapters (use the 4.0L ones) and you swap in Hydroboost to clear the intake (improving brakes at the same time)
    You will need to make a trans crossbar, but you would have to do that anyways with a conversion.

PS: My EFI was $200 for all the parts from the junkyard locally. 4.0L core for the head/intake/injectors, wiring harness (auto controller was under the dash) I also got a '91 XJ for parts for $500 to get the parts for my Eagle wagon.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
    X