Questions about 1979 Cherokee fuel tank and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bev25
    258 I6
    • Jul 28, 2007

Questions about 1979 Cherokee fuel tank and...

HI GUYS!
    My Cherokee is painted and is still require a little more transformation! However....
    We had it on the lift and was getting ready to apply the chassis saver to everything and hubby noticed we have a leak in the gas tank. We need a new one.
    I found one thread that talks about the 79 tank not the same as 78 or older and nothing newer fits either.
    My question is what tank can I use if I can't locate a 1979? What about the Grand Wagoneers and would the year matter?
    I really don't think I'll find a 1979 Jeep Cherokee gas tank local (Rhode Island) and this was supposed to be a low budget project!
    Can anyone help me out with some options?
    ALSO,
    I got a set of 1978 Cherokee 3 piece bumpers that will not fit. The ones that were on it were junk so we cut them off. Hubby has a pipe bender and is thinking about bending me some but I'm slightly leaning toward keeping it on the original side. Now I have NO bumpers.
    So I suppose I have a set of 78 bumpers if someone is looking, and I wonder if someone has a good set of 79's?
    The Grand Wagoneers look like that have rubber bumperettes(?) on them and I dont know if they will match up to mine. There is a few GW's close by so I'm hoping that the bumpers will match up and the gas tank is the same.
    So far those are the biggest issues. Hubby is replacing the float on the sending unit now so I'll have a gauge that works!
    I can't WAIT to show pics but I'm not allowed till it's closer to completion but you all are going to freak!
    Thank you-
    Bev
    It's an AMC thing...nobody understands
    -I would buy JeepCorp stock!-
  • Eugene 1
    304 AMC
    • Feb 04, 2006

aaawww come on just a little peek

Iv heard the same thing about the gas tank, i thought the tank was smaller on 79 like 18 gallons or something
    JEEP
    2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
      GrimJeeperReaper
      • Jul 08, 2002

Grand Wagoneer gas tanks are made to mount snug right up into the frame rail, and have a coffin style skid plate that they are mounted to as well..I've not heard of anyone transplanting one into a 79 Cherokee..
      As for the Grand Wagoneer bumpers..hate to say it, I'm guessing your Cherokee must be a wide track model? If so, it needs a wider front bumper than the Grand Wagoneers have.
      In 79 the front Frame 'grew' horns to mounts the newer style bumpers.
      1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• Bev25
        258 I6
        • Jul 28, 2007

It's a 16

I apologize, I should have said it's a model 16, Cherokee S. That is the narrower model so would the GW bumpers fit ?
        Hubby used some gas tank patch and we are looking to see if that would work but he said to keep looking, possibly for a plastic model that would be comparable.
        Thank you for your quick responses!

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
          GrimJeeperReaper
          • Jul 08, 2002

In that case I'm guessing here, that a Narrow track bumper from a GW should work. Make sure you get the mounting brackets as well.

MTS is a company that makes the gas tanks, they might have a replacement, I've used POR-15's' gas tank sealer in the past, and it works great, even perfect for doing older gas lantern tanks.... Thing is also, sending units changed between 79 and later years..as well as the gauge.
          1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• Bev25
            258 I6
            • Jul 28, 2007

We actually made out well with the sending unit. The float was the only part that went bad and hubby, being the man that he is, had an extra laying around. Works perfectly!
            We're going to paint the tank with chassis saver and hope for the best for now, but keep our eyes open for one or buy a new replacement when we can swing it.
            Thank you about the bumpers! We'll take a ride and see what's what !

Comment

Any wag or n/t chero bumpers should fit if the 79 and up version. BTW the rears were the same between the n/t and w/t. Get the brackets as well. Long way away, but if a wag tank will work, I've got one in a 79 chassis out here in Oregon, but sipping could be a bear. Might PM tanker on a tank.
              Art
              ASE Master Collision Tech
              "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Bev25
                258 I6
                • Jul 28, 2007

I don't think I could afford shipping but let me look around.
                Thank you for the offer though... is the sending unit good?

Comment

• Schlagger
                  350 Buick
                  • Dec 31, 2007

IMHO, when you are dealing with things that can kill you if done wrong, dont skimp. I just put BJs polyethelene tank in my 79 Cherokee and I could not be happier. Everything went in easily, and it weighs practically nothing. No rust to worry about either! My gas tank will probably last longer than I do!
                  1979 Wagoneer QT 360 4" BDS Lift
                  1979 Cherokee Chief QT 360
                  1968 Jeepster Commando 4" HC Lift
                  2006 Honda Shadow Aero
                  1986 Honda XR600R
                  1984 Chevy 3500 Box Truck

Comment

• Bev25
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 28, 2007

They're the ones that go for about $200.00 right?

Comment

• Schlagger
                      350 Buick
                      • Dec 31, 2007

$162 Shipped
                      1979 Wagoneer QT 360 4" BDS Lift
                      1979 Cherokee Chief QT 360
                      1968 Jeepster Commando 4" HC Lift
                      2006 Honda Shadow Aero
                      1986 Honda XR600R
                      1984 Chevy 3500 Box Truck

Comment

• Bev25
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 28, 2007

Well Schlagger, you have convinced my husband to go that way, thank you.
                        I just sneaked out to the garage to snap a pic to show you all and hubby put it all the way up on the lift so I can't get a shot of it! Argh!
                        Soon... the unveiling!
                        Bev

Comment

Working...
                        X