• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadowfax101
    350 Buick
    • Nov 13, 2001

Electrical problem

I have been fighting this demon for about 6 months, and I am about at my whits end. most of the time it starts and every thing works fine. some times when I turn the key to the start position i get nothing. I mean nothing. No power in the jeep at all. Not to the radio, the lights, nothing. No power running out of the battery at all. I let it sit over night, fires up fine the next morning. Last time I was driving, this happened while it was running and in gear, just lost all power. Parked it, came back the next morning, working just fine. I have replaced the ignition mod, the starter sol, and run just about every wire there is to run. I keep thiking it must be a grounding issue so nothing works, but I am not sure. Could use some advice.
    85 Grand Wagoneer
    1.5\" AAL\'s
    MSD/TFI Ignition

89 Grand Wag
  • sickcat
    232 I6
    • Jan 11, 2002

Gremlins

The two things that come to mind would be the ground - both body to engine and engine to battery. The other thing would be the ignition switch.

Comment

• gladiator_426@yahoo.com
      232 I6
      • Jun 05, 2006

TIPICAL JEEP

The other two thing I would check are the batt + at the solinoid, and the connections at the ammeter, if it has one. You might consider the fact that the batt might hav a broken post internaly. "YOU'L HAV THAT"
      Last edited by [email protected]; 01-10-2008, 10:00 PM.
      65 Kaiser wagoneer 2door Panel AMC Vigilante 327, T-98, D-20, closed knuckle, D-44, on BFG M/T 35s MY DD
      79 Cherokee S Desert Camo, project waiting for trans from green
      78 Cherokee S Green, salvage heap, w/ blown 360, stuffd full of lots of extra FSJ parts.

Comment

• shadowjeep
        304 AMC
        • Apr 09, 2000

another thing to consider is the shifter column. it may need to be in a perfect position to work. i had the same problem, i considered it as a antitheft device, it had to be it one spot to allow the key switch to work.

also the above advice is good, you should check everything, grounds, connections, check voltage when running and not running to make sure your charging.
        Rick C.
        87 GW/360/727/5.22/6.72/46s(ShadowJeep)
        coming soon stak 3 speed, rocks
        www.kymc.org
        shadowjeep
        2003 Chevy Silverado
        "WHEN IN DOUBT, THROTTLE IT OUT"

Comment

• shadowfax101
          350 Buick
          • Nov 13, 2001

The battery still reads hot when it is doing this. I have by passed the ammeter in the dash, I have checked the positive cable to the sol. I will replace the two main ground cables. I guess the next time this happens I will check the ignition switch. Thanks
          85 Grand Wagoneer
          1.5\" AAL\'s
          MSD/TFI Ignition

89 Grand Wag

Comment

• FSJ Guy
            • Mar 20, 2005

Also check your fusible links. They may APPEAR OK but may have broken connections inside the insulation.
            Ethan Brady
            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowjeep
              another thing to consider is the shifter column. it may need to be in a perfect position to work. i had the same problem, i considered it as a antitheft device, it had to be it one spot to allow the key switch to work.

also the above advice is good, you should check everything, grounds, connections, check voltage when running and not running to make sure your charging.
              x2

When I swapped my auto to a manual I had the old shifter on the column. If it wasn't right it would do the exact same thing. Possibly you left it went out in the morning grabbed the shifter to make sure it was in "Park" and it fired because you touched the shifter again.
              Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
              I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
              Originally posted by johnny019
              I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

OK, lets break this down some. You said
                Originally posted by shadowfax101
                some times when I turn the key to the start position i get nothing. I mean nothing. No power in the jeep at all. Not to the radio, the lights, nothing. No power running out of the battery at all.
                From this statement I would say you have a problem between your battery and/or solenoid. It could be the cable, or the solenoid itself, or, as mentioned earlier, a battery problem. Then you said
                Originally posted by shadowfax101
                Last time I was driving, this happened while it was running and in gear, just lost all power.
                Were the conditions of this incident the same as the first? "no power at all"....or would the starter not turn? or what? It is very hard to have a motor die from a battery problem. The alternator would have to not be putting out anything. So I am a little confused by this statement. Any further information, no matter how trivial, may help.
                Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

Working...
                X