• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tenoverthenose
    we don't know what he wants.
    • Jan 12, 2017

727 Will not engage

I?m currently driving my ?81 Wagoneer 258 / 727 / 208 on a road trip through Mexico. Today while climbing up and down a few passes, my transmission started to slip. I immediately pulled over, check the transmission level and saw that it was a bit low, so I added 2 quarts on the spot which brought it up to level. After that I started the Wagon up, let it idle in neutral for a few minutes to circulate the fluid, but when I went to put it in gear it would not engage. Nothing. Park does lock up, but Reverse and Drive both act like neutral.

What should I look for? Does anything come to mind other than a replacement / rebuild? I?m 99% sure it?s not the transfer case. I?ve also verified that the shifter linkage is actually turning the arm on the transmission. About six months ago I did replace the filter / fluid (which look clean then) and I?ve put a few thousand miles on it without a problem. Any ideas?
  • gsmikie
    Auto Trannie God
    • Feb 18, 2001

check the bands adjustment
    I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• tenoverthenose
      • Jan 12, 2017

If only I brought a torque wrench with me...

The bad news is that I'm an hours drive away from a sizable town and 20 minutes the other way to the closest mechanic. If I could get my hands on enough fluid, I'd drop the pan and check the filter, but as it is if I do that I'll have to reassemble it dry.

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Make sure you didn't bump the tcase into neutral. Easy to check and don't cost anything.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• tenoverthenose
          • Jan 12, 2017

Thanks, I'm 100% certain the TC is working and the problem is with the 727. The TC lever still moves and the car will hold on a hill in park.

Comment

• nograin
            304 AMC
            • Dec 19, 2000

Man that's tough.
            Did you try all gears?
            Manual 1 and Reverse use different sets combinations engagements.
            See here: http://www.imperialclub.org/Repair/L...313/Page08.htm
            That might give you an idea if its a clutch pack or band.

How's the throttle linkage? Its got to start moving when the throttle lever moves or the pressures will be low.
            '85 Grand Wagoneer
            360 727auto, NP229
            body by beer (PO)
            carries wood inside
            no "wood" outside
            My other car is a fish

Comment

• tenoverthenose
              • Jan 12, 2017

I've verified all linkage is correct, transmission has the proper amount of fluid on the dipstick. Nothing will engage (R, D, 2 or 1) and I also don't think it's likely that the bands slipped that far out of adjustment in one day.

But... I disconnected the cooler lines at the radiator and nothing is flowing when the the engine is running and the transmission is in neutral. It seems like the pump took a dive or something is blocking the flow. Either way, I need to have it towed to a shop and drop the pan. I don't have access to enough transmission fluid here to do that in the field (or fix any potential problems).

Comment

• Curly5759
                232 I6
                • Mar 08, 2015

Originally posted by tenoverthenose
                I've verified all linkage is correct, transmission has the proper amount of fluid on the dipstick. Nothing will engage (R, D, 2 or 1) and I also don't think it's likely that the bands slipped that far out of adjustment in one day.

But... I disconnected the cooler lines at the radiator and nothing is flowing when the the engine is running and the transmission is in neutral. It seems like the pump took a dive or something is blocking the flow. Either way, I need to have it towed to a shop and drop the pan. I don't have access to enough transmission fluid here to do that in the field (or fix any potential problems).
                Could you have sheared/lost the Torque Convertor to Flex plate bolts?
                77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• nograin
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 19, 2000

Your diagnose of pump or blockage unfortunately seems good.
                  Let us know how it works out. Only upside may be that 727 parts should be available just about anywhere.
                  '85 Grand Wagoneer
                  360 727auto, NP229
                  body by beer (PO)
                  carries wood inside
                  no "wood" outside
                  My other car is a fish

Comment

• tenoverthenose
                    • Jan 12, 2017

In shop update:

We dropped the transmission and opened it up at a shop to find the smaller rotor in the oil pump assembly had sheared (what looks like two tabs) off of the shaft. The transmission was not able to build pressure which stopped it from shifting. Of course before that happened it was able to build up heat and did all sorts of damage.

I'm not sure if the torque converter is okay yet, but the bands are toast and the cooling lines are jammed up as well as the radiator and external cooler. The front seals are gone as well, so I'm having the entire thing rebuilt here (along with a complete cooling system flush and fresh oil for my transfer case) for $750.

Hopefully in a few days we will be back on the road. In the meantime, the tacos are delicious

Comment

• Ristow
                      • Jan 20, 2006

put a converter in. it's stupid not too.
                      Originally posted by Hankrod
                      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• tenoverthenose
                        • Jan 12, 2017

Just noticed I didn't include that in my list of with being done, yes we are replacing it too. I just don't know there current state of the previous one.

Comment

• Ristow
                          • Jan 20, 2006

transtar used to have decent priced good quality remans. but i believe they dropped the AMC line.

if they still carry them i recommend getting the factory hi stall version-like the I6 models used.
                          Originally posted by Hankrod
                          Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• nograin
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 19, 2000

Might be limited choices considering the location.

if they still carry them i recommend getting the factory hi stall version-like the I6 models used.
                            Curious - what do you like about the higher stall? I've got a guess it may be about a little less sensitve throttle at low speed...
                            '85 Grand Wagoneer
                            360 727auto, NP229
                            body by beer (PO)
                            carries wood inside
                            no "wood" outside
                            My other car is a fish

Comment

• tenoverthenose
                              • Jan 12, 2017

Actually my wagon has the 258 and I'm just waiting for them to get one into town so I can get on the road again.

Comment

Working...
                              X