International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM

CA Diesel Question

Ok, so first off let me start by saying I live in Southern California, I love Diesel's and I love Jeep's.

Now for my query.

I was wondering if it would be legal for me to put a newer Dodge Diesel(24v) and shove it in a Grand Wagon here in CA. Would everything be kosher?

Anything helps.

-Chris
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Noob!

CA Diesel Conversion

From what I understand about CA clean air regulations as long as you can pass the NOX and exhaust gas test based on your year of vehicle there should be no problem. The main problem with diesel is that it will emit a certain amount of particulate matter and smoke if not tuned correctly. That could scramble the passing of the smog test. It also depends where your reside in the state as well. Major areas have tighter emissions regulations than rural areas. I would find out what your regualtions are based on your address and the tag on the engine you want in your wag will tell you if properly tuned what emissions standards it meets. If you have any qestions just pass one along here. I will be glad to help. I know on heavy trucks entering california they can no longer transit in state if they have any older truck then 2004 emissions-which was the first year of EGR systems on trucks. Check the regulations and go from there, its better to find out first then build to pass then to get done and fail after all that work.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweyler
Check the regulations and go from there, its better to find out first then build to pass then to get done and fail after all that work.

This is exactly why I asked. I didn't want to throw a ton of money and work at something that I couldn't enjoy when finished.

But in theory it can be done correct? With a 24v that is?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
304 AMC

Might be different than gas conversions, and possibly the laws have changed, but back when I was stationed in CA (late 80's-2002), the conversion has to be the same year, or newer, and all applicable smog equipment from the donor vehicle has to be in place.

IIRC, there were some GVWR limits on swaps as well.

Hopefully one of the more current CA folks can chime in to verify or correct me.

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...
Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyj7175
Might be different than gas conversions, and possibly the laws have changed, but back when I was stationed in CA (late 80's-2002), the conversion has to be the same year, or newer, and all applicable smog equipment from the donor vehicle has to be in place.

IIRC, there were some GVWR limits on swaps as well.

Hopefully one of the more current CA folks can chime in to verify or correct me.

I hope they come in and help, i would really love to do this.

Last edited by Jeeplove : 05-19-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 AM
out of order

There is an 800 number on the BAR website, call them and tell them you'd like to talk to your local smog referee about an engine swap.

*IF* it's the same guy, he was pretty up front and will tell you yay or nay.

He's told me nay twice, and yay once.

Nay on 1994 H1 Hummer 6.5 Diesel - heavy duty engine not allowed in light duty truck.
Nay on Cummins 4BT from bread truck - same as above.
Yay on GM TBI swap, not an actual engine swap, but if it passed visual/dyno, he said he would slap a sticker on it.

EDIT: Be sure to use a pre-1998 engine too IIRC anything 1998-up diesel still needs to be smogged.

Last edited by babywag : 05-19-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
There is an 800 number on the BAR website, call them and tell them you'd like to talk to your local smog referee about an engine swap.

*IF* it's the same guy, he was pretty up front and will tell you yay or nay.

He's told me nay twice, and yay once.

Nay on 1994 H1 Hummer 6.5 Diesel - heavy duty engine not allowed in light duty truck.
Nay on Cummins 4BT from bread truck - same as above.
Yay on GM TBI swap, not an actual engine swap, but if it passed visual/dyno, he said he would slap a sticker on it.

EDIT: Be sure to use a pre-1998 engine too IIRC anything 1998-up diesel still needs to be smogged.
I don't see why they would have said nay to the first two swaps you had plans for as you were well under the GVWR limits. I will have to talk to or get real friendly with the referee so he will let me do it.

I also don't mind that I would have to smog the engine, I really want the power/torque/quiet aspect of the 24v.

Last edited by Jeeplove : 05-19-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Grease Monkey

There used to be a little brochure in the dmv offices that stated all the requirements. I bet you can find in online.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin armstrong
There used to be a little brochure in the dmv offices that stated all the requirements. I bet you can find in online.

Do you happen to recall what it's called?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:21 PM
out of order

Smog referee is the final word, just call them. You'll know exactly what you'll be facing with your swap.
DMV just pushes paperwork and is clueless about engine swaps.
Any DMV brochure would be info obtained by the BAR anyway.

If it's the same guy, he's more than willing to discuss the swap with you.
I talked to him 3 different times, he was very informative and helpful.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:57 PM
350 Buick

X2 on talking to the smog referee. My dad and I have looked into different engine swaps for my Jeep and his old plymouth, and the basic requirements are:
The engine to be swapped in must come from a vehicle of the same weight class
It must be an engine from a newer model year vehicle than the vehicle it is going into
It must be a bigger engine ( no 4.0 swap for me)
It must have all the smog equipment on the engine that it came with
Supposedly you also have to keep the same type of transmission with the engine (if it came with an automatic, it must stay automatic; same with manuals. when my dad recently got his plymouth smogged, the guy said he never checks to see what transmission is in it, so i guess it depends on the shop)

hope this helps!

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12
Old 05-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Alright, so the referee it is. Thanks for all the help and wish me luck!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruner1981jpce
X2 on talking to the smog referee. My dad and I have looked into different engine swaps for my Jeep and his old plymouth, and the basic requirements are:
The engine to be swapped in must come from a vehicle of the same weight class
It must be an engine from a newer model year vehicle than the vehicle it is going into
It must be a bigger engine ( no 4.0 swap for me)
It must have all the smog equipment on the engine that it came with
Supposedly you also have to keep the same type of transmission with the engine (if it came with an automatic, it must stay automatic; same with manuals. when my dad recently got his plymouth smogged, the guy said he never checks to see what transmission is in it, so i guess it depends on the shop)

hope this helps!
You could probably get away with a 4.2 or 4.7 right?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplove
You could probably get away with a 4.2 or 4.7 right?
I've got a 4.2 (258 ci) as it is. Anything bigger than that would be ok as long as its newer and from a vehicle of the same weight class.

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12
Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Gear Head

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151627
I just went over this with the ref. You CANNOT legally put in a diesel from a vehicle that was a higher GVW than your waggy....ie, 24v cummins..or even a 4bt for that matter. You CAN however put in a 6.2/6.5 from a 1/2t truck/suburban or blazer. OR you can do the diesel swap and goto a local AAA and fill out the statement of facts stating that it has been changed to diesel and they send it in, you get a new title and no more smog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDONE
Bring some wet-naps. I'm gonna lick everything you butt doesn't touch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Heck Yeah, I am an equal opportunity offender today and think we should all get bent.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
OR you can do the diesel swap and goto a local AAA and fill out the statement of facts stating that it has been changed to diesel and they send it in, you get a new title and no more smog!

Does this mean I COULD get away with the swap or would I still have to go with the 6.2/6.5?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Gear Head

At the top of here is a sticky that says "Diesel swappers start here"

four posts down is a header that says
CA legality and Diesel swap issues/options:

right below that header is a link that says How to do a CA SMOG Legal diesel swap success

That thread was pretty extensive and covers all of this.

So make this straight forward answer both of these questions together when doing the swap.

your rig year is what year?
the engine you choose must be the same year or newer.

the GVW on your rig is?
The GVW on your donor rig must be the same or Less

So this means a 6.2 or 6.5 from a H1 or a 2500 pickup truck can not be installed in your 1/2 ton rig. those rigs have 8800+/- gvwrs and you probably have a 5600-6000 gvwr. their emissions standards are different and the engines came setup differently. any engine you choose you must retain all of the smog equipment so a late model 6.5 with a CAT the CAT must be retained for inspection.

Very few people have had luck with the statement of facts option as typically it needs to be visually verified by the agent that the engine is indeed a diesel. otherwise every guy with a jeep in CA would be claiming to have a diesel so they could slip in a V8 imeadiately after registration was done. it is doable, i didnt have to do a statement of facts i just rolled up in my f250 which had a 460 which now had a cummins and the dmv personel came out verified the epa sticker on the side of the engine stated diesel and was for my class of vehicle use (ie was not from a heavy duty (higher gvw), offroad or stationary engine platform and sent me on my way no smog ref or anything else.

Good luck.
I know on more than one case i might be guilty of keeping a $200 purchase, 6.2L from a light duty application around with the registration and vin to the original donor vehicle around for light duty swaps that i used to swap into a rig, cobble it in, have it verified by a ref, come home, rip it out and instal a 4bt. jsut make sure you run the 3" exhaust pipe and muffler as though you are going to run the 4bt so that the exhaust repair work is minimal once you cut the 6.2 loose. also a big long flex hose with straight water int he coolant system does sufice. none of the electronics other than starter and fuel shut off need to be hooked up. and two bolts can hold a set of more bomb proof motor mounts in place.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Last edited by dusty : 05-24-2012 at 07:31 AM.