International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM

Drat, it's broken

Ok, first off I have tried and failed, but have not given up. So far this old guy has searched, downloaded information, shrunk, made new files, and yet cannot make a photo paste into the forum. I will prevail. I think it is a sharing button issue and somehow I have not pushed the correct share for the pictures. I think.

That said I am still begging for aid. The shop has revealed that the front end axle is most likely kaput. The right front tire kingpin? is busted. My searching, this forum, and the shop agree that parts for a 72-73 are unrealistic to find. brakes are unavailable.

If I continue with this journey of reconstruction the reality of original is out the window.

That said, What front end should I put under this thing?

Please.

Greg
4X4
Not much rust, but needs TLC
Been sitting for 10 years.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

Make a photo bucket account , it free

Upload your pics, chose edit options and auto reduce to the forum limits...save then access the pic again and it will have hot links to your album you can paste in to your post

If you delete the pic from photo bucket it will no longer show up in the thread

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM
FSJ Maniac

Don't give up with the pics. I finally got it and I'm terrible with computers.

As far as a front axle, I would go with a ch*vy (may bolt it?) and swap out Ford 5 lug outer knuckles to match the real axle. Or just upgrade both at the same time to ch*vy six lug.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt2close
Ok, first off I have tried and failed, but have not given up. So far this old guy has searched, downloaded information, shrunk, made new files, and yet cannot make a photo paste into the forum. I will prevail. I think it is a sharing button issue and somehow I have not pushed the correct share for the pictures. I think.....

Sigh...been-there/done-that...No, its not you. There should be a sticky that says "Pasting photos broke for good...use Photobucket", or something.

Go to www.photobucket.com and jump through the hoops to create an account. Upload pictures to it from your computer. Under each picture there will be a list of types of links. Highlight the one that starts with [IMG], press <Ctrl> <C> (for copy). Then go to your IFSJ post and press <Ctrl> <V> (for paste). At the moment you'll see just the code pasted in. But after you submit your post and go back to it the picture will be there.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhoncho
Don't give up with the pics. I finally got it and I'm terrible with computers.

As far as a front axle, I would go with a ch*vy (may bolt it?) and swap out Ford 5 lug outer knuckles to match the real axle. Or just upgrade both at the same time to ch*vy six lug.

JR

if its an early chevy front end 73-77.5 with small bearing hubs all you'll need to change are the hub/rotors from a 1980-1991 f150/bronco, keep the chevy calipers, knuckles, spindles and caliper brackets. Ford knuckles and spindles are in many ways a down grade.

if you are going to regear theres options there too

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."
Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 PM

Thank you.

I will do the photo bucket sunday or tuesday. Sailing regatta Sat and golf tourney Monday.
The only "off roading this P/U will get is the back side of the lake where it is a graded flat dirt road so bullet proof is not needed. The only work it wil see is when I need to put the X30 out of the lake to get gas and go to the golf course from the summer home.

Hopefully when the shop gets it taken apart there will be fixable parts from BJ's. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks all Photo bucket time.

Greg
4X4
Not much rust, but needs TLC
Been sitting for 10 years.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:27 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

you can use picasa from google, with all the dreaded side effects.

you can probably swap a 74 front end....

Welcome to the addiction.

We need to do a get together.... I need to go down to pick up some parts.... when I return.... yes .... wrong time zone at the moment.... it is not 3 am here....

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work