International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, its way more than I asked for.

I don' think I described my problem in good enough detail though. The vehicle is bone stock. I don't know if this is normal for fsjs, but the temp guage when I'm moving will sit right at the edge of the blue, sometimes a little bit above. If I stop, the temps will climb and climb, but if I start moving again they'll go right back down to the edge of the blue.

I talked with my mechanic buddy, and he says its most likely a stuck thermostat, so I'm going to try that first, then I'll try replacing the fan clutch and adjusting it like dusty suggested. If that doesn't work I'll try hummer fans and what not.

Last edited by Miraphone186 : 10-08-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 AM

sounds like your fan clutch is shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow
sounds like your fan clutch is shot.

This,

With what you described temp creep when not moving I agree with Ristow id look at a new fan clutch.

Temp creep when not moving and while driving down the road would make me think thermostat. if t-stat was stuck shut you wouldnt be cooling off when driving down the road.

the fact that the rig cools off going down the road tells you your radiator is functioning well and that your air flow through grille isnto an issue at speed as well the thermostat appears to be opening

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Last edited by dusty : 10-08-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraphone186
Thanks for all the info guys, its way more than I asked for.

I don' think I described my problem in good enough detail though. The vehicle is bone stock. I don't know if this is normal for fsjs, but the temp guage when I'm moving will sit right at the edge of the blue, sometimes a little bit above. If I stop, the temps will climb and climb, but if I start moving again they'll go right back down to the edge of the blue.

I talked with my mechanic buddy, and he says its most likely a stuck thermostat, so I'm going to try that first, then I'll try replacing the fan clutch and adjusting it like dusty suggested. If that doesn't work I'll try hummer fans and what not.

Re "...more than I asked for": That's often the case here.

Re "..if this is normal..": Yes, if the fan clutch is shot.

Re: "...stuck thermostat..": If its at the edge of blue when moving, then its either a 180* t'stat, or a 195* stuck open-ish, or the gauge (or temp sender) is off a bit, because it should be more than "edge of blue". Running cooler than you should is not good, despite intuit feelings that is it. You want the cooling system to maintain the coolant at an optimum design temperature. When in doubt shoot a laser temp thingy at the thermostat housing. Should read 190-200*.

Re: "..Hummer fans & what not...": If you have money and time & like to re-engineer things as a hobby, or apply expensive band-aids, this is an excellent solution. If all you want to do is fix the problem properly and move on, then restore your stock stuff to proper condition and move on.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM

The fan clutch WAS shot, as soon as I started it up after I put a new one in it was blasting air like crazy. AND it was a 30 dollar fix. I even managed to superglue the shroud together again. Man, it feels good not having to dump any more money into the thing.

Rich, I know that the thermostat is definitely not stuck. I put my hand on the radiator when it was warming up, and I could feel the moment when the thermostat opened. You probably should know that this is my first car, so forgive me if I ask any stupid questions or say stupid stuff, I'm pretty green.