International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

New Wiring harnesses

ooook, I've heard good things about Zacks (Z&M Jeep) replacement harnesses. But, what about Painless Wirings' universal harnesses, or better yet, can their CJ harnesses be PAINLESSLY modified to work in an FSJ?

Their harnesses are nearly half the cost of the Z&M sets and Painless Wiring is right down the street from me.

Any thoughts? Any other options out there you guys and girls know of?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Master Mechanic

Painless makes a great trouble-free kit. I've used it many times and have been very happy with them. Make sure you have a good diagram of the insturment cluster however as that will be your hardest part. If you use the universal harness, or even the cj harness get the one with the gm steering column harness. I recommend the 18 circuit universal gm keyed harness for the most flexibility. the part# is 10201. Dennis
Old 09-25-2006, 06:14 AM
350 Buick

it just so happens that I am converting the Painless 18 circuit harness as we speak. I actually did not do any splicing and have completely replicated the old harness and even connected the wiring to the old oem connectors and the bulkhead connector. I have a write up on it and a few pics. If you need any info let me know. I am about to re-install it in the truck as we speak. I did however do a lot of re-wiring as many of the factory wiring decisions were not ideal for me. (Ie. I re-routed the wiring on the outside of the vehicle to the inside.) Most important thing to remember is to save the old harness. There are many connectors that you simply cannot replace and if you throw them away you are screwed.) If you have the time and the patience to sit and cut wiring and trace wires then go for it. I can probably save you some time if you use the painless harness as I am 90 percent percent done and I can save you time on finding some of the parts as I have the part numbers for the pins that you need to connect everything to the bulkhead connectors etc.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=54500

Here is a a link to the thread and I have one or two pics there but I have so many more pics.

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 09-25-2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Thank you for the replies.As soon as I get the drivetrain pirated from the '74 J20 and get it all rebuilt/swapped into my Wag I'll be heading towards the electrical and interior.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:22 PM

I used an enos black box in my 77 cherokee. I had custom gauges so that part was easier. Very happy with it so far.
Good luck

http://www.enoscustom.com/