International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 AM
258 I6

What it took to get the Bread Truck 4BT donor home

So a few months ago I found an '83 Ford bread truck with a "Cummings" motor for sale on Craigs List that was 45 miles South at a nursery. The truck has 345k mi but the engine only has about 60k miles on it. I talked the owner down in price and got the truck for $1500. The only issue with the truck was the master clutch cylinder was bad. The owner removed it, lost it and parked it 9 months ago. I searched the entire net for a replacement but no luck what so ever. The dealership said the part was discontinued.

So a month and a half later I had to get the truck out of the guys nursery. I needed to borrow by brother's trailer and my dad's heavy duty truck. Yesterday I left work about 3 to get my dad's truck. The truck was filled with horse manure so I had to help him take the manuer of the truck and spread it in his 1/3 acre garden. OK so now I got the truck.

Next I had to go get the trailer which was at one of my brother's construction sites. But I had to bring a BobCat which was at another site back to my dad's house to rototill the garden. Dropped off the Bobcat and headed south. But first I had to go to the auto parts store to replace about 4 heavy duty fuses on the truck because none of the brake lights or turn signals worked. The trailer always blew them. Time is now about 5pm and due to DC rush hour traffic it took me an hour and a half to get to where the truck was. I was not sure the truck was going to fit on the trailer but when I got there I measured and it looked like it would be ok.

Since I had no clutch I used a 2X4 to get the truck in gear by wedging it between the bracket and the clutch fork. Total Jury Rig! I got the truck up near the trailer and the owner used his BobCat to push it on the trailer. Going up the trailer ramp the 2 outside rear tires were off the trailer and one of the inner was flat. Filled it with air and continued up the rest of the way. Got it in the right spot and strapped it down tight. Left around 8pm. Started down the road up Route US 1 and could only go about 35 mph since the truck started bouncing, too much for me, on the trailer. So I decided to take the long way back home and stayed on Route 1 instead of I-95. I am keeping the truck at my dad's house so I have room to work on it and I got there around 10pm.

Started to take the truck off the trailer using the 2X4 method and my dad was supposed to be spotting me where to go. Well he did a pretty poor job. The right front tire came off the trailer and the truck frame was resting on the trailer. Time to get some cinder blocks, some wood and a jack. Jacked up the trailer and setup the ramp for the front tire. Came down nice and smooth. Pulled it up the driveway and parked it about 11pm.

I sure hope the 4BT swap goes smoother!

Thanks
Ed
Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Big Meanie

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

The 4BT swap will probably be less eventfull but definately not smooth, projects rarely are.
he's such big meanie that way...
please don't tell him i said that....
Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Master Mechanic

You earned a break there. Good luck to you.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Gear Head

Oh the crazy stuff we'll do for our FSJ's. Glad you got it home safely. Post pics of the 4bt swap. I am currently looking at either a 4bt swap or isb170/qsb4.5 swap. Suspect I'll go with a 4bt and get it balanced to minimize the idle vibration and noise- not too worried about the behavior while driving.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark j
Oh the crazy stuff we'll do for our FSJ's. Glad you got it home safely. Post pics of the 4bt swap. I am currently looking at either a 4bt swap or isb170/qsb4.5 swap. Suspect I'll go with a 4bt and get it balanced to minimize the idle vibration and noise- not too worried about the behavior while driving.

As the owner of a 6BT Dodge, I think you are dreaming about the vibration and noise. (most of the noise comes from the injection pump).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 04-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_digg
The truck was filled with horse manure so I had to help him take the manuer of the truck and spread it in his 1/3 acre garden. OK so now I got the truck.

Somehow, I think this was no coincidence
Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Big Meanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 710 Burner
As the owner of a 6BT Dodge, I think you are dreaming about the vibration and noise. (most of the noise comes from the injection pump).

As the former owner of a 6BT Dodge I agree, mostly, the 4BT's do vibrate a little more than the 6's.
he's such big meanie that way...
please don't tell him i said that....
Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 PM

After that ordeal, the swap should be a breeze!

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 710 Burner

I have a 4BT in my J300. Noise... Yes (but I don't have any insulation), but raising the idle a bit made all the vibration issues go away.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 PM

jeep cummins 4bt

maybe the 4bt vibrates alot because its not balanced, like the 1990 w250 6bt cummins i drive too?
1st year willys pre release model, 4bt cummins turbo diesel, sm465/203/205 o.r.d. gear doubler, 3 sticks, gear vendors o.d. d-60 rear powerlock, d-44 front powerlock, 2 tanks/39 galls, 20 mpg, ac, cruise, tilt, axle under sp/9" lift, 400k miles, restored in 1985, custom leer shell modified from 7' ranger, fold down bed, hickey sidewinder winch/12k
Old 04-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Gear Head

I am expecting noise and vibration for sure- love that in a diesel. I just don't want it to feel like the engine mounts are welded to the frame. From what I have read, balancing the rotating assembly along with a proper dampener does help. This is coming from people with experience with both. I am not expecting it to get to the level of a common rail, rear gear train engine. I hope to procure a 4bt in the very near future to start the swap. Growing up I used to love my friends dad's 69 ford short bed with a 4 cyl diesel swapped from a ford tractor. That thing used to rattle like crazy but was stupid reliable and got 20+ mpg. I look forward to pics of the transplant when available.