• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J20 project
    304 AMC
    • Dec 27, 2000

Dilemma

Got a problem....perhaps of my own making but just the same....

I have been slowly building on a 80 Chero wide track for a while. Mechanically just about where I want it. 44hd/8 bolt up front 3:73 ratio, D60 disc brake ARB, 3:73 out back. Fresh, and recently well tuned 70k mile 360 w/ Edelbrock package, hedman hearders, HEI,,,,etc, etc.. All new gaskets, doesn't leak( for now). On board air, air tank, relay package...
    The bad:
    While pretty much rust free, the das was trash so I gutted it and have a new dash mocked up. Interior is raw and miles away.

Now the problem:

Just acquired a 87, spinnaker blue(faded) GW w/ no motor, no tcase, no axles. but again..rust fee body, interior is complete if faded.

Do I swap and attempt a GW wide track? Or should I just slowly build the GW and use the Chero as a thumper?

J20
    BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
    775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Finish the Cherokee, once driveable make a plan and start on the GW.

Starting a 2nd project or combining two projects is a recipe for never finishing.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• letank
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 03, 2002

the dash and senders on the 87 are different than the 80... well you have no senders currently because no motor, but if you want to install the dash of the 87 to the 80, you will have to swap your oil pressure/coolant temp and gas gauge senders. For the 86 model and later the senders went sort of reverse on the resistance scale to the indication when compared to the 85.

As Tony said, getting motor/trans/axels... if another scavenger hunt...
      Michel
      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
        Finish the Cherokee, once driveable make a plan and start on the GW.

Starting a 2nd project or combining two projects is a recipe for never finishing.
        I agree 184%.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
        X