• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salt O'daniels
    232 I6
    • Jul 13, 2009

New to the FSJ community

Hey everybody, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I recently acquired a 1974 Cherokee. I have plenty of plans for it, but First i need to do a little rolling restoration. I need some electrical love, and general TLC. it runs and drives ok, but its far from something I would put to work quite yet.

Here are some current condition pictures.

a quick concept edit via photoshop

The original 401 was rebuilt in 97, its has an edelbrock carb and intake, and a really crappy dual exhaust. I picked it up in Payson AZ and I live down in Scottsdale. A decent local find.

Anyway My plans are

-4BTA Cummins swap
    -get the body looking good from 20 feet and some new paint
    -a decent 6" lift and some wheels and tires
    -Killer stereo system
    -Air Conditioning!!!!

My plans are pretty heavy, but I am figuring a 2 year time line to completion. This truck will mostly be a tow rig to the racetrack for my motorcycle road racing addiction

If anyone could point me towards a FAQ or info about a good suspension lift I would appreciate it!
    spark plugs are lame!
  • vintagetrks
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2009

Welcome aboard from Chino Valley Az. go to www.bjsoffroad.com they carry pretty much everything FSJ they have a very good 6'' lift kit. Alot of folks here will be wanting that 401 if you do the deisel conversion. Not sure if I would lose the 401 I hear they can be pretty gutsy engines. Any ways you got a nice solid rig as a starting point hope to see ya on the trails. You'll like the folks here their very friendly and helpful.
    New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
    My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
    90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• dajeeps
      327 Rambler
      • Jul 19, 2008

first of all welcome.a vendor here on the board bj's has what youre looking for lift kits.as for q and a scrool down to suspension and drive terrean it will answer alot of questions. or do a search at the top of the screen that helps out alot.
      82 wagoneer dd
      73 j4000 crewcab project

Comment

• Salt O'daniels
        232 I6
        • Jul 13, 2009

Originally posted by vintagetrks
        Welcome aboard from Chino Valley Az. go to www.bjsoffroad.com they carry pretty much everything FSJ they have a very good 6'' lift kit. Alot of folks here will be wanting that 401 if you do the deisel conversion. Not sure if I would lose the 401 I hear they can be pretty gutsy engines. Any ways you got a nice solid rig as a starting point hope to see ya on the trails. You'll like the folks here their very friendly and helpful.
        Thanks for the welcome. The 401 is strong, but I need better economy. I wont be going off road too much to be honest. its going to be mostly a street truck

I have been scouring BJ's site, but I guess their 6" kit wont fit a 1974 model
        spark plugs are lame!

Comment

• vintagetrks
          304 AMC
          • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by Salt O'daniels
          Thanks for the welcome. The 401 is strong, but I need better economy. I wont be going off road too much to be honest. its going to be mostly a street truck

I have been scouring BJ's site, but I guess their 6" kit wont fit a 1974 model
          If their spring kit does'nt work try looking at their shackle flip kit or check out some of the threads on shackle flips here you will get a little more than 6in of lift though. That rig will really do some serious hauling when you get the cummins in.
          New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
          My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
          90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• Salt O'daniels
            232 I6
            • Jul 13, 2009

Originally posted by vintagetrks
            If their spring kit does'nt work try looking at their shackle flip kit or check out some of the threads on shackle flips here you will get a little more than 6in of lift though. That rig will really do some serious hauling when you get the cummins in.
            Thanks for the heads up on the flip shackle. i will be getting in touch with BJ's this week
            spark plugs are lame!

Comment

• jaber
              Dragin Az
              • Oct 17, 2003

Another welcome from Chino and congrats on the nice find. I squeezed 17MPG out of a 360 with an RV cam and TBI. Theres lots of info on a DIY injection. might help you out.
              Jeff

'43 cj2a
              '51 Willys p/u
              '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
              '68 Panel Delivery
              '74 CJ5
              '75 J-20 Wrecker
              '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
              '77 J-10 p/u
              '79 Cherokee
              '88 Grand Wagoneer
              '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Salt O'daniels
                232 I6
                • Jul 13, 2009

Originally posted by jaber
                Another welcome from Chino and congrats on the nice find. I squeezed 17MPG out of a 360 with an RV cam and TBI. Theres lots of info on a DIY injection. might help you out.
                17mpg is great. I was told I will be looking at about 10 with the 401, 6-7 if its loaded. I am shooting for 25mpg with the cummins and the correct gearing and tire.
                spark plugs are lame!

Comment

• Danbert
                  327 Rambler
                  • May 23, 2006

Let the bidding for your 401 begin...
                  looks like you got some interesting things in mind for it. Keep the pics coming as you get stuff done. Welcome to it.
                  '83 Wagoneer LTD.
                  Vacuum elimated Dana front axle
                  Building stereo, window tint, roof rack, light bar, and other projects currently underway

Comment

• Salt O'daniels
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 13, 2009

Originally posted by Danbert
                    Let the bidding for your 401 begin...
                    looks like you got some interesting things in mind for it. Keep the pics coming as you get stuff done. Welcome to it.
                    are the 401's hard to come by? i figured it would make a great boat anchor
                    spark plugs are lame!

Comment

• dajeeps
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jul 19, 2008

boat anchor seriuosly though their is a place here that has been in business for 30 years and add 20 more if you count when the boys were on jeeps with their dad before they started the business.right now they are trying to sell their engines a lot of 401's and all the other engines used in our vehicals.and lots of other parts as well.quite impressive
                      82 wagoneer dd
                      73 j4000 crewcab project

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                        All Makes Combined
                        • Jun 30, 2003

LULZ n00b

Rob
                        1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                        Click for video

Comment

• Salt O'daniels
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 13, 2009

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                          Ohh I have no doubts they are capable, but I want 600 foot pounds at 2k rpm and 25mpg on the highway
                          spark plugs are lame!

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                            All Makes Combined
                            • Jun 30, 2003

Ohh I have no doubts they are capable, but I want 600 foot pounds at 2k rpm and 25mpg on the highway
                            I plan on going with a 4BT some day, document your progress well for us!
                            Rob
                            1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                            Click for video

Comment

• Salt O'daniels
                              232 I6
                              • Jul 13, 2009

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                              I plan on going with a 4BT some day, document your progress well for us!
                              Ohh I sure will. I just need to do more research about the 4bt before I start the swap so I can minimize downtime.
                              spark plugs are lame!

Comment

Working...
                              X