• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chief Gunner
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 10, 2006

Rebuilding my NP 228

A few weeks ago, my NP 228 gave up the ghost on the way home from work. Got my Jeep over to a friends house and we pulled the transfer case out and started tearing into it. Found that the rear output shaft bears blew up. We also found that the rear output shaft bearing on the rear half of the case was bad. I ordered a new case bearing, we had a spare transfer case that was cracked, so we plan on using the rear cone which has the output shaft I need, and I went ahead and ordered a new chain. I got everything back together rather easily, but when we put the new bearing in the back half of the case, it was extreamly tight going in (which is good). But when we put the rear shaft in, it keeps binding up. One of the spare cases we have appears to have a rear case half that is in good condition. I am thinking of just using this half as the bearing is in, it is good, and the shaft is already installed. Mt budy is worried that there might be small cracks in the rear half as the case took a pretty hard hit when the front half cracked. Is there any way for me to have the rear half of the case checked out for signs of cracks. I think at the end of the day, I am gonna use it and if I see leaks, I will source another rear half from somewhere else. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are???
    The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
    Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
    WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM
  • wag4x6
    258 I6
    • Feb 15, 2010

bump
    89 Grand Waggy, freshened up 360, 727, NP229, SOA/SF, highsteer w/ chevy knuckles, Dana 44's f/r, 35" Maxxis Big Horns, some rock rash and more to come....

R.I.P 87 Waggy

www.socalultimate4x4.com

Comment

Any cracks will usually be visible with it all cleaned up. A rear case from an AMC Eagle NP128 or 129 will swap but the front half is different (no hole for the low range lever I think)
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Any machine shop can check it for cracks, but some charge a lot.
        Call around and see, if you're worried about it.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Pmoreau
          232 I6
          • Jul 14, 2011

Have it magnafluxed.
          Paul
          '70 J4000

Comment

• capdaddy222
            258 I6
            • Aug 16, 2008

Originally posted by Pmoreau
            Have it magnafluxed.
            Magnaflux Wont work on aluminum. Dye Penatrant testing can work. There are multi stage sprays that you can do at home. But if you are doing this for the fist time, It would be better to take it to a machine shop and have them do it. The piece needs to be absolutely clean or it will show all kinds of false positives. That little piece of lint will look like a horrible crack. Good luck.
            86 Grand Wagoneer Work in Progress
            360 Toasted TF727 NP228
            4" Lift
            33x12.5x15" tires
            "Shaggy" the Waggy

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Yup, magna fluxing won't work on alum but if you want it checked talk to a good motorcycle shop. They're used to dealing with alum castings. They'll either recommend a good test shop or maybe a home use product.
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Pmoreau
                232 I6
                • Jul 14, 2011

I didn’t realize it was alum..
                Paul
                '70 J4000

Comment

Working...
                X