• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwinn
    360 AMC
    • Nov 05, 2001

AZ FSJ'ers April Trail Ride--Lake Pleasant to Crown King

Saturday, April 3rd. We can meet at the gravel parking lot on the southeast corner of the intersection of Hwy 74 (Carefree Highway) and I-17. The exit is #223. A good time to meet is 7:30am and plan on an 8:00 departure.

The trail is considered moderately difficult. For adequate clearance, I recommend a minimum of some lift with 31" tires in average or better condition. The judgement call is up to you though. Be sure and bring a good spare or two!

I'm still not sure if I'm camping up in Crown King but I'm kinda' leaning that way.

Here is the trail info:

LAKE PLEASANT TO CROWN KING TRAIL (rating: 3.0)

The Lake Pleasant to Crown King trail is a local favorite. On any given weekend, there will be numerous groups of four wheelers, ATV's and motorcycles heading to and from Crown King. It is a fun and scenic trail into the cooler pines of the Bradshaws.

The trail takes off from the Castle Hotsprings Rd and travels through the foot hills and up the side of the mountain, giving nice views of Lake Pleasant and the Valley.

The trail goes through the old ghost town of Oro Belle, and the cabin/ranch of Fort Misery both of which are remnants of the Mining era of the Bradshaw Mountains. All that remains now, are foundations and a few crumbling walls. Fort Misery makes a nice place to stop and eat lunch as the small creek usually has running water and there are trees to provide shade.

Once on top of the mountain, the trail runs through the cool pines and into Crown King. In Crown King there are places to eat and have a drink, and a general store that sells some excellent fudge. The old Crown King Saloon was actually built in Oro Belle, and later hauled up (many years ago) to Crown King and rebuilt. In Oro Belle, the saloon was built into the side of the hill, so the upstairs were mainly accessable from the rear of the building (at ground level). The upstairs served as a place repose for women of ill fame.

There are campgrounds on top of the mountain near Crown King for those wishing to stay overnight. The fastest way down is via the main road which leads through Cleator and toward Bumble Bee. You can split off and go through Cordes Junction, which will get you to the Freeway quicker, or keep going straight and go through the little town of Bumble Bee.

Alternatively, you can take the Senator Highway toward Prescott or Mayer, this can be a very interesting trail during snow season. If you have the time, follow Towers Mountain Rd through Crown King and up to the top of Towers Mountain, there are some excellent views and you can join back up with the Senator Highway afterward.

Tread Lightly
    ~Tom

Attendance Roster:

Tom---------------gwinn--------------camping
    George------------George Andrews-----?
    Robert--------- ---RyPhil---------------camping
    Steve-------------89Grand-------------?
    Ralph--------- ----Ralph (from AZ)------camping
    Mike---------------Will E---------------not camping
    Frank--------------AZ Frank------------camping
    Mike---------------Mike Adams---------?

[ April 02, 2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: gwinn ]
    1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

• ryphil
    232 I6
    • Aug 25, 2003

Can a full size 99 dodge make it without trashing itself? If so I have a friend who will probably tag along.

I will probably be camping in CK Saturday night myself. Unless we get done quite early, but I doubt that.
    RyPhil<br /><br />1986 GW DD BJ\'s 4\" lift and she\'s gotta nice rack!<br /><br />1953 Glasspar G2 in pieces in the back yard but used to be my DD<br /><br />And now a 2004 Mazda3. Its got air conditioning. I know all you folks in AZ are jealous!

Comment

• 89grand
      Resident ***hole
      • Feb 23, 2003

I'm looking at trying to organize another W-O-T for next Saturday, not this coming one but the next one. My front tranny seal is leaking pretty good and I'd feel better if I got it taken care of before this trip. This trip should be fun, but I'm not sure I want to tackle it if my tranny is still leaking like it is.
      Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
      31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
      2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
      2000 Jeep Wrangler
      1988 Cadillac Brougham
      1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
      1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• ryphil
        232 I6
        • Aug 25, 2003

The tranny fluid on your driveway?

Thats from my Jeep at the WoT....
        RyPhil<br /><br />1986 GW DD BJ\'s 4\" lift and she\'s gotta nice rack!<br /><br />1953 Glasspar G2 in pieces in the back yard but used to be my DD<br /><br />And now a 2004 Mazda3. Its got air conditioning. I know all you folks in AZ are jealous!

Comment

• ryphil
          232 I6
          • Aug 25, 2003

I just heard stories of 3ft deep ruts and a rise that we will need to get a running start to get over. At the rise I also heard we will nearly scrape one side and on the other is a serious drop. Sounds like fun.....

Comment

• gwinn
            360 AMC
            • Nov 05, 2001

Originally posted by ryphil:
            I just heard stories of 3ft deep ruts and a rise that we will need to get a running start to get over. At the rise I also heard we will nearly scrape one side and on the other is a serious drop. Sounds like fun.....
            You'll be amazed at how much more your Jeep can handle now that you have it lifted. Though you're likely to take on the obstacles, most have bypasses.
            A few years ago I pulled a drunk motorcyclist back up one of those shear droppoffs. (about 40 ft). On one arm his skin was opened up down to the muscle from elbow to wrist. I patched him up using a roll of paper towels, a bottle of iodone, 7 gallons of water and duct tape. I did such a good job that he and his buddies opted to ride out instead of ditching his bike and catching a ride to the hospital. Just thought I'd share that CK story with you.
            This trail is challenging, but I see no problems for a one's lifted FSJ with halfway decent rubber and a handfull of his FSJ brothers along to back him up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ March 21, 2004, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: gwinn ]

Comment

• will e
              Always Broke
              • Nov 16, 2001

Yep. If your gonna do it, bring your FSJ friends with you!

Tom, sign me up. It is tentative at this point but I would love to make this trip.

89Grand. I have a 4" lift and 31" tires too. You will be amazed at how much this helps!
              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• 89grand
                Resident ***hole
                • Feb 23, 2003

I took a trip out the Coves yesterday and the first hill climb you come to had some pretty big ruts in it and I was a little concerned but I took it anyway(it can be bypassed). I got stuck the first time but when backed up a little and got the right line I walked right up it. Then when you drop into the first cove there are like 3 different way to go down into the wash, again there were some good sized ruts but I went right down on the far right path. Coming back up was a little different because it was dark, and again once I got the right line I went right up.

I'm still getting used to being higher because I feel like I'm going to hit underneath or something but I never did. Being 4" higher makes a big difference. I did knock off my left rear bumper guard off on that first hill, but it's not very strong since I knocked it off a few years ago in Crown King.
                Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
                31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
                2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
                2000 Jeep Wrangler
                1988 Cadillac Brougham
                1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
                1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• ryphil
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 25, 2003

I replaced my muffler today and got the crack in my frame fixed yesterday. I'm trying to get everything as ready as possible for this run. Ever since I got my Jeep I have been wanting to go to CK again. Last time I was there was about 20 years ago in my '68 Suburban.

Is it the 3rd yet?

Comment

• gwinn
                    360 AMC
                    • Nov 05, 2001

Originally posted by ryphil:
                    Can a full size 99 dodge make it without trashing itself? If so I have a friend who will probably tag along.
                    No guarantees on the damage. All of us are subject to damage when playing on these rocks.
                    For non-FSJ's participating on our trail rides all we require is that they don't have a problem being asked to move aside when we're taking photos for personal, as well as, for FSJ magazine use. I know it sounds discriminatory, but we're just a bunch of mean Full Size Jeepers! Grrrr!

Originally posted by will e:
                    Tom, sign me up. It is tentative at this point but I would love to make this trip.
                    Hey Mike, keep me posted when you know for sure. Just need to know if we need to find another mini-grill connection.

Comment

• ryphil
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 25, 2003

Who is planning on staying overnight? I am planning on it and will bring a propane stove and lantern. I'll probably sleep in the Jeep.

My son and I went out toward Bartlett yesterday. We found a 3ft rut. We went right into it. The whole Jeep felt like it was going to go over. Scared the crap out of my youngest. It was great. No problem at all.

Comment

• fatbob309
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 19, 2003

You all have fun and be safe. Now that I have the jeep up and around and it can go wheeling, I started working on sat so I cant make it... Grrrrr
                        81 Cherokee W/T

Comment

• AzFrank aka Desertson
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 19, 2002

I prefer body damage by the means of work related not by wheel'n.
                          I would realy like to go,and do overnighter too. I'll see how things pan out.
                          Respect our Mother Earth,<br />Pack it in pack it out,<br />and Keep-A-Jeepin\'<br />My \'79 Cherokee motto<br />\"Old an slow and wanna be off road\"<br />Her name,Spirit of Arizona

Comment

• gwinn
                            360 AMC
                            • Nov 05, 2001

Originally posted by AzFrank aka Desertson:
                            I prefer body damage by the means of work related not by wheel'n.
                            I would realy like to go,and do overnighter too. I'll see how things pan out.
                            The work related body damage is always best when the boss covers the repair costs.
                            This trail really shouldn't take any bites out of our FSJ's, but I've been known to make a stupid maneuver or 2 where even a housecat of a trail takes a chomp.
                            I'll count you in Frank!

Comment

• will e
                              Always Broke
                              • Nov 16, 2001

Who's plannin on Camping. I might have to join you all.

Tom. Any permits or stuff required? I know you would have checked into it but I have to ask...
                              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

Working...
                              X