International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

HEI distributor upgrade on my '90

I tried searching the Archives and came up short...maybe it's just me. When I upgrade to the HEI distributor, do I do away with all the factory stuff, INCLUDING the driver's fender mounted ignition box/module? And could someone recommend a particular wire for tapping into as a "keyed hot"?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:13 PM

yes,you dump all the stock stuff. you can use the big red wire going to the stock ignition box,or just use the coil wire,your '90 should have 12 volt power to the coil,but do verify that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 12-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Thanks Mike!
Sooo...I just cut the red wire (going to the stock box) and run extra red wire to the new distributor and that is all there is to it?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:21 PM

yep,i'd use the coil + if it's a full power line,closer to the distributor. also,i would leave all the stock wiring for the stock ignition in place,in case you needed to throw it all back in due to a ignition failure.pack some grease into the plugs and zip-tie them out of the way.

Quote:

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 12-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

10-4 on the + coil wire...I had already thought about leaving all of the factory stuff in place, and unmolested IN CASE OF EMERGENCY

Thanks again Mike!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

it totally slipped my mind

I will need to pull the distributor gear off of my stock distributor and install it on the new HEI distributor, correct? I suppose the dist./cam gears will mesh together again/ok afterwards

*that plug wire looks MIGHTY close to that P/S pump...

Last edited by bowtieman55 : 12-02-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Cowboy Up

It's possible to put the distributor gear on 180* off on an AMC because of the way it's drilled. JunkYardGenius posted a bunch of info here on the HEI swap...
Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

now I'm confused...

maybe I should just go with the TFI upgrade
Old 12-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Cowboy Up

Here's the wiring: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ht=distributor
Old 12-02-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieman55
now I'm confused...

maybe I should just go with the TFI upgrade

just put your old gear on,and don't force the roll pin through,if it bind,pull it out and turn the gear a half turn and re-install it.

you may need a longer power steering belt,to swing the pump out a little more for wire clearance.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 12-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Cowboy Up

Check post 20 here for a pic/info of the gear set up: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...stributor+gear
Old 12-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Master Mechanic

Of course, if your 180 off, all you have to do is pop it out and spin it 180, and set it back in. Getting the slot in the oil pump to line up right was more of a hassle for me.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Of course, if your 180 off, all you have to do is pop it out and spin it 180, and set it back in. Getting the slot in the oil pump to line up right was more of a hassle for me.
Yeah, on that... figure that the gear starts to mesh before the slot on the distributor drops into the notch on the pump shaft. Turn the pump shaft notch a lil clockwise from where your gears start to mesh and it'll go (within a couple tries).
Old 12-02-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Yard Genius
To really make an HEI sing, you will have to put in a large feed wire, and that will require a relay.
The relay just has 4 connections, two for the heavy feed wire, one connects to the yellow harness wire, and the last to a ground.
Easy to do and will supply the HEI with the current it needs to put out at maxium levels.

i need to do this,that is a wimpy feed line i'm using.

but i'm never going back to ported vacuum on the advance unit!

Quote:

Quote:

Old 12-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
Check post 20 here for a pic/info of the gear set up: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...stributor+gear

OMG...that is simply amazing!!!

I really want to thank all of yall for helping me through this! Luckily, going with the HEI Distributor isn't going to be a wiring mess/problem, and now I've got solutions to possible issues when installing the new distributor.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

ugg...after JYG's post, I'm again caught between a rock and a hard place...

where's the "smilie" for pulling the rest of my hair out???
Old 12-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

ok, so
1) I would need to use the YELLOW wire in the harness going to the stock ignition box on the fender?

2) That ADAPTER; it sits on top of the HEI cap in place of the factory HEI coil?

3) Use a Ford style E-Core coil (remotely mounted) with a "spark plug" wire running from it over to that ADAPTER?

and that pretty much sums up "hopping up" the HEI distributor upgrade?

*just for reference; if I were to do the "remote coil" upgrade, I would use MSD part #8227...now, that particular coil is shown to provide 48,000 volts compared to the HEI "in cap" coil that provides 52,000 volts. What gives?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-AMC-CJ5-CJ7-GM-HEI-Distributor-V8-290-TO-401_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33690QQihZ016QQitem Z260060179101QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited by bowtieman55 : 12-03-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

wow...this thread is VERY INFORMATIVE!

I appreciate EVERYONES input, and I hope that I don't seem like an ***, but maybe it's just best if I do the E-Core (TFI ) upgrade and be done with it...

I am definitely keeping this thread page in my favorites for quick reference
Old 12-03-2006, 08:20 AM

same cap and rotor in '90 and '91.

put the HEI in,as is for now,it'll run fine,and then do the added stuff JYG mentions little by little,i know i need to get some better supply power to mine,and a separate ground like he mentions.

do use the yellow power wire,instead of the coil wire like i said,even if the coil wire is 12 volt,it's too small.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 12-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Grease Monkey

Talking

yes, I agree this tread is sacked full of invaluable knowledge. maybe i just seem as lost as the next guy. I would like to know if this HEI upgrade would be worth it to a guy in my needs. 360/727/219. but the catch is that I live up 7,000ft elevation and like to go to the mountains. I would like to go EFI in the future(maybe) just want it to run good and be able to take me up a few hills with out getting flooded out. I am running the smallest jets possible. Would TFI be better than HEI? Will be adding a cam and headers soon.
80 J-10 with 3in RC lift,1 in. shackles, buckshot M/T 33's. dual glasspack exhaust,eldobrock intake/carb/valve covers/aircleaner k&n, autometer tach, spare tire mount w/ fullsize spare,tool box, 40gal spare tank, grant steering wheel, rhino grill,DPA (Not installed Doug T's Headers, Hi lift jack, cobra cb,tie rods, & dual timing chain

Last edited by Heep80 : 12-03-2006 at 01:19 PM.