• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoadRacer_Al
    232 I6
    • Jun 18, 2018

AMC 327 factory engine colors?

Hello folks -

Talking about a 67 Gladiator with the AMC 327 Vigilante motor.

I've decided that since I have to send out the TH400 for a rebuild, I have the parts to rebuild the t-case, the radiator needs hot-tanking, and the heads are already at the machinist... I might as well pull the block out for new rings and to dingle-ball the cylinders.

That gives me the opportunity to repaint the motor.

The question which a few minutes of Googling couldn't answer is: what is the factory color? I seem to recall seeing pictures of red motors.

Thanks for any advice.

PS - actually found shiny mylar reproduction "327 Vigilante" valve cover sticker on eBay - $15, and it makes me disproportionally happy.
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

I believe the jeep 327s were gold and the rambler motors were red. I went with red for mine. The valve cover decals are a nice touch and decent quality.
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
      232 I6
      • Jun 18, 2018

I did a little deeper dive on the subject, and found that the standard motors were a pale yellow color, and the motors for a Grand Wagoneer were pale yellow with gold valve colors.

The pale yellow is not offered by any of the usual engine paint/high temp suspects - VHT, Duplicolor, Rustoleum, etc.

I did find this link, which describes the color as "Clay Tan"

Authorized Manufacturers Reseller of Stove Paint by Dampney Company and Alvin Products Lab-metal, Hi-Temp Lab-metal, Endcor Rust Conversion Coatings, Telcon, Galvax and Heat Block. We ship to continental US and Canada.

I like the gold valve covers, so I'll do that.

Comment

• 440sixpack
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 21, 2016

I've seen lots of gold ones, the whole engine. thought it was original but I'm not sure.

motor coater has all the AMC blues and they have the Oldsmobile gold. unless you're going for a conquers restoration I bet that would pass with about anyone.

Comment

• FSJunkie
          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
          • Jan 09, 2011

The Vigilante 327 was painted a tan color. This same engine used in AMC cars was painted red, but in Jeeps it was tan.

A gold similar to Oldsmobile gold was used on the 343 V8, which was never used in Jeeps.

Promotional pictures of the 327 with chrome valve covers or other chrome pieces were purely promotional. There were no chrome pieces what so ever on production engines.
          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• 440sixpack
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 21, 2016

I've seen the tan too, I thought that was aftermarket. my dad bought a '66 Wagoneer brand new and it was a copper/gold color. I remember changing oil in it .

Maybe there were variations by year or plant.

Comment

• Stumplake
              230 Tornado
              • Nov 13, 2012

engine color

So I have the original motor for my 65 J-3600 on a stand.
              It has remnants of a yellow?light greenish colour everywhere.
              I believe the trucks were painted this colour.Red fan and pulley.
              Wags were different- red? Super Wags had gold valve covers I think

W

Comment

Working...
              X