• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wylder
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2015

My new project '82 stepside

Hey guys, I picked up this truck about 10 months ago. No title just a bill of sale. This is the second stepside I've picked up in the last two years with no title. I guess people give up jumping through the hoops. Lucky for me my wife is extremely patient and focused on the details. She had both trucks titled within a week. It was overheating even with a new PO installed water pump. It also wouldn't pass smog, but I've gone through smog quite a bit with all my jeep projects and new I could get it through. Water pump was as I suspected was the wrong rotation. Problem solved with correct pump. Truck is a 1982 J10 stepside,98000 miles on the 258, T5, originally silver with red Honch stripes, the outlines are still barely visible. I think the trans is a replacement but it is the second California step side I found with a 258/T5 combo. All the gauges and idiot lights worked which was a plus. It has minor rust 1/2 hole in the roof due to over zealous application of seal sealer at factory. This is second one that had a glob of sealer as big as my fist in the roof ?! I put on a 4' lift, 35in BFGs, new steering, Bilstein shocks, brakes plus lines, gears, rebuilt the transmission. I did have the outside bolster on the drivers seat redone in original scratchy material , but other than that the seats were in great shape. Frame is "California rusty" and It still has white marks and numbers from the assembly. Next step is to paint and reinstall the stripe kit https://photos.app.goo.gl/G2Twj8mwzPVbgzvw5
  • wylder
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2015

Just an update. I rechecked my vin and it was a factory 258/T5 combo. Fifth number is N not an M as I thought.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

just went thru the photos of your fsj's

man your yard is an FSJ TREASURE TROVE.

the recent silver step side has an awesome stance.

put me on the list if you have to thin the heard.

they are some dry, rust free vehicles.....

thanx for sharing.

dave in NC
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I need to roadtrip up there and check your place out! So much goodness!

I am with you; not scared of missing titles or failed smog checks. Easiest way to get through smog is a Howell and a new cat. Works almost every time!
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• madmikeX3
          258 I6
          • Jul 23, 2009

Great looking trio of Jeeps!
          Just Empty Every Pocket
          1980 Jeep Cherokee W/T
          Nice Jeep Bro!!!! Do some Jeep Stuff!!!!.

Comment

• lycanthrope
            258 I6
            • Mar 26, 2007

Wow. You have cleaned that truck up amazing!

You should post some before shots.

Did you put that fender back together? It doesn’t look like a new fender (the ones with the up-tilted step).
            tommy
            '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
            '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
            '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
            '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
            '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

• wylder
              232 I6
              • Jan 01, 2015

Thanks for all the compliments. I did rebuild the fender that was broken. I bought a new fender from BJs but it had a kick up on the step, so I was going to have to cut a new fender and reglass it so I decided to just rebuild the original. I'm keeping the new fender in case I crunch this one or find another stepside that needs one. Jeep drives great and runs as good as I'm able to get it. I've thought about a Hesco or Howell kit but worry about messing with this one too much. I have a Hesco on the Scrambler and it runs great, but this truck came to me in such good shape I'm a little hesitant. Next step is paint and stripes. My obsession is hitting hard right now. I found a 1975 Jeep J20 with a custom tray bed with drop down sides. Paint or project, what to do. I'll post up picks when it's finally finished.

Comment

Working...
              X