• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeephabit3
    232 I6
    • Mar 22, 2008

J10 vs J20 Frame ?

In general are J10 and J20 Frames equal in strength? I am looking at doing a Truggy out of my 74 J20 but don't want the 130" wheelbase. It seems like a good option to just use a J10 Frame since the wheelbase is at 116" which is much more reasonable for a Truggy and not mess with cutting down the J20 frame. The J20 already has a newer front axle, 401/727/NP208 as it sits now which I would like to keep.
    82 Wagoneer ("No Lift" - 37's)
    79 J20 Project (soon to be tow rig)
  • HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Frames are the same as compared year to year.

keep the frames in the same general era and all should be fine. Or you can even find a wag or chero frame which again will be the same from the mid section up. That would give you a 109" wheel base vs. the 119" of a 7ft. J10.
    Tom Gibson
    1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
    1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
    1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
    2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• jaber
      Dragin Az
      • Oct 17, 2003

If theres any doubt, you could finish boxing the frame on the 10 the rest of the way back.
      Jeff

'43 cj2a
      '51 Willys p/u
      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
      '68 Panel Delivery
      '74 CJ5
      '75 J-20 Wrecker
      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
      '77 J-10 p/u
      '79 Cherokee
      '88 Grand Wagoneer
      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• jeephabit3
        232 I6
        • Mar 22, 2008

So would swapping the powertrain, axles, etc. out to a Waggy/J10 frame be easier than cutting the J20 frame to shorten it? I have not done a stretch/shrink before so I am trying to figure out which is less effort.
        82 Wagoneer ("No Lift" - 37's)
        79 J20 Project (soon to be tow rig)

Comment

• Elliott
          Cowboy Up
          • Jun 22, 2002

No, just shorten the J20 frame, move the axles and be done with it. The waggy has too narrow of an axle and the Jtruck has a wider rear frame/spring pad distance.
          *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
          ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
            Banned
            • Mar 01, 2009

Okay...i'm way late weighing in here...but...

J20 frames have the 119" wheelbase boss stamped into the frame rails. What is this? its where the 119" WB front spring-eye bolt goes through the frame for the rear leaf-springs. it is about 12" forward of the 131" WB spring hanger for the front spring-eye of the rear leaf springs. This pic is of the shortened J20...131" WB down to 119" WB.

The spring shackles are stronger on the J20s than the J10s/Wag/Cherokees.

The frame wall thickness is about 40-50% thicker than the Cherokee/Wagoneer frame walls. Wag/Cherokee =.125".
            J-trucks = approximately .188".

The J-truck Frame rails do "crank-out" behind the tranny crossmember so the J-truck rear axles have wider/more laterally stable spring mounting points than the Wag/Cherokees. You can inboard the rear springs and relocate the spring perches on the rear axle, but its more work.

The big killer is the 57" long rear leafspring packs...I think that's right...maybe 53"...anyway they're long. I chopped the frame off just behind the moved forward rear spring hangers, and chopped the bed...this is about as "bobbed" as you can go...

So, down-side:
            The longer rear springs increase rear overhang, so you need to go BIG with tires and lift to compensate...or totally ditch the rear leafsprings and go 4-link and coil-overs.

Also: on J-trucks the width of tire is limited by the tire's inner sidewall proximity to the rear leafspring packs. It can be .25" with 4" backspacing on a 15x8" wheel and a 13.50x33 Swamper. This is max. Actually too close for my comfort.
            Last edited by Tinkerjeep; 03-30-2012, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X