• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J20_505
    232 I6
    • Nov 02, 2012

Feeler: AMC Jeep neon garage sign

I pass by a local neon shop on a regular basis, and finally stopped in to talk to the owner about the possibility of making me an AMC Jeep sign for my garage. I proposed a sign like the picture below

Dimensions would be about 24"Lx18"Hx6"D
    For a basic AMC Jeep lettered sign, he said it'd be around $400-425. With the AMC logo, and Jeep outlined in a secondary color, it'd most likely be around $600-625 for a ready run sign. According to him, his signs will last 35+ years with continuous use.

I'm interested in a sign for my garage, but figured I should post up a feeler just incase other members would be interested. The shop owner said the sign would be able to be shipped, as long as it is double boxed. This idea is just in the planning stage, so I don't have a rendering of the finished product, but if there is any interest I'd be happy to pursue the possibility
    1975 J20 360/T18/D20
    1975 Cherokee 360/T18/D20
    1965 Ford Galaxie Custom 500 289/Cruise-O-Matic
    1965 Ford Galaxie 500 XL parts car
    2000 Ford F350 7.3L ZF6 4X4
    2013 Ford Utility PI
  • austinaubinoe
    360 AMC
    • Aug 08, 2010

Id be interested if I could see a final product first. Would make a nice centerpiece for the new shop when its completely set up. Been waiting for a real one to show up for a few years now...
    Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
    5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
    SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
    -1994 Baby Grand
    -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
    -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
    -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
    i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
    i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• J20_505
      232 I6
      • Nov 02, 2012

Originally posted by austinaubinoe
      Id be interested if I could see a final product first. Would make a nice centerpiece for the new shop when its completely set up. Been waiting for a real one to show up for a few years now...
      If at least 5 members are interested, I'll stop by on Friday and see what he can do as far as a rendering of the final product. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I have the spare cash to go ahead and have one built.

Examples of his work can be found on his website: http://absolutelyneon.com/
      1975 J20 360/T18/D20
      2013 Ford Utility PI

Comment

• Oolah10293
        232 I6
        • Oct 17, 2009

I'm interested

Comment

• Tripwire
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 30, 2000

I dont want to come across sounding like a jerk and no dissing of anyone on the board.....

men and black and I went thru a similar concept with OEM paperwork, alot of effort was put into the project because we had just enough interested people to make it worth the effort

they all declined at the end for various reasons, so be careful what you promise the sign maker or you may end up eating a significant amount of money. its hard to get cash commitments without a finished product

Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• FSJ Guy
            • Mar 20, 2005

Also, I'd look at EL wire, too. Tons cheaper. and can look similar.
            Ethan Brady
            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• BGW
              350 Buick
              • Jan 02, 2009

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
              Also, I'd look at EL wire, too. Tons cheaper. and can look similar.
              I was about to say the same thing! Neon's day has come and gone. EL wire trumps neon in almost every way. He's exaggerating the lifespan quite significantly. Like any discharge lamp, neon's vibrancy fades over time. 10 years of continuous use is more on par (before the intensity fades to barely noticeable). I had to look into this in depth when I was weighing options for replacing the 100s of feet of neon accent lighting in my old school's art deco auditorium.

I was working on a backlit AMC sign, but I don't have access to the laser cutters anymore.

However, if the AMC triangles are different colors, I may be interested. An older American Motors sign (the circular logo) would be cool, too.
              Last edited by BGW; 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM.
              1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• J20_505
                232 I6
                • Nov 02, 2012

Originally posted by Tripwire
                I dont want to come across sounding like a jerk and no dissing of anyone on the board.....

men and black and I went thru a similar concept with OEM paperwork, alot of effort was put into the project because we had just enough interested people to make it worth the effort

they all declined at the end for various reasons, so be careful what you promise the sign maker or you may end up eating a significant amount of money. its hard to get cash commitments without a finished product

So far I haven't promised the sign maker anything. I did inquire about the possibility of a discount if a large order was placed. He said he strives to give the lowest price possible, and that the price would be the same. The figures he gave are estimates, and that the price might be less depending on the labor, but not more than the estimate.

I do appreciate your consideration, and I've had to eat cost a few times. Life happens, I get that.

Originally posted by BGW
                Neon's day has come and gone. EL wire trumps neon in almost every way. He's
                exaggerating the lifespan quite significantly. Like any discharge lamp, neon's
                vibrancy fades over time. 10 years of continuous use is more on par (before the
                intensity fades to barely noticeable). I had to look into this in depth when I
                was weighing options for replacing the 100s of feet of neon accent lighting in
                my old school's art deco auditorium.
                That may be true, I really can't comment on the life span of his work other than the civic work he's done. Seems to have held up to the elements just fine. I looked into EL wire, and it does appear to be a cheaper alternative to neon. Personally, I really like neon, and all my favorite shop signs are neon. However, I've never seen a neon AMC sign.
                1975 J20 360/T18/D20
                2013 Ford Utility PI

Comment

Working...
                X