• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chuck Brown
    327 Rambler
    • Feb 17, 2008

At long last....

Boys, the day has come?and after 4 long months of waiting to take delivery on my 77 Cherokee Chief, the transport truck finally showed up at my place today!

I found it on Craigslist, after months of scouring the local papers and internet following the moment I saw the ol? Bargain Beater episode last year and after all this time I am only now able to climb inside and actually lay hands on what I bought.

She aint as pretty as most, but she?s an Arizona rig that was hauled East and the previous owner dumped about $7500 in mechanical work including a new 401. He had gone to the effort of having it stripped down at a body shop in his area in preparation of full body and paint work, but when the place folded he spent the next year trying to get it back.

Finally, after he got it back, his wife informed him that a baby will soon be on the way and he had to liquidate.

I watched it posted on Craigslist for about a month, and when he was finally motivated to work on the price, I was able to close the deal, and he was nice enough to hang onto it til winter passed and I could get a transport company to make the long haul with it.

(By the way, if you ever need a rig hauled for a REASONABLE price from Ohio east and southward, the folks at Road Dog transport were second to none.)

All the bolt-ons, bumpers, trim, etc? had been removed by the PO and were nicely boxed away in back along with a new set of shocks in the box, extra carb and other miscellaneous materials he had sunk into the project.

Now that Ive gone on at length about my day, I wanna hit you guys up with a question or two to see what your thoughts and experiences have been.

A.) Has anybody here ditched the back seat, just to run as a two-seater? I?m mostly looking at tool and bush country gear storage, and started to toy with the idea today.

B.) Anybody have any tips, suggestions or pitfalls for when I lift the chassis off the frame and get her on my rotisserie?

I?m going to send her out for stripping and full ceramic epoxy coating treatment that they do about 5 miles down the road from my place. It makes the surface practically impregnable (they tend to use it a lot around here on tractor trailers and heavy equipment).

Thanks as always fellas?.

Chuck Brown
    Last edited by Chuck Brown; 11-02-2008, 05:30 PM.
    Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
    Works in progress:
    1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
    1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift
  • shimniok
    360 AMC
    • Jan 08, 2003

Congrats! I've had the back seat out of mine once or twice while wheeling. With a Chero having 2 seats may make more sense anyway... you'd end up with a lot of room. Rig up some kind of boxes / cargo mounting system and you could load up enuf stuff for a heck of a long trip
    Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
    1986 Grand Wagoneer "Troubled Child" ? tc.wagoneer.org ? Facebook ? KØFSJ
    Stock 360, TBI, 727 with TransGo, NP208, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MT, WT Axles, Lock Right & ARB, OBA

Comment

• Gil
      258 I6
      • Dec 01, 2007

Congrats!!! I know how painful the wait is. I run with the back seat as I am a poser, i.e. don't go offroad and need to put the baby seat back there. Next I will throw some mud on the rig to make it look like I went somewhere
      Gil
      1980 Cherokee Chief

Comment

• krek
        Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

That's cool, congrats on getting it home.

I drooled over a project for sale for a year, finally pulled the trigger on it last December and it should be here in 5 weeks.

Someone said "patience is a virtue".
        SuperChief Project Thread: click

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click

Comment

• Mack_T
          258 I6
          • Dec 04, 2006

Nice Cherokee!

Man I see everyone getting these Cherokee's and I want one now. Oh well, I'll just have to stick with my Grand Wag for now

The back seat in my Grand comes out easy, and I'm sure you could easily remove the hinge peices that are attached to the floor (looks like 3 bolts each). There is a step down in the floor of the wag (I bet it's the same in the Cherokee) that you would have to deal with if you wanted a tool box up there. Tons of room without the backseat though! I think it's over 7 feet of floor space, although that number gets small quickly as you get taller cargo; the tailgate angles inward, and the front seats angle toward the cargo area as well.

Congrats on finally getting your Cherokee though!

Clay
          1987 Grand Wagoneer Daily Driver "The Family Wagon"
          Bilstein 5125's, 9" front, 8.5" rear
          CA legal (stock) 360 with a flipped a/c lid
          Rough Country 3" front springs
          Rough Country AAL/ block rear
          Custom interior bicycle rack
          -------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.carleynet.net/familypictures
          www.sonic.net

Comment

No, but I'm looking for a back seat to go in mine if anybody wants to part with one.
            Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
            Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Cherokee Outlaw
              • Jan 10, 2006

-Jonny B.
              1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
              7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
              AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
              NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
              F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
              R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Wagoneer - Sold
              1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• cajun_lad
                350 Buick
                • Feb 17, 2006

Originally posted by Valdez Explorer
                No, but I'm looking for a back seat to go in mine if anybody wants to part with one.
                Getting ready to ditch mine after this weekend. Originally tan vinyl/leather, painted black with vinyl spray paint by the PO. The seat itself is in excellent condition for being 30 yrs old. The paint is peeling in some places, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get it all off. Don't know how bad shipping would be though.
                Joey
                Jeep-Less

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                  304 AMC
                  • Aug 22, 2003

hadn't any use for the back seat, being just the wife and me, big dog in back can use the room. Have two plastic boxes straped down in rear by gate for liquids and parts, tool box is laying right behind drivers seat.
                  Have kept rear seat outside, unfortunately, as shed is full of misc., cloth seat is taking it ok for now, usually semi protected from weather so is still useable when I want to put it in.
                  "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
                  Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
                  Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

• woodironman
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 29, 2006

hey Chuck nice score what part of Canada you from.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun_lad
                      Getting ready to ditch mine after this weekend. Originally tan vinyl/leather, painted black with vinyl spray paint by the PO. The seat itself is in excellent condition for being 30 yrs old. The paint is peeling in some places, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get it all off. Don't know how bad shipping would be though.
                      I PM'd you.
                      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• Chuck Brown
                        327 Rambler
                        • Feb 17, 2008

Originally posted by woodironman
                        hey Chuck nice score what part of Canada you from.
                        Thanks man, Im about 15 minutes south of Montreal and about 25 minutes north of the NY State border!
                        Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
                        Works in progress:
                        1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
                        1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift

Comment

Working...
                        X