X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wagoneer Taylor
    258 I6
    • Dec 17, 2018

We are still working on it so I will pick up from here as to what we do. I am sure I missed some things trying to remember it all, so I will be more diligent from now on.

And thus begins the next stage of the Wedding Wagon, which will be the 401 install! (and maybe I'll fix some rust along the way)

401 Teaser!
    Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
    Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
    PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
    "Soon" is a relative term.
    Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• Driftwood
      350 Buick
      • Jun 12, 2000

Your efforts make me want to do more work on my 79! I have similar issues....floor rust, engine "Ticking", etc. etc.

What are your plans for the 360? I REALLY need non-AC alternator mounting hardware.

Congratulations on your recent wedding!

I'm subscribed!
      1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
        350 Buick
        • Jun 12, 2000

I serviced my fuel system. PM me if you need advice. I didn't replace the tank. The PO drilled a 1/2 inch hole into it, so I sealed the hole with 2 part epoxy.
        I also replaced ALL fuel lines. There are many and in various sizes. Here's a link.... Removed my QuadraTrac and fuel tank

Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
        1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
          350 Buick
          • Jun 12, 2000

Rockauto sells carpet! I will place a order soon!

With the interior as good as its going to get for now, i installed the new carpet. I only got the front two sections ( i have planes for the rear trunk area ) so it will stay matte black back there for now.
          1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
            350 Buick
            • Jun 12, 2000

I replaced my vacuum actuator. It requires the removal of the QuadraTrac transfer case. Keep in mind if yours is the QuadraTrac, which I'm certain it is, you are full time 4wd. The actuator, when pulled, places the QuadraTrac into Emergency Drive.
            I was surprised to learn that max speed in E-Drive is only 20 mph. Thats in accordance with the Tech Service Manual.

Pics here......QuadraTrac BW1339 pictures. PM me if you have questions.

Does anyone know of a thread on here about the vacuum actuator for the 4WD?
            I searched for a long time but didn't find anything.
            I am mostly looking for a replacement since mine is bad, I have seen some mechanical replacements that are a steel line that actuates it instead of vacuum. But they are for CJs of similar years. Does anyone know of these working for Wagons?
            1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
              258 I6
              • Dec 17, 2018

Originally posted by Driftwood
              Your efforts make me want to do more work on my 79! I have similar issues....floor rust, engine "Ticking", etc. etc.

What are your plans for the 360? I REALLY need non-AC alternator mounting hardware.

Congratulations on your recent wedding!

I'm subscribed!
              Thanks! Your 79 looks amazing i would never guess it has rust. These FSJs seem to though.

My plan for the 360 was to sell it once its out, you can have the mounting brackets when i pull it though, (as long as i dont need them for the 401 ill have to check) It wont be for a while though.
              Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                258 I6
                • Dec 17, 2018

I serviced my fuel system. PM me if you need advice. I didn't replace the tank. The PO drilled a 1/2 inch hole into it, so I sealed the hole with 2 part epoxy.
                I also replaced ALL fuel lines. There are many and in various sizes. Here's a link.... Removed my QuadraTrac and fuel tank
                I already did the fuel system but thanks for the support! I will check out your link to see if i want to change anything.
                Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 17, 2018

I replaced my vacuum actuator. It requires the removal of the QuadraTrac transfer case. Keep in mind if yours is the QuadraTrac, which I'm certain it is, you are full time 4wd. The actuator, when pulled, places the QuadraTrac into Emergency Drive.
                  I was surprised to learn that max speed in E-Drive is only 20 mph. Thats in accordance with the Tech Service Manual.

Pics here......QuadraTrac BW1339 pictures. PM me if you have questions.
                  I need to investigate my system further, the vacuum lines are all disconnected currently. I have external locking hubs, does this nullify the all time 4WD?
                  Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• Driftwood
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 12, 2000

I need to investigate my system further, the vacuum lines are all disconnected currently. I have external locking hubs, does this nullify the all time 4WD?
                    Yes / No

Unlocking the hubs disengages the wheel hub assembly from the splined axles. This allows the front tires spin freely. Voila...2WD

BUT!

Even with the locking hubs unlocked, your transfer case is still doing its thing. It is still turning the front driveline, front differential, and both front axles.

I don't understand why Jeep drivers install locking hubs on this type of Borg Warner Quadratrak 4wd system.
                    1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

When you buy the QT Part time kit, it comes with locking hubs. So someone may have installed a PT kit in the past. Easy way to check: Unlock the front hubs, put the truck in park/lock the e-brake, lay under your truck and spin the front drive shaft. If you can turn it by hand, you either have a completely toasted QT or a part time kit (my money would be on the PT kit).
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                        258 I6
                        • Dec 17, 2018

Good advice guys thanks, maybe i will spend this weekend working on finding out what is really going on with mine.

If i locked the hubs and still did not have all wheel drive would that be any clue for you guys? Showing my lack of 4WD knowledge here...

When i first replaced the locking hubs, i locked them while on some gravel then goosed the gas pedal and all it did was spin the rear wheels like it did when they were unlocked.
                        Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Sounds to me like you have good news and bad news:
                          Good news: Someone probably saved you the time, effort, and money and installed a part time kit, already (or, your QT Dif is toast, my money is your are already part time).
                          Bad news: In order to get into 4WD, you HAVE to get your vacuum shift motor working.

You can replace the shift motor without pulling the whole transfer case, but you have to open up the case, to do so. That means a couple hours, on your back, laying in ATF as it drips on you/down your arms while you work. It is not hard at all and totally worth doing it yourself. You said you already applied vacuum to both nipples (at the shift motor) and neither one of them held vacuum, right?
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                            258 I6
                            • Dec 17, 2018

Without that vacuum actuator (shift motor) should i still have 4WD if i lock my hubs?
                            Just not E Drive?

I do plan on doing it myself, and yes it did not hold vacuum on either port, do I need to plug on side as i apply vac to the other?
                            Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                              350 Buick
                              • Feb 15, 2010

That will not work, diaphragm is bad so rod will not move, sounds like you have a part time kit if you have the locking hubs up front, good. you can remove the top cover and manually move the shift fork forwards or backwards but will need some access to get to it as it is on top above the vacuum diaphragm. I would look into doing the cable shift conversion as the diaphragm is getting expensive to replace.

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                                258 I6
                                • Dec 17, 2018

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                                That will not work, diaphragm is bad so rod will not move, sounds like you have a part time kit if you have the locking hubs up front, good. you can remove the top cover and manually move the shift fork forwards or backwards but will need some access to get to it as it is on top above the vacuum diaphragm. I would look into doing the cable shift conversion as the diaphragm is getting expensive to replace.
                                I like the cable idea. Any good threads on here for home made or off the shelf conversions?

I have seen kits for CJs with Quadratrac, I assume it would work or could be modified to work. The kicker is they are like $150 and don't want to waste my money.
                                Some call me Taylor...

Comment

Working...
                                X