4" BDS Lift Kit Install Tomorrow FINISHED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonthomasfrance
    304 AMC
    • Sep 04, 2001

4" BDS Lift Kit Install Tomorrow FINISHED!!

Read the article in the "Topic of the Month" section. I will print it and take it along with me. Just wondering if anyone had any other thoughts?

I don't have a drop pitman arm. Do I need to order one ASAP, or can I wait a few days and drive short distances with the existing one?

Any other little tricks other than the "pre-loading" bouncing the truck after the springs are on?

I have a Hayes/Chiltons manual. I'm not the best mechanic. I will be doing it in an Auto Hobby Shop on base with a friend, so I have access to a lot of tools.

I just did a shackle and coil lift on my wife's 89 XJ that took me almost two days...

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: dippythelovebug ]
    jason thomas france
    GoFSJ.com/fsj
  • fas2c
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 05, 2001

I have the BDS kit w/ blocks. I did opt for the dropped pitman though. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
    I hope you have a smooth install. I wont be able to approach mine until next week. But, I still need shocks and the tires are in my wallet waiting to be purchased I am seaching out local tire shops. All are about average $168. out the door for 33x12.50x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers. I may buy Super Swampers over the net and save$$
    good luck,
    fas2c
    EL MENO<br />1974 Wagoneer<br />360-THM 400w/QT<br />Elderbrock intake-Non ERG w/ Q-Jet<br />Elderbrock double roller timing chain<br />31-10.5\'s<br />3\" Body Lift<br />4\" BDS Springs(yet to be installed)<br />135,000 miles<br />Soon to have:<br />New Mud Grips

Comment

• RustyJeep
      304 AMC
      • Apr 09, 2000

I bought my 33-12.5 Uniroyal M/T's for 89 bux out the door. But since I have the tools to put them on the rims at work, I will do that myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      -Rustyjeep-
      aka Ben Mitchell
      '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

• jasonthomasfrance
        304 AMC
        • Sep 04, 2001

All done... The front was very easy. All the bolts came off with an impact wrench, where it fit. My friend and I started the front around 10am. And finished around noon.

The back passenger side took about 3 hours itself. During which we figured out we had to grind down the rear most bushing (?) on the leaf spring as it was too wide for the shackle. After that it went quick. The longest part was taking the ubolt nuts off as they had seized and wouldn't come off with a normal impact gun. We had to muscle them with a 12" breaker bar.

The driver's side took less then 45 minutes. The Auto Hobby Shop closes at 4:30 and we had to bust tail! But even with taking off the gas tank skidplate, it went very fast. We didn't take the nuts off the rear ubolts (they were seized), we cut them off with a grinder because we didn't have enough time.

Actually we're not really done. I have to put the rear shocks on. We did run out of time at the shop... Will have to do that in the morning in the parking lot. I'll go in again on Wednesday night and tighten everything down.

Pictures to come soon!
        jason thomas france
        GoFSJ.com/fsj

Comment

• jasonthomasfrance
          304 AMC
          • Sep 04, 2001

Before PIC - After PIC

I've got more pics on my website. We went today and banged around with the jeep. The springs and shocks are great. I was worried about have a stiff/rough ride. Turns out my ride was rougher with the orginal oem saggy springs! Thank goodness!

I didn't get a dropped pitman arm. And I can feel the need for it. The steering jumps around when I'm on the road.

However I have a few problems that didn't clear up with the installation of the 4" lift.

1. When I punch it from a stand still there is a popping noise from the front. POP POP POP, sometimes pops three or four times. Almost like something is binding or not tightened and sliding?

2. TOday when I put my FSJ at an incline, to climb say a very steep hill, a faster poppin noise could be heard from the front. Similiar to the noise above, but a little different.

Perhaps the front UJoint is going? I can't think of anything else to do, but take it to a local mechanic and let him listen...

Check out the pics on my webpage!!!!

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: dippythelovebug ]
          jason thomas france
          GoFSJ.com/fsj

Comment

• fas2c
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 05, 2001

Looks great
            That POP is your U-Joints. FIX IT NOWWWWW! If it goes you may smash your XFer case w/ the wildly swinging appendege call your driveshaft.
            Good job on the lift!!
            fas2c
            I will put mine on this weekend
            fas2c
            EL MENO<br />1974 Wagoneer<br />360-THM 400w/QT<br />Elderbrock intake-Non ERG w/ Q-Jet<br />Elderbrock double roller timing chain<br />31-10.5\'s<br />3\" Body Lift<br />4\" BDS Springs(yet to be installed)<br />135,000 miles<br />Soon to have:<br />New Mud Grips

Comment

• GaWd
              258 I6
              • Dec 16, 2000

I'd also inspect your motor and tranny mounts to make sure they are all intact as well. They can make popping noises when broken and put under strain.

Sam
              1966 Kaiser Wagoneer<br />Chevy 350/SM465 combo<br />NP205<br />Dana 27 Front/Dana 44 Rear

Comment

• jasonthomasfrance
                304 AMC
                • Sep 04, 2001

Arrghh! Okay, motor mounts look good. Onto a ujoint change. BUT another problem has risen. Check out these pictures.

The spring clip(?) is rubbing on the frame!! Could that be moved back by about 3 inches?
                jason thomas france
                GoFSJ.com/fsj

Comment

258 I6
                  • Apr 19, 2001

Yeah, you can even remove the clips if you wanted. It looks like they are bolted together, so it shouldn't be a problem. You may want to loosen them up while your at it and get a little more flex. BTW how's the ride now that you've taken it wheelin'? And did the springs come with urethane bushings?
                  ~newbie (...by name, not by reputation)<P>\"I figure I make pretty good bucks, so I might as well go all out and pop for the fullsize\" -Ben Stiller (Gaylord Focker) \"Meet the Parents\"<P>*\'91 Ford Explorer (2wd poseur with 30x9.5 BFG\'s)<BR>*FSJ to be named later

Comment

Working...
                  X