X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Maybe a jack in the box setup or can of snakes deal for the "curious" passenger
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

Lol! That would be funny!
      1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• CarneroAsada
        230 Tornado
        • May 31, 2020

I think that dash looks fantastic. As for the vents I can't really tell from the picture, but from what I've seen so far, if you think they would look better shaved they probably would. You have an excellent vision and execution on this.

Comment

• bkilby
          350 Buick
          • Jan 10, 2016

Thanks Asada! I did end up shaving them down. Didn't get a pic yet but these are the same vents in the same dash, just no dash pad.

I met the glass guy at the shop this morning to get the glass installed. I wanted to get out there and drive the Jeep in this 100+ degree heat this weekend and see how it does. That and get the gauges programmed and all that. Well, someone broke the windshield. Glass guy says it wasn't broke when he took it out and blames my guy. My guy says he didn't break it and he and myself are the ones that moved it very carefully to the shelf it lived on while the dash was being installed. So you know what that means.....I get to buy a new windshield. Again.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
            350 Buick
            • Aug 19, 2003

This is an AWESOME build. There is a lot to learn from reading it.

Example.... (3 engine swaps). I had to stop and will start again tomorrow. Thanks for keeping it going.

BTW how is the sound deadener holding up that you put on the bottom of the roof? 2016 install date. I assume it's still sticking.

Comment

• bkilby
              350 Buick
              • Jan 10, 2016

3 engine swaps. Sounds like I want to work on it more than drive it. Lol!

The sound deadener is holding up just fine. We had the cardboard head liner out a couple of weeks ago and that stuff is stuck permanently.

I haven't done a recent update only because there's no pics to share. But, the new windshield is back in and the repaired radio is back and going to be installed soon. I have other things in life going on so the poor Jeep is on the back burner again. I put my motor home up for sale and now have a list of "fixes" to do to get it prepared. A 3 gallon oil change is happening today.

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

Welp, We got the dash all bolted in, the gauges mostly wired and even got the windshield back in. The repaired radio showed back up on Monday and we finally had the time to get it in the dash and work on the wiring. Until.......

Yup! It won't go in all the way. Even adjusting the head unit to where it's sticking out of the bezel, it's still hitting the defrost ducts behind it. That's what I get for modifying the dash without it being in the vehicle. I think the game plan is going to be to heat the defrost ports and push them in about an inch. Well, if we can without breaking something first. Lol. There's always something.....

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 09, 2014

Why not make a shroud for it so it does stick out a bit!?
                  To me it doesn't look to bad.

I had the same issue with placing a car radio on another place in the dashboard of my j4000.
                  Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
                  73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
                  80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
                  70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
                  85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
                  83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• bkilby
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 10, 2016

It's already sticking out as far as possible in that pic. Anything more would require cutting steel, repainting and what not. It should be easier to reshape the plastic. Hopefully.....

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by bkilby
                      It should be easier to reshape the plastic. Hopefully.....

Your gonna give Brandon a torch or a heat gun around the shop?????

Just joking! (kinda)
                      (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Don't force it. Just get a bigger hammer.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• cu4whln
                          304 AMC
                          • May 16, 2008

Maybe cut off a section? Then glue a flat part on ?

Maybe a little more controlled then heat.
                          It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                          1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                          1972 J4000
                          1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                          2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                          2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• bkilby
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 10, 2016

You guys so funny! Lol.

I had forgotten those ports unscrew from the rest of the heater system. You can see it in the pics. I'm going to look into removing them and making something else. I just need to make sure there's clearance to the back of the radio and they don't get hit by the wiper linkage. Other than that, I should be able to make it work.

I've got stuff coming up though so this will have to wait until next week sometime....hopefully. We're refinancing the building the Jeep is parked in and because California, we now have to perform a Phase 2 Environmental test in the building and in the parking lot. That means the motorhome, trailer and everything else in the parking lot needs to disappear. Inside the building I have to shuffle stuff around to allow them room to come in and drill holes in the concrete to pull core samples. One of them holes is in the office so I gotta move a desk and pull the carpet up. I have to have all this prepped and ready to go by 7am Tuesday. I really hate California sometimes.

Comment

• bkilby
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 10, 2016

3 months later.....

We're starting to get back to the Jeep again. Finally. Made a new defroster duct outlet out of exhaust tubing. Started with a U shaped 2" tube and cut it to the desired angle and ended up welding an adapter going from 2" to 2.5". It took a lot of time to measure, cut, fix it, cut again and get the right angles. Fun. But it's done, the radio is pushed all the way in and lots of clearance to the radio and wiper linkage.

The air blows with a lot of volume so good enough!

Comment

• bkilby
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 10, 2016

Meanwhile, my manual tailgate window crank decided to stripe the splines and leave me with a non working window. So as the Jeep sat collecting dust, we decided to pull the spare tailgate with the electric window and cannibalize it for parts. That manual crank setup wasn't working all that great to begin with anyhow.

The Jeep didn't come with an electric window and I don't think it had the wiring harness anyhow. So, we decided to start from scratch. I went to BJ's to buy a bunch of parts and rebuild the tailgate again including the electric switch they sell for the tailgate. It's basically an aircraft toggle switch with an adapter to take place of the factory switch. This switch is rated for 10 amps and I figured I'd give it a shot without using relays. Yup, no relays. I'll add them later if the switches can't handle the load but I'm sure they'll work fine. "They" meaning there will be one in the dash too. So off I go with pen and paper, a VOM and battery to test and mock up the wiring on the bench before diving into the Jeep. Didn't take very long. Pretty straight forward stuff.

The dash switch has 3 terminals. Keyed 12V supply going in and 2 feed "up and down" wires running to the tailgate switch. Also running to the tail gate switch is a hot 12V wire so 3 wires running to the tailgate switch total. The tailgate switch has 6 terminals btw and acts as a terminal block. The power from the front two wires feed through the rear switch and to the motor at all times. When you activate the rear switch, you're pulling power from hot 12V feed and sending the power to the motor. Make sense? I know, clear as mud.

Basically, the front switch needs the key on to roll the window up and down. Using the key in the tailgate does not require the key to be on.

Comment

Working...
                                X