• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDD
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2011

Wagoneer mechanic on Long Island, NY?

Anyone know a mechanic that knows their way around a Wagoneer in NY area? Been having an issue with my distributor. Keeps chewing up the gear. Not sure if it timing cover related or mismatched gears, but would like someone that knows about these issues to get it together right. Motor was rebuilt a couple years ago, but gear only lasted a few hundred miles. Had the same issue before motor was rebuilt. Guessing that it needs matched gears, but would like someone to go through and get it perfect. Any idea appreciated!
  • TLCAutoTruck
    230 Tornado
    • May 17, 2019

Long Island Mechanic

Hello -

Our company is TLC Auto & Truck Center, Inc in Farmingdale NY. We actually have a Wagoneer here now that we are starting a restoration on.

We are more than capable to help you with your Wagoneer. We work on old, new, carburetor to fuel injection.

My email is [email protected]. Our number is 631-753-2211.

Thanks,
    Joe

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Can be several things.
      Misaligned (missing locator dowels) oem cover?
      Poor quality aftermarket timing cover?
      Poor quality aftermarket HEI distributor?
      Poor quality timing sprocket? (Oil slot wrong location)

Need more info...
      What was done when engine was rebuilt/what parts were used?
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• letank
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jun 03, 2002

the timing slot misalignement can be a reason, make sure that the slots match on both parts, otherwise time to use a grinder or a file to make your slot

Perfect - that's what I was looking for. Thanks!Best regards,Glynn

better or more picts here

or , not too obvious but a dowel is in the camshaft end and it matches the oil hole in the timing gear

Last edited by letank; 05-20-2019, 05:41 PM.
        Michel
        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• JDD
          232 I6
          • Oct 01, 2011

I am guessing it may be the timing cover. Motor was rebuilt, but the timing cover was not switched out. Had the same issue before rebuild. There seems to be a slight movement from side to side when distributor is almost in all the way. After driving every so often, I would have to nudge the distributor back to correct timing, even though it was tightened down as far as possible. Not sure if cover is original? Buying one from a parts Wagoneer to replace, also getting matched set of gears for cam and dizzy. Will need to redo some wiring, but hopefully this will solve the issue. Talked to a couple local mechanics, just waiting for someone to have the time to get started.

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

What type/kind of distributor?
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
            X