'91 hood release lever broke in my hand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robvolz
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2016

'91 hood release lever broke in my hand...

It was cheap plastic, and every time I opened it for the last three years I knew this this day would come.

I'm sure I can use a harbor freight vice grips to pull the cable.

My question, other than seeking a used wagoneer being parted, is there a better solution? Maybe out of a Chrysler product?

Maybe someone has made a metal version?
  • letank
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by robvolz
    It was cheap plastic, and every time I opened it for the last three years I knew this this day would come.

I'm sure I can use a harbor freight vice grips to pull the cable.

My question, other than seeking a used wagoneer being parted, is there a better solution? Maybe out of a Chrysler product?

Maybe someone has made a metal version?
    Tme to lube not only the cable, but the mushroom pods on the valence, when the mechanism gets a bit rusty, it will become harder and harder to release the spring tension with the handle -Yes, I broke the handle, and got a spare at the yard- But after the lube job, it is painless
    Michel
    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Tanker
      350 Buick
      • Jan 04, 2005

If your like me,I used a 12" sawsaw blade with the teeth ground off to open the hood. If you have a plate covering the release then its more fun. Hood ornament over a bit then push. I did it for years like that. Keeps others out this way.
      Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
      Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• ShagWagon
        350 Buick
        • Apr 10, 2016

Yeah.

I keep waiting for mine to break it feels like it will if I'm not careful.
        87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• swampdrainer
          232 I6
          • Jun 05, 2009

The hood latch was hard to pull on my '83, even after lubing everything. I spent a few minutes playing around with very minute adjustments of the bolts mounting the hood to the lift springs and now it releases smooth as silk.
          1982 J10
          1992 FJ80
          1997 FZJ80

Comment

• Tanker
            350 Buick
            • Jan 04, 2005

Just make sure that there is no plate in front of the latch,if so slot it so a sawsaw blade will fit through.
            Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
            Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• bwwhaler
              258 I6
              • Apr 17, 2012

BJ's Has them: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Hood-Relea...ble_p_913.html
              I wish I had looked before I paid someone for one....
              87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
              Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

Working...
              X