X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

OK. So I finally get the Serpentine kit to put on this rig. Let me tell you the machine work is awesome. Very beautiful work. However along with any custom work comes issues. After spending that past couple of days dealing with belt alignment, spacer issues etc., we finally have it where it's going to work. One important note for those considering the same mod is...not all York AC mounts are created equal. The one larger, beefier bracket needs one mounting ear cut off to allow the kit to bolt up correctly. Not a big deal, just make sure you make a new top plate to secure the compressor from vibration.

One thing I do need to do is have the inside of the Alt pulley machined down. It's so thick and burly that once I installed it with the proper spacers etc for belt alignment, I can't put the nut and lock washer on. I need enough machine work to accommodate the lock washer So, I'll get it machined down about 1/4" to fix that issue. There were other issues here and there but it seems to have come together. Keep in mind I can't fire up the engine yet.

Gas tank skid was also finished. The gas tank is installed and now waiting for plumbing.

One hang up right now is, the PO in all his brilliant wisdom literally tore everything apart without keeping all the parts. There is a sealing washer I need for the oil pressure bypass valve that I can't seem to find. 5/8" ID. I need to find that before I can move on and get closer to starting the engine. Oiy! A few pics.

Last edited by bkilby; 10-23-2022, 03:12 PM.
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

Not much to report right now. Been busy with work and dealing with small stuff. Ended up making new fuel lines from the tank to engine. Power steering hoses are in, new heater core purchased (but not installed yet), rear driveshaft is in but the front had the wrong yoke. Found another yoke in my arsenal and made it fit. New unobtainable body mounts are ordered but don't know if they're going to work yet....because I don't have them. Lol!

And as goofy as it sounds, I couldn't figure out why my steering tie rod and drag link were going to collide if I drove it until I realized the front springs were in backwards. Pushed the axle too far forward. Lol! Well, at least I hope that's all it is. Tomorrow... Oh! I ended up ordering new Urethane motor and tranny mounts from BJ's and put those in today. Worked great!

It's the little things that take time. We're trying to work past those.

So, I'm thinking about the body now. Leave it old and patina looking or get it painted? If I get it painted, do I leave it green and white or go for a custom color? I like the green and white but I can think of a half dozen colors that would look awesome too.

Comment

• KilroyJC
        232 I6
        • Feb 08, 2016

When I hit the Powerball----

I want a shop.

A BIG shop.

with ALL the toys.

(ahhh, the joys of condo living. . .)
        1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
        1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

• TexasJ10
          360 AMC
          • Jan 03, 2002

Originally posted by bkilby
          OK. So I finally get the Serpentine kit to put on this rig. Let me tell you the machine work is awesome. Very beautiful work. However along with any custom work comes issues. After spending that past couple of days dealing with belt alignment, spacer issues etc., we finally have it where it's going to work.

[/IMG]
          I agree with you on the quality of the parts and the difficulty to fit the serpentine kit. I concluded that water pumps are not made with any particular tolerances when it comes to the bolt bosses and it throws things off.

I am curious why you decided to mount the power steering idler pulley in the "up" position rather than in the "down" position where it has greater belt contact with the water pump and power steering pulleys? It also comes pretty close the the distributor in the "up" position. Bull tear recommended it in the "down" position when I talked to them even though it fits both ways and in one of their photos they have it in the up position. Beautiful build by the way!
          * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
          * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
          . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
          * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• bkilby
            350 Buick
            • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by TexasJ10
            I agree with you on the quality of the parts and the difficulty to fit the serpentine kit. I concluded that water pumps are not made with any particular tolerances when it comes to the bolt bosses and it throws things off.
            So true. That and I didn't get the proper spacers with the kit anyhow.

I am curious why you decided to mount the power steering idler pulley in the "up" position rather than in the "down" position where it has greater belt contact with the water pump and power steering pulleys? It also comes pretty close the the distributor in the "up" position. Bull tear recommended it in the "down" position when I talked to them even though it fits both ways and in one of their photos they have it in the up position. Beautiful build by the way!
            Actually, we were just talking about that yesterday. The only real reason is we were using a straight edge to check and correct the PS alignment and that's how it was mounted in the only photo available. But it will end up in the down position for the obvious reasons. And thanks!

Comment

• TexasJ10
              360 AMC
              • Jan 03, 2002

It will take a longer belt in the down position. Mine took a Gates k061058.
              * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
              * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
              . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
              * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

Good info. Thanks! I'll start with that and get one size up and down just in case.

Comment

• bkilby
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 10, 2016

TexasJ10, what did you do about the heater hose behind the alternator? It's a 3/4" hose and no room for it. Did you have the larger York bracket or the smaller one?

Comment

• bkilby
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 10, 2016

Got the serpentine pulley flipped around yesterday and you were right TexasJ10, It's a K061058.

I received the Daystar body bushings today and of course, they don't fit so I made them fit. I had to drill all the frame holes out to 1.25". I ended up going with a CJ7 bushing with a 1" lift built in. Dropped the body on for a quick test fit and all looks good. Gotta order 2 more bushings though. Man, I'm beat too! It's a PIA to do this by yourself on a Saturday! Lol!

Edit: I actually need 3 bushing sets. The one front frame bushing for the CJ is actually darn close to what I need for the radiator support bushings (x2). I might have to sand them down a bit but not a big deal. I'll order the bushings on Monday now that I know what I need. Whew! This part was difficult as no one wanted to share dimensions. Not Energy, Prothane or Daystar. Well, I take that back. Daystar did but then referred me to a different company that can help better. Oh well, it's done. So for those of you with a similar rig, get the CJ7 bushing kit, get two more of the larger bushings and 1 more of the fronts. Be prepared to open the holes a lot. From 7/8", 1.0" and 1.125" up to 1.25" IIRC, this is the same hole size as the later model GC specs.

Last edited by bkilby; 10-23-2022, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 10, 2016

Another issue I saw today was the clearance between the alternator and the battery bracket. I'll modify the bracket to give more clearance but holy cow, talk about close!

Last edited by bkilby; 10-23-2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• cu4whln
                        304 AMC
                        • May 16, 2008

Well Bradly . .

Now that you've gone THIS far.. time to detail under the hood some don't ya think?

I'm ok with the outer patina, but underhood? It's a FSJ - you ARE gonna be under there more than you know . . . Just sayin'

I'll get your dimensions tomorrow btw. My FSJ stance with 4" lift, 33" tires .. as you requested.

Edit: To the top of alum plate on sill: 23 3/4"

Last edited by cu4whln; 03-01-2016, 08:05 PM.
                        It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                        1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                        1972 J4000
                        1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                        2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                        2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• bkilby
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 10, 2016

Oh trust me, it will get detailed. Front fenders and core support are coming off. Heater core, brake booster etc is all coming off. The inner fenders and core support (got buy a new one from the bone yard) will get sand blasted and powder coated Satin Black. The firewall will get cleaned and waxed. Heater core box, brake booster and anything else attached to the firewall will get painted. We're going to start eliminating wiring that doesn't need to be there too. What a mess the wiring is. Lol!

Your Jeep looks great. Those rear flares really open up the back quite a bit.

Comment

• bkilby
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 10, 2016

Went to the junk yard and picked up some fenders and a core support. This is why...

Last edited by bkilby; 10-23-2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 10, 2016

Grafting in a new piece.

Last edited by bkilby; 10-23-2022, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• rlm2550
                                232 I6
                                • Dec 28, 2015

Lucky guys!!!

I am so jealous of you guys that can go the salvage yards and pick up FSJ parts! Here, they have been long gone, due to rust I suppose. I live in a town, population of 90K, and I've only see one other FSJ besides mine...in years!! Its a gold truck with a rusted out bed.. One of these days I'll make a pilgrimage to Denver and see what I can find!!!
                                1978 Cherokee Chief- 401, 700R4 trans, np208, Dana 44 x 2, 4:10 gears, lunchbox locker in the rear. 33" Mickey Thompson Deegans...

Comment

Working...
                                X