International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Master Mechanic

Build Thread: Chief Laredo

Well, it is time. This will be my second frame off restore project. This one is more special since it is my first father/son project. I wanted to pass down the coolness of one of my favorite trucks. This will be his first vehicle and he will be able to participate in a complete restore project, which I hope gives him some invaluable exprience. This will also end up being his truck when he turns 16 so he will be invested in it and appreciate it more, I hope. The good thing for me is he was open to a Cherokee. I just love these as they bring back a lot of good memories when I ran the roads and think it will be a perfect truck for a teenager. I really hope when he gets older and decides he needs to buy something on his own he will give it back to me. I tried to trade my Suburban to him already and he declined.

We started out with a near perfect jeep to begin. I purchased this from someone on the board. It is in almost perfect shape and bigdaddy sold it for such a good price I almost felt like I stole it from him. It has run flawless since I bought it nearly a year ago and I hate to start the project. We have a good timeline for the project since my son will not be 16 for another 2 years.

We called the project Chief Laredo since we both like the Chief badges/decals but we found a Laredo. Will will stay with the Laredo package and badges but add the Chief badge and decals. We plan on doing a complete frame-off. Th goal is to restore it back to btter than new quality. I hope to be able to document and share this from start to finish with my fellow jeepers. Your suggestions and input wil be invaluable!

The before pics 10/1/2010:http://www.fototime.com/5123FDF2122DFAA/standard.jpg

The album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Last edited by CJ5 : 10-02-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM
FSJ Maniac

Nice Cherokee! In all honesty, that Cherokee is pretty clean as is...

What type of mods are you going to be completing?
In doing a frame off, what exactly will you be replacing? I'm just seeing more of a refurbishing out of the rig than a complete resto.

Not trying to be abrasive just telling how I see it.

Last edited by ColeTrickle : 10-02-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Master Mechanic

It certainly is a cream puff. The only thing wrong right now is the drivers seat is ragged. The plan is to make it like new. It is 27 years old. I want to get it back to new quality and make it a project for my son.

The plan is to do a complete frame off, to include new upholestry, new carpet, new paint in and out, new updated exhaust, refurbished bumpers, chrome and SS. Rebuild/Replace the hardparts as needed, new springs (which we already did) and refurbish and or replace the motor, wiring, etc.

We are about to finalize the outside color, order in the carpet and then decide what interior colors to go with. Unfortunatley, I cannot get the nutmeg carpet so we are going with the light tan, which may require us to change colors on things like door panels, seats, trim, etc.

I want it to be finished basically stock, with a few modern upgrades.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 10-02-2010, 07:06 PM

82 laredo

nice truck as said earlier i do not think it nead a frame resto basdicly it is a nice truck but you could refresh it and in 5 or 10 years when the market will be their it will worth the price of a full frame resto in the mean time find all your parts change what is nead ,drive it and enjoy for the carpet the color nutmeg is avalibale i order some for a 79 j10 honcho and they are the exact color of my 82 laredo which is orignal interior if you change your interior i would buy yours congratulation for your laredo normand
Old 10-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Master Mechanic

Nice truck. Still SOO much nicer than my Levi. lol

2018 Wagoneer Rendering if you're interested.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Dragin Az

Subscribed to watch.

That is a cream puff. Make sure you are carefull in removing the old stuff, it will be 10x's better then someone elses stuff. Might help fund it.

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 p/u
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'81 Eagle SX/4
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 10-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Gear Head

Won't all that original Laredo striping be hard to replace after a repaint?

Your rig is very clean. I'd be very hesitant about repainting it if the factory paint isn't too far gone. I learned that lesson on my truck after it was repainted.

Just my 2 cents.

The few. The proud. The browless.