Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

and the reason you did not just replace the entire panel is...?

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
    So after getting the skin welded back on I went after the rusty bottom section.

Again hours and hours of fitting. Granted the aftermarket panels fit pretty well. Except for my generous gap there.
    Ken's:
    1966 Super Wagoneer
    5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
    (Soon to be TBI)
    "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
      The paint is Eastwoods "rust encapsulator" paint in both a spray can and a quart. I have used Hirsch paint and it also seemed fine. Eastwoods paint seems more flexible though. The springs, frame etc are painted with Napa Chassis black. Chassis black is the toughest paint out of a can I have ever used. And the satin finish is pretty correct also.
      I have several very rusty parts laying around with all these different paints on them. I am doing long term testing to see who is best. I am always looking for a better paint. ...
      You should try Epoxy Products's Aluthane too. http://www.epoxyproducts.com/aluthane.html They are a New Hampshire business, and always ship to me quickly. This stuff really sticks to most surfaces, even with very little prep.

I think the Hirsch instructions suggest punching a hole in the can lid and closing it with a screw - this works really well and is my preferred method for dispensing. I squeeze out a little into a paper cup for each application. Epoxy Products suggests filling the can with some propane from a torch - which also works (you could use argon from your TIG). Open and close in the usual way and and it sets up like epoxy after a month or two.

I've done a little reading about this topic, and I believe that most or all of these products are MCU (moisture cured urethane). The MCUs bind up any latent moisture in the rust in the cure of the paint. Then they depend on the interlock of the pigment particles to exclude oxygen from the painted surface. Supposedly powdered metal is best at forming a tight seal and excluding O2.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Kenall
        and the reason you did not just replace the entire panel is...?
        I had a replacement 1/4 section here at my disposal. I decided it was a wash on which way to go. I ended up fixing what was here. Probably less finish work in the 1/4 panel replacement. But I could use the experience trying to repair the middle of a panel with the intent of using as little spot putty as possible. My wagoneer a 1969 X model is next. I just might use the panels there.
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra
        2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
        Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by tgreese
          You should try Epoxy Products's Aluthane too. http://www.epoxyproducts.com/aluthane.html They are a New Hampshire business, and always ship to me quickly. This stuff really sticks to most surfaces, even with very little prep.

I think the Hirsch instructions suggest punching a hole in the can lid and closing it with a screw - this works really well and is my preferred method for dispensing. I squeeze out a little into a paper cup for each application. Epoxy Products suggests filling the can with some propane from a torch - which also works (you could use argon from your TIG). Open and close in the usual way and and it sets up like epoxy after a month or two.

I've done a little reading about this topic, and I believe that most or all of these products are MCU (moisture cured urethane). The MCUs bind up any latent moisture in the rust in the cure of the paint. Then they depend on the interlock of the pigment particles to exclude oxygen from the painted surface. Supposedly powdered metal is best at forming a tight seal and excluding O2.
          Thanks for the link. And the tip on back filling the can. I did the screw hole on the Hirsch can and 1 year later it is not usable. The paints sure have improved from years ago though. I can't wait to put on the final green coat on this rig. Thanks for the new bookmark.
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• WOW.....what a thread!

Kaiserjeeps-

WOW.

Just stumbled on this thread.

Amazing. Awesome. LOVE seeing some FSJ's get resurrected, instead of lobotomized. However, I recognize most folks cut and wheel Jeeps.

Thank you for sharing this, it gives me ideas for my Wag. It makes me wish I could afford a few Wags and bring them back.

Please keep this up, if you can. It's really inspirational. Wags, pickups, panels, hehe, keep on saving them. Thanks also much for the detailed pics,
            showing the before and afters, too.

Comment

• Mikel
              • Aug 09, 2000

Sooo....?
              1969 M715 6x6
              1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Yes...any updates?

Agreed...

Any more news? Would love to see some more of your work!

Comment

• 66Stepside
                  350 Buick
                  • Dec 23, 2010

Hello, again! It was great to meet you today. I hope the parts you got today go to good use.

I am going through your build threads and feeling inadequate in my abilities! You're doing some great work, and welcome to the Inland Northwest!
                  Last edited by 66Stepside; 08-30-2014, 01:55 PM.
                  52 M38
                  54 Willys Truck
                  56 Willys Wagon
                  60 FC170
                  66 J3000
                  68 M715
                  70 1414C
                  71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

Thanks Adam, It was great to meet you also. What cool projects you have.
                    It got me fired up to get going on my stuff again.

Sorry to all whom have been following this thread just to watch it go idle.
                    I spent a lot of time and money building a dream shop only to have to move away. I had drug houses on three sides of me and the authorities did nothing to help. To make a long story short Liz and I got married and sold the place and moved North of Priest River Idaho. We love it here. I am converting a horse barn to a work shop as I type. I should be able to resume this thread by mid winter. I have started purchasing NOS and used parts again. I am so incredibly eager to get back to building rigs. I want to be done with the shop construction. I will resume all this fun. Seeing your rigs Adam really got me going.

I brought both wagoneers and a Jeepster with me. What a haul.

Great to meet you!
                    Melford1972 says...
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 66Stepside
                      350 Buick
                      • Dec 23, 2010

I found that AC circular directional vent for that vintage AC unit. Let me know when you're close by and we can meet up!
                      52 M38
                      54 Willys Truck
                      56 Willys Wagon
                      60 FC170
                      66 J3000
                      68 M715
                      70 1414C
                      71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

Great Adam! I believe I have misplaced your number. I'll shoot you a PM soon. I need to go to the metal store again and they are close to you.
                        Thank you very much!
                        Melford1972 says...
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

Well this thread is mighty dusty. I suppose I should blow some dust off and post something. I even have pictures. Some pretty good things have happened. My wife and I left Oregon. I had to leave my dream shop I just got put up. Probably looking like the Beverly hillbilly's and seven trips later we found our selves in the Idaho panhandle way up North. Deep in the woods I have no immediate neighbors. I can pound on metal all day long and bother no one.

So Our new place had a horse barn. That was my new shop. The lowest point on that part of the property, it collected water. And there was a ton of floating horse fertilizer. A great testing ground for rubber boots. And nose plugs.

I redid everything. I Raised the floor and added concrete, every piece of metal had to come off. I added doors and I moved doors. Finally just in time before snow fell this fall and nearly 5 whole years since I have had a decent shop to work in, I was done! I will post one shop conversion picture and then get on with the restoration of Bills wagoneer.

Here is the shop mid conversion.

OK, two shop pictures
                          Ready for snow.

So I finished all the metal replacement on the rear quarter on the passenger side. I have some minor leveling to do but it is 98%. I don't believe I posted a picture of the corner before we moved. It looks great.

I was able to finally get both the 70 and my 69 X model inside the building on one side. Time to get busy on the drivers side quarter. The passenger side gave me fits with misalignment after cutting the outer skin away. I watched it move when I cut it. It took me months to figure out where to relieve welds and apply hydraulics to get it straight again. On the drivers side I am replacing the outer skin in very small areas. Only whats rusty. The inner wheel well is rotted all the way from the back door edge and back. So two panels to replace. Inside and outside. Here is some of the rot.

Holes up forward and paper thin metal and collapse of the structure.

And this is good to check. Look at what the replacement metal will weld to. Is it straight? A patch here would look pretty bad unless this line was corrected past the weld joint.

Another thin patch with pitting that was cut out. You can see the inner metal flange in place through the hole. The bad metal not cut out yet.

next
                          Melford1972 says...
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

I wanted to make the inner and outer pieces before welding anything in. I wanted to do the outer skin first because I can sort of reach the backside of the weld for plannishing and leveling post weld. The inner skin and weld seam will not be visible.

So I picked up a sheet of 18 GA and 20 GA metal a week or so ago. I started making the patches using new metal. I cut and bent the inner piece in a bending brake. Then started fitting the part using a shrinker stretcher unit made by Lancaster. The original inventor of the unit.

I traced the rough curvature on paper. The car is always more accurate for fitting.

Around the corner and off to the quarter panel for the remainder of the fitting.

The squeezing inside the wheel house. Now to get the new metal to match the old perfectly.

This is the inner rotten metal before it was cut out.

Out come the cleco's. These put the part back in the very same spot every time. Fitting up something is easier with these.

Inside the forward edge just under the rear door. A little gap to fill there.

Old metal is out. Everything fits well. Looks like I can set the parts aside and do the outer skin now.

I will weld in the patches and post up when I get it done. I have a few honey do things to do and it won't be to long. Only a couple more corrosion spots to replace and this jeep will have all the metal work done. What a rusty haul!
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Strode
                              1st Chair, Cowbell
                              • Nov 08, 2011

Fantastic work, both on the barn and the Jeep.
                              Brad
                              (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                                360 AMC
                                • Oct 02, 2002

Great day yesterday. While looking for a fire protection rig with a neighbor at a wrecking yard, I stumbled on 6 or so wagoneers in the corner. I scored a drivers door with no rust for this rig. I picked up several restorable lens's and some trim. I am going back for an under dash AC unit, a in dash AC unit, a set of correct factory AC pulleys, and tensioners including the Compressor mount. It looks like there is a rust free tailgate or two. I am amazed at the content of classic 's in the yards here. And the condition of chrome parts in general. I must save them all!!

I have one patch welded in. It's 5 above zero here. Brrr. If I strike the body metal it may shatter. Dang me it's cold here. More pictures soon.

Thanks Strode! It's all in good fun.
                                Melford1972 says...
                                -----------------------
                                I make wag parts
                                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                                1968 M715 restomod
                                2001 Dodge 3500
                                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                                X