• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hooksetter
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 15, 2010

1970 J 4000 gladiator front axle ?

folks I picked up a gladiator a while back and I am building a swamp buggy out of it.
    It has been a complete disaster as I got into it. I found out I had a bent crank or bad main... threw the 232 in the garbage.
    I droped a 1985 300 inline ford in with a c4 auto on it, I am going to put the T 15 and transfer behind that..

QUESTION:::
    I have now realized that this dana 44 front end may be junk.
    It has 19 spline inners and 10 spline outers I think.
    also same U joints as a dana 30???
    this is not good for me as I will be running 50" tractor tires. However, this thing is for only easing along and motor will never go over 1200 rpm during normal use...

has anyone replaced their axles in their closed knuckle 44.
    I hear that some of the closed knuckles did run bigger u joints so I will pull mine soon to see if I have the smaller or not..
    does anyone know of a company that makes beefed up replacemenst for these truck that I can slide in?

the truck has a dana 60 rear.
    Thanks
  • Tornado230
    350 Buick
    • Sep 14, 2008

Examine the placement of the front springs before you go too far.
    Your truck has "post-mount" springs, being mounts riveted to the frame.
    The spring is outside the frame instead of being under the frame, as with the newer ones.
    I don't know how well the mounts will hold up under a load which you will place on them.
    It will be a matter of changing to "modern" under-frame mounts, at which time you can use almost any axle by modifying the spring perches.
    By the way, the rear should also be post-mount, unless someone has already changed them.

Comment

Working...
    X