232 I6
    • Jun 25, 2001

Good one to resurrect you ask me

Comment

• PlasticBoob
      All Makes Combined
      • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by Geminiroq
      Sounds like a sweet deal....I am in So. Cal too!

Are you able to pass smog with this setup and did you source all your parts except the megasquirt?

This sounds like something I can do and I want to learn as much as possible about this. system.

Thank you...
      Well since my Jeep is a '74, I don't have to smog it - but I plan on taking it to a friend once I get it fine-tuned, just for kicks.

My parts are just the TBI unit from a Chevy 454, Holley adapter, standard GM IAT and CLT sensors, Ford E-150 in-line fuel pump, and an Innovate LC-1 oxygen sensor. Oh yeah, and a custom cold-air-intake I'm working on using Spectre's surprisingly high-quality parts - I'll get pics of it soon.

One other thing - on my Jeep at least, I'm pretty sure I needed a body lift to get the TBI unit to clear, but you may be able to get away without one if you have standard motor mounts (I do not).

MegaSquirt will pass the actual emissions test with flying colors, but it will fail the BS test (visuals and all that) since this RIDICULOUS STATE requires you have the original smog equipment and carburetor on your vehicle. Your best bet is to get a CARB-approved EFI kit. I don't know the exact rigmarole you have to go through, but maybe you can somehow get a Holley EFI CARB sticker that would fool the smog guys into thinking the DIY is a Holley system.
      Last edited by PlasticBoob; 09-07-2013, 10:28 PM.
      Rob
      1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
      Click for video

Comment

• 3rdelement
        350 Buick
        • Nov 25, 2009

dead thread

So Ive been throwing around the idea of going EFI also. for reliability, and the fact i have large variations in altitude living in colorado. I have experience tuning newer import cars with stand alone fuel management systems like the haltech. I have someone that is experienced in working on v8's. Is a junkyard diy something I should be able to tackle successfully?
        Also the parts listed above.. is there anything else i would need?

TBI unit from a Chevy 454
        Holley adapter(part number?)
        standard GM IAT and CLT sensors
        Ford E-150 in-line fuel pump
        Innovate LC-1 oxygen sensor
        custom wired harness
        what control unit?(ecu)
        Richard Ricketts
        build thread: click HERE
        1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer {woodless}-Edelbrock 1406 carb, Edelbrock Sp2p Intake, Hella ecode headlights, bixenon HID 5000k headlights, mb quart 6.5" component speakers f&r, alpine cde-100 deck, final edition grill, Hella 550 fog lights, 1991 window regulators, cs144, aluminum coolant&washer tanks

Comment

• jaber
          Dragin Az
          • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by 3rdelement
          what control unit?(ecu)
          The GM unit ending in 7747.
          Jeff

'43 cj2a
          '51 Willys p/u
          '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
          '68 Panel Delivery
          '74 CJ5
          '75 J-20 Wrecker
          '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
          '77 J-10 p/u
          '79 Cherokee
          '88 Grand Wagoneer
          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• 3rdelement
            350 Buick
            • Nov 25, 2009

thanks! could i just pull the ecu off the truck i find the tbi on? (as long as it has the 7747 code)
            Richard Ricketts
            1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer {woodless}-Edelbrock 1406 carb, Edelbrock Sp2p Intake, Hella ecode headlights, bixenon HID 5000k headlights, mb quart 6.5" component speakers f&r, alpine cde-100 deck, final edition grill, Hella 550 fog lights, 1991 window regulators, cs144, aluminum coolant&washer tanks

Comment

• shackwrrr
              360 AMC
              • Mar 04, 2006

You could follow the link in my sig. That is the exact thing I am doing to mine but with megasquirt. 7747 computer is the easy way out if you ask me and I always like doing stuff the hard way.
              Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• jaber
                Dragin Az
                • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by 3rdelement
                thanks! could i just pull the ecu off the truck i find the tbi on? (as long as it has the 7747 code)
                Yes.
                Jeff

'43 cj2a
                '51 Willys p/u
                '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                '68 Panel Delivery
                '74 CJ5
                '75 J-20 Wrecker
                '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                '77 J-10 p/u
                '79 Cherokee
                '88 Grand Wagoneer
                '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• 3rdelement
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 25, 2009

thanks for the help guys. Im trying to ask as few questions as i can since i am new to this, and do as much research on my own.
                  Richard Ricketts

Comment

• 86_J10
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 21, 2001

EFI ECU

Haltech has a new model called the Sprint 500, you should be able to find it for $800-900 and it comes with a wiring harness. It is probably allot more powerful than a megasquirt. The injector driver that comes with the Haltech will not handle low impedence injectors, you would have to add somthing like this http://www.jbperf.com/p&h_board/v2_0.html

The haltech would support wasted spark, but you would have to add a 36-1 trigger wheel and use somthing like the LS6 coils.

Indy Cylinder heads makes a intake that will take 8 injectors if you wanted to go with port injection, no idea on price.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

Click on my sig file link and read up on the TBI pages. FSJ specific information and general info links are provided.

Short version: I have a modified turnkey system that now has spark (timing) control. Everything works like GM intended it to except I don't use a knock sensor.

MS is definitely getting more support now, but it DEFINITELY is not a plug n play type of system. But if you really want to play with it, it will do things the GM TBI engineers never even dreamed of!

If I had time, I'd look into a MS system. But I'd rather be
                      Ethan Brady
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• racerx8413
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 10, 2009

I'm looking at the AFI as my first choice, simply because of the spark control, but what really is the advantage of the spark control? I'm replacing my edelbroch 1406, because I absolutely cannot get it tuned, nor can the shop I took it to. I'm done dealing with it, and will be installing one of these kits. My two choices are the AFI kit, and the Holly PJ kit. How bad a spot would I be in if I chose the Holly over the AFI, that does NOT include spark control.
                        Houseofdewm - Jeep

Comment

• Chris P.
                          350 Buick
                          • Oct 12, 2003

With spark control, you get rid of the mechanical weights and vac advance in the distributor. This will give you the ability to set the advance at a certain rpm and vac setting without disturbing the rest of the spark curve.

Having spark control is the key to getting good mileage with a TBI system.
                          79 J10 Honcho 360/T-18/D20
                          Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
                          78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• Subic Jeep
                            327 Rambler
                            • Apr 03, 2007

AFI

I got a AFI kit with distributor, runs good. 600rpm on idle, AC running. No hesitation off road, none at all, gone are TA restarts. Should have ordered a foot longer harness, to have more options where to place the computer box. Installation easy, I just got a blond moment, when installing the ignition coil wires, the coil went up in smoke, a good ignition coil is expencive...

The only thing that AFI needs to do better is the wiring labels now in paper needs to be a in better material (plastic).

After installing this kit, a DIY - junkyard install is fairly simple to do, but I would get a new wiring kit to save time and energy. Going into programming, I don't think I need to do that the AFI kit is doing what its supposed to do and its not a daily drive.
                            Lars

I am in the five bananas category!
                            Cherokee 1981 officially 1974 huh local irony
                            Gen 1 GM-SB 350 V8 TBI - TH400 - Klune V - Twin stick NP205 w. Nippon shifter
                            Dana 60 w. ARB locker, hydraulic assist + GM 14FF w. Detroit locker.4-link rear on LC80 19mm coils
                            Rancho 5036 Shocks 14 inch travel. 39.5x15.5x15 TSL

Comment

• Greenfish
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 12, 2010

Anyone mention the FAST EZ EFI system?

I dont have it but I am completely sold on it. I may put one on the GW and my Cuda. (if I could afford it) I did some research on it, lots of articles out there and they did a build with a system on HP TV last week.

The whole kit supposedly everything you need is $2K and Jegs/Summit carry them.

My vote

Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.
                              Baltimore
                              1991 Grand Wagoneer, Rebuilt 360, Eddy Perf Manifold, Razor Grill
                              1970 Plymouth 'Cuda (my baby)

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 18, 2004

Originally posted by Greenfish
                                Anyone mention the FAST EZ EFI system?

I dont have it but I am completely sold on it. I may put one on the GW and my Cuda. (if I could afford it) I did some research on it, lots of articles out there and they did a build with a system on HP TV last week.

The whole kit supposedly everything you need is $2K and Jegs/Summit carry them.

My vote

http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp

Welcome Greenfish!!! It is good to see another Maryland member out there. (Starting to be quite a few of us now!)

On a note related to this thread, It seems that Custom-efis isn't around anymore. I tried checking the site and it isn't up anymore. Perhaps they took a break or are re-organizing or maybe just word of mouth or phone sales only. (For those who might be interested in that kit of course)
                                88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
                                89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
                                2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
                                1. TBI
                                2. New fuel tank
                                3. AW-4 Transmission
                                4. Aluminum condensor
                                5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

Working...
                                X