• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Marneaus
    360 AMC
    • Jun 16, 2010

6.2l GM Diesel?

I know soem folks have done it, and I've seen the good and the bad about these engines.

Folks say when maintained and built right they are perfectly fine, plus you can tune em and squeeze out a bunch of fuel economy.

However,
    I believe these things are somewhat weak as far as numbers go, like 130HP and 2something torque?

I assume the swap would be fairly straight forward (as far as engine swaps go)? almost like a 350 swap? Engine, tranny, mounts, t-case?

A guy on a local forum has one that's a good runner just pulled out of a K5, and that got the wheels turnin' in my head....

I'm probably just dreaming though.

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by FSJunkie
    Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
    The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
    1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44
  • Suddendeath
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 26, 2010

I can't speak on the difficulty of the swap, but my buddy has a M1009 CUCV blazer with the 6.2. It won't win any races or tow 20,000lbs, but with his 4.56's and detroits f/r he can go and do just about anything. Truck was sunk in a lake, water completely covering the back half up to the cab and only the top of the hood just barely above the water, and she was still purring like a kitten.
    1990 GW:
    Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
    10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

A starting place would be read up in the specialty tech section
      Alot of the same questions get posted all too often about Diesel swaps So here’s a Tech page for those Newbie or wanna be diesel FSJ conversion guys: If you have suggestions or additions please email me or jeepinpete and we will get it added. Consider what you type in your title use a 4- letter name for your engine

Scroll down to Dusty's post (#3?) about the Gm motors. I haven't done the swap but bought a 150,000 mile 6.2 2WD C20 for a donor but liked the way the Chev worked as is I didn't have the heart to ruin a perfectly good Chev. It's got a TH400 and 4.10 gears and no it's not a vroom vroom race truck for but normal use and towing works very well and jumps up onto a freeway with ease. Certainly no slower than a stock 150,000 mile AMC 360 gaso. Don't have a J-truck anymore and the C20 is in good condition so I plan to keep it stock till the wheels fall off. I'm a believer in the 6.2's. Lotsa aftermarket zoom zoom stuff avail if needed. My original swap intention was sorta based on your premise: should be any easy swap if you start with a complete donor truck. Complete donor 6.2 truck are a lot cheaper up front buy-in costs than a donor cummins truck. For small dsl's I do like inlines better than V's but in my world cost is a factor. Also has the typical Chev benefit, if you break it parts are avail at any drug store. I may not have "the best dsl" but it works very well for intended use. Key to any swap is start with a good condition motor with preferably a known maint/use history. I'd also recommend buy a complete donor truck rather than just a stand alone motor on a pallet. Hunting down/buying the little bitsa's can kill your budget. Figure out your allowable budget for a swap but keep in mind all motors need maint w/costs involved, they all wear out and break eventually. No dsl swap is an 'ok I'm done and will never have to pop the hood again' free ride.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Mikel
        • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by Dr. Marneaus
        A guy on a local forum has one that's a good runner just pulled out of a K5, and that got the wheels turnin' in my head....
        In my humble opinion "because I have this engine" is typically a bad criteria to start an engine swap. I would spend some time studying what engine would fit your needs best and doing a cost analysis, and then make the decision.

There are reasons why some engines are very cheap and others more expensive.
        1969 M715 6x6
        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
          360 AMC
          • Jun 16, 2010

Like i said, it just got the wheels turning in my head.
          The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• Tnfalconer
            232 I6
            • Jan 08, 2013

I am putting one in my 70 gladiator. Not because they are super cool or the latest thing or super powerful. Honestly I have plenty of them. The military sold them new in the crate for under 500 bucks a couple years back and I ended up with some extras. I have several CUCV trucks with 3.08 and 4.56 gears in them behind the 6.2 diesel and a 400 turbo. If you take care of it the combo is bomb proof. It is certainly underestimated, mostly by folks who have no actual knowledge of them other than what they read. Geared correctly they are great motors. It isn't a speed demon and doesn't make as much HP as a 5.9l cummins, but I have never been let down by mine. A turbo upgrade makes a HUGE difference in performance and can be had for junk prices usually. I love them. I have done more stupid stuff with my CUCV's than I care to mention here and they are still chugging right along. Parts are available at every parts house in the country. If you break down on the side of the road in BFE hundreds of miles from home, you will be glad to have such a common,underpowered, regular old 6.2 diesel motor under the hood. I know I have been.
            Last edited by Tnfalconer; 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• The Anti-Chrysler
              Disciple of A.M.C.
              • Aug 19, 2002

I had a NA 6.2 in a 1993 Sierra, and it ran great towards the end, I had it tuned well enough to throw around a k2500 4x4 extended cab around as well as I would compare to a TBI 305.

Unfortunately, at around 140k, the crankshaft broke. Literally in two. The back of the motor would run while the front pulleys did not move. Reminded me of the old 2.8V6 motors. I should also clarify that when it blew, it had a full pan of oil, was not overheated or even working hard, and had been running perfect in the months before.
              Jason Davis
              '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
              '85 J-10 (parts)
              '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• mdill
                Gone. Not Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2000

If you need an updated version (plug and play) with the old GM 6.2->6.5's

Specs.

Horsepower:
                • 190 @ 3400 rpm-T
                • 205 @ 3200 rpm-T
                • 160 @ 3400 rpm-T
                Torque:
                • 440/380 @ 1800 rpm-T
                • 290 @ 1800 rpm-N.A.
                Max Governed Engine Speed: 3400 rpm

That in front of a Allison 1000 or 6L80 would make a good swap.
                Last edited by mdill; 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM.
                -----------------------------------------
                Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                And the other stuff that gets driven
                ----------------------------------------

Comment

• carolinaboy
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 24, 2008

I like mine.

No it doesn't have the power of a cummins, I don't expect it to. I don't have as much in it as would have been with a cummins. Rebuildable 4bt/6bt's are at least a grand around here.

It does just fine being non turbo which I think comes from my gear ratio, tire, and transmission combo.
                  1989 grand wagoneer 6.2 diesel 700r4/208/4.27's 33" BFG's 4"lift

Come on over to the fsj network
                  http://www.fsjnetwork.com/

Comment

• budojeepr
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 02, 2006

I like mine too

I like mine. Long thread, lots of pics and source info:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=82155

I lucked out and got a 6.5 that had been transplanted into the donor Suburban. I sourced turbo, intake and exhaust manifolds off of eBay and had custom exhaust made so I could have a bit more power.

I love the throttle response and 20+mpg.
                    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                      360 AMC
                      • Jun 16, 2010

Awesome, thanks for the links guys, i'll get to readin'!
                      The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• Mr. Goatman
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 05, 2006

I'm glad you started this thread. I too am in the "thinking" stage for a diesel. I'm not going to swap my current wagoneer because I have been working in it forever and am almost done. I want to find good body and do a "frame off"- then put it back with a diesel. I am thinking older 6.2 for ease, cost, and fuel economy.
                        Remember; When it comes to tools and toys forgiveness is ALWAYS easier than permission!

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                          360 AMC
                          • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by budojeepr
                          I like mine. Long thread, lots of pics and source info:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=82155

I lucked out and got a 6.5 that had been transplanted into the donor Suburban. I sourced turbo, intake and exhaust manifolds off of eBay and had custom exhaust made so I could have a bit more power.

I love the throttle response and 20+mpg.
                          FYI i actually had a dream that i swapped the diesel into my jeep last night, and I was driving it around with a big ole grin on my face. Its all your fault for having those videos!!!!
                          The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• Tnfalconer
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 08, 2013

What is the general consensus on adapting the motor mounts to a J truck, for those that have put a 6.2 in their truck? Is there a kit that is better than the other? More complete?

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                              King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Tnfalconer
                              What is the general consensus on adapting the motor mounts to a J truck, for those that have put a 6.2 in their truck? Is there a kit that is better than the other? More complete?
                              Here is a posting about mounting a 6.2L Diesel engine.
                              There are good pictures that the Novak Adapters mounts higher on the frame rail and had to be trimmed for them to clear the steering shaft.
                              The Advance Adapters unit fits better.

I like the looks of the Novak units better.
                              Less holes equal more strength, but with less adjustability.

Howdy, I thought I'd introduce my new diesel Wagoneer project. After reading as many of the threads about this as possible, I decided to go with the GM diesel for my tired Wagoneer (yeah, Brad W, this is it). I bought a 1984 Suburban that had had a 1995 6.5L installed by Peterbilt in Phoenix. The engine has about 40k on it.
                              Bryan Smith
                              2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                              - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                              1986 Jeep J20
                              - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                              1982 Jeep J10
                              - Has become a Long Term Project.
                              1981 Jeep J20
                              - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                              1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                              - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                              ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                              Originally posted by Lindel
                              Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

Working...
                              X