• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nightglide
    232 I6
    • Jan 06, 2015

Originally posted by skeletor
    nightglide, are you going to replace the stock 5/16" fuel tank outlet line in the fuel pickup to 3/8" as per the Fitech instructions? It's the one thing I'm not sure what I'm going to do...or if it's even really necessary...

I am waiting for my system to come in and I'm just going over stuff before I dive in...
    Nope...on my truck the supply hose is already 3/8". The return is only 1/4" tho so I am changing that one to 5/16"
    If yours is only 5/16" I would change it. They say best is 1/2"....at least 3/8" or else it will starve the fuel pump and wear the pump out prematurely

Comment

• nightglide
      232 I6
      • Jan 06, 2015

The one thing I'm debating is how far to extend the return. Factory is just a few inches into tank. I watched videos saying if it's above the fuel level it will airate the fuel in the tank and the pick up will pick up air and get uneven pressure. I think I will extend mine down with a bend so it's away from pick up.

Comment

• skeletor
        350 Buick
        • Jan 31, 2006

How would you even change the tubes on the fuel pickup? Use a screw on bulkhead or weld it? For the return line, I was thinking about putting a return adapter like this:

Free Shipping - Moroso EFI Fuel Return Line Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Automotive Fuel Lines at Summit Racing.

But my j10 has what I can tell 1.5" hose, so that won't fit...

It would be so much easier if it could use the stock fuel and return lines.
        1984 j10 LWB - for sale
        1977 Cherokee chief wide track(sold)
        2004 LJ - sold
        2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by skeletor
          How would you even change the tubes on the fuel pickup? Use a screw on bulkhead or weld it? For the return line, I was thinking about putting a return adapter like this:

Free Shipping - Moroso EFI Fuel Return Line Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Automotive Fuel Lines at Summit Racing.

But my j10 has what I can tell 1.5" hose, so that won't fit...

It would be so much easier if it could use the stock fuel and return lines.
          Cut old tubes, drill holes bigger, solder new bent to match larger hard lines to plate.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• nightglide
            232 I6
            • Jan 06, 2015

Yup.....what baby wag said. Cut old return, drill it out, solder in new 5/16 return bent the way I want.
            I thought bout that filler return thingy.....I have some steel tubing in my filler neck already that I could remove and and a tube but I think other way is easier. Ito not to hard to drop tank on a truck.
            On a side note.......I did manage to get o2 sensor and temp sensor installed today......bout 5% there! Lol

Comment

• 80Limited
              232 I6
              • Feb 19, 2015

Are you using the stock ignition or going msd?

Comment

• nightglide
                232 I6
                • Jan 06, 2015

I'm keeping stock till I get it running.......then I molded a duraspark dist that I'm pretty sure will work with the Fitech timing control.

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                  360 AMC
                  • Jun 16, 2010

Well Owen, when we installing this bad boy?
                  Originally posted by FSJunkie
                  Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
                  The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
                  1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44

Comment

• nightglide
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 06, 2015

I so have project adhd lol. I've gotten half a alarm installed, some fitech installed, a door painted ready to install, a short box conversion, a 65 dash conversion and tonight I installed speakers! Gotta buckle down and finish one thing....hopefully the fitech

Comment

• nightglide
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 06, 2015

Finally

So it's finally installed. So far so good. Runs really smooth. Easy install except for a dumb wiring mistake I may or may not reveal to you guys tomm........
                      I'll post pics tomm Tho there isn't much to see......

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by nightglide
                        Easy install except for a dumb wiring mistake I may or may not reveal to you guys tomm.......
                        Aww come on?can't be any worse than what I did on my '90 when I first installed the TBI.

Mixed up a wire, and let some smoke out.
                        Fuel pump wire was tan
                        O2 sensor ground is tan w/ white stripe.

Tied tan fuel pump wire to ground, when I turned the key 1st time = smoking' wire
                        Easy fix, but felt pretty stupid that I wasn't more careful.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• nightglide
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 06, 2015

Originally posted by babywag
                          Aww come on?can't be any worse than what I did on my '90 when I first installed the TBI.

Mixed up a wire, and let some smoke out.
                          Fuel pump wire was tan
                          O2 sensor ground is tan w/ white stripe.

Tied tan fuel pump wire to ground, when I turned the key 1st time = smoking' wire
                          Easy fix, but felt pretty stupid that I wasn't more careful.
                          Everything was hooked up. Turn key, fuel pump primes, tbi primes, turn it over and fires for half a sec running on tbi prime gas. No tach signal. Go over everything. Call fitech. He tells me how to test tach signal on fitech and it's good. He's never heard of a jeep prestolite lol. He says fitech is finicky for tach signal and that ignition might not work!
                          So angry we race to summit, buy a hei. Race to auto zone for some cheap wires. Race home to install it all. Just about to pull dist and something dawns on me. Check coil wires and sure enough they are wired backwards. Tach signal wire on positive....power wire on neg!
                          Fix it, turn key fires first revolution lol
                          Sorry for the novel!

Comment

• nightglide
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 06, 2015

Comment

• nightglide
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 06, 2015

Have some video but not sure how to post em

Comment

• nightglide
                                232 I6
                                • Jan 06, 2015

The clips on my new throttle cable snapped. My buddy Gray had the awesome idea of using a ujoint clip! Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X