• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elwoody
    232 I6
    • Oct 05, 2009

Exhaust Soot

Just making a quick post here. Something that I noticed about a month after buying my wag was that it was throwing out soot -- I noticed because of staining on the frame around the garage door.

I've been talking with Chumley, and he noticed that the PO never hooked up the vacuum advance line. (Chevy 350 engine). At first I didn't really care, the PO had said that the VAL really didn't need to be hooked up. I mean it does drive pretty well, I wouldn't say perfect.

As for the soot, it's starting to become a bit of a problem with me mum. I mean I don't blame her, but what really to do? Here's a pic below. I'll be back to add some more stuff later.

"Oops... I think I broke it..."

Feel free to contact me via AIM or MSN. A little 1-on-1 regarding explanations really can help me learn.
  • aatcman
    258 I6
    • Apr 10, 2006

Wow,

Soot blowing onto the wall. Sounds like incomplete combustion to me.

Several possible causes:
    -Too much fuel (running rich)
    -Not enough Air (plugged air filter, stuck choke, etc...)
    -Partially plugged exhaust (stuck heat riser, damaged catalytic converter, damaged muffler, smashed tail pipe, etc....)
    -EGR valve stuck open -- this will allow too much exhaust to be redirected into the engine at low RPM's (such as idle) and displace the air needed for combustion.
    -Incorrect Timing (timing set wrong or timing chain worn out and possibly jumped)

You should definitly connect the vacuum advance -- BUT CHECK FIRST to make sure you have the factory ignition!! -- Sometimes aftermarket ignition kits direct you to disable the vacuum advance. -- if nothing else, connect it to manifold vacuum.

What is your fuel milage like?

If you open the hood, do you smell gas?

Just a few ideas to start with -- many many ways to go with this one -- too bad I am in the DC area now -- I was in norfolk for years -- would've invited you to meet me somewhere and taken a look at it for you!!

Hope this helps
    Just my 2 Cents (Good grief!! Even my weedeater laughs at me now!! Silly gas prices!)

1986 Grand Wagoneer (225xxx)

1988 Comanche Pioneer (215xxx)

Comment

I don't have an answer. I thought it was too much choke mixing with the water in the exhaust, but if I try to adjust it out, it won't run cold.
      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• Greenfish
        258 I6
        • Jul 12, 2010

Mine does the same thing. Let me know what you figure out.
        Baltimore
        1991 Grand Wagoneer, Rebuilt 360, Eddy Perf Manifold, Razor Grill
        1970 Plymouth 'Cuda (my baby)

Comment

• leostevo
          258 I6
          • Jan 27, 2009

My '90 GW is doing the same thing on startup. After it warms up and the choke backs off then I can check it by holding my hand or paper up to the tailpipe and it will be clean.

Waiting to see what you find out. I have a recently rebuild motor. I am thinking it may be the old exhaust and cat. (256,000 miles before the rebuild)

-Steve
          1990 Grand Wagoneer "Daddy Wagon"

AMC360/TF727/NP229

Edelbrock Performer Intake, Headers, Cam, 1406 Carb, Mallory HEI. No smog. Rusty's 4" all springs. '89 GW wheels, custom painted and wrapped in Maxxis Big Horn 31x10.50, dual 2.25" exhaust outside the frame rails.

Comment

• []V[]AXX
            350 Buick
            • Nov 10, 2009

Welcome to E10, soon to be E15 if the *@%$ EPA has it's way. I've enriched the mixture on my six banger as much as possible without it bogging, and now I get soot like mad. There are probably other reasons it's doing it, but FSJ's weren't set up to run this junk.

Comment

• jaber
              Dragin Az
              • Oct 17, 2003

I had a Chevy with a Edelbrock carb on it and it did the same thing. I rejetted the carb to smaller jets and it went WAY down. It sounds like you are running rich, but this could also be from other issues as stated above.
              Jeff

'43 cj2a
              '51 Willys p/u
              '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
              '68 Panel Delivery
              '74 CJ5
              '75 J-20 Wrecker
              '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
              '77 J-10 p/u
              '79 Cherokee
              '88 Grand Wagoneer
              '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• lost1
                350 Buick
                • Sep 21, 2008

I've got the same problem... I'm running a cat with nearly 300k miles on it though, so I suspect its a combination of that and a rich mixture.

The cat gets a violent death on Thursday.
                Originally posted by Locked and Loaded
                Jeeps don't get stuck. People do.
                <══════════════════════════════>
                Let the good times roll!
                '83 Wagoneer«» 401/TF727/3:31 AMC20

Comment

• Chumley360
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 06, 2007

We need to get in there and check some stuff. But haven't had the time.

I can tell that the PO of Elwoody's Wag cranked up the timing and then locked it. You can hear it when it's starting. Also when we put in his new t-case I noticed that it didn't look like the choke was opening up all the way. He's got a Chevy 350 swapped in, running a Q-junk with the old thermo-spring choke on an aluminum intake. I don't know why the PO didn't, at least, run an e-choke carb. Personally I'd drop the carb for a Holley or maybe even a FI setup, but that's me and I don't get around to half of my ideas. I'm with everyone else though, start with the simple checks and get the timing set and the advance working. Anyone know what port on a Q-jet the advance runs off of?
                  1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• skeletor
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 31, 2006

is it just at startup or all the time? if just at startup could just be condensation in the pipe.
                    1984 j10 LWB - for sale
                    1977 Cherokee chief wide track(sold)
                    2004 LJ - sold
                    2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

Comment

• Elwoody
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 05, 2009

Thanks for all the info, I think I have a decent idea of where to start.
                      "Oops... I think I broke it..."

Feel free to contact me via AIM or MSN. A little 1-on-1 regarding explanations really can help me learn.

Comment

Working...
                      X