Springs and seats--are we crazier than usual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackbess89wag
    232 I6
    • Mar 29, 2007

Springs and seats--are we crazier than usual?

Hey all--long time, no desperate pleas for help...!

Ok, this is far from desperate, but I'd really appreciate input from ya'll.

Ye ol' waggy (Black Bess) has been pressed into service briefly to haul a 16 foot flatbed trailer of hay--repeatedly. Her rump sags most ferociously under the burden. I searched the archives and it appears that some GMC springs might fit if we wanted to replace Bess' worn out springs. Is it likely that stronger springs and maybe a set of air shocks might resurrect her butt? (Wonder if it would work on mine...?) By the way, I do want to do a four inch lift in the future, but can't afford it right now. This is strictly junkyard scavenging stuff at the moment.

Next question to the Jeep gods...We are still trying to figure out the extra seating issue. We came to the conclusion...oh--who am I kidding...it was the hubby...(he has moments of brilliance!) that we could move the existing back seat all the way to the back, then add two more front seats where it came from. In this manner, we would have two more seats for the crumb-crushers, plus they wouldn't have to somersault over the bench seat to get to the very back, but they could instead walk politely between the two new seats (yeah, right!) Also, the u-pull place happens to have matching seats (same color leather as Bess). Anybody see any problems with our latest bizarre scheme?

Thanks a bundle folks!
  • DanHS
    • Aug 29, 2004

I've heard of people using a second rear seat facing rearward, I imagine there is absolutely no legroom as I can only see the rear seat barely fitting between the wheelwells and tailgate. Never seen a second set of front seats mounted in place of the rear seat, I'd imagine there would be less headroom as the floor is higher, but an interesting concept, worth doing some measuring.

As for the springs, might want to look for some non sagging stock springs and add-a-leaves to raise and stiffen the rear for hauling.
    '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification

Comment

• Rhino Racer
      258 I6
      • Aug 07, 2002

The front seats in the middle are a good idea to access the rear, never thought of that.

There's space to mount the seat all the way to the rear, however like Dan said, or actually unlike what he said, the headroom is the same but you would want to mount the seat taller so you'll have legroom, taking out headroom. Or else the kids would be sitting with their legs stretched pointing forward.
      <br /><br />82 Cherokee, 258, T-5, NP208, 33\" MTR\'s.

Comment

• blackbess89wag
        232 I6
        • Mar 29, 2007

Good point!

I mean, the kids are pretty short still, so technically their legs do stick pretty much straight out anyway, but in the event that all of the food they consume should result in growth, I guess some leg room could be a benefit!

Anybody have any hints for towing with a waggy?

Comment

• Serious Johnson
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • May 19, 2002

The best way to cure towing sag is with a weight distributing hitch, but they ain't cheap, and not common junkyard fare. If you're planning a lift later, it would be nice to avoid buying springs twice, so an add-a-leaf might be a reasonable band-aid. You'll need longer shocks with the lift, so the same applies there. Those add-on coils for the shocks can help a little bit, but remember that shock mounts aren't designed to actually support the vehicle. The Chevy spring thing sounds familiar, but I'll let someone who really knows advise you there. As for your own butt, we can't make an accurate diagnosis without pictures .

Bucket seats in the middle sounds good, but I'd look for some with a low profile rater than Wagoneer seats. The stock brackets aren't going to fit unmodified anyway, and the higher rear floor makes headroom scarce.

General towing advice on a budget: Go slow!

A transmission cooler is a very good thing to have, though you have several months before heat will be a problem on the Front Range.

Your brakes need all the help they can get -- trailer brakes are essential.

Good adjustable shocks are great for a dual-purpose tow rig/daily driver. I like Rancho 9000s.

As mentioned, a weight distributing hitch is the most important piece.

S.J.

PS: How's it running? Was your charcoal cannister theory correct?
          "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
          360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
          T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Jayrodoh
            360 AMC
            • Sep 07, 2004

The front seats won't fit in the rear like you think becuase of the wheel wells, tried it on the old wag. I've found that a spare rear seat in the back facing backwards is tolerable, as long as you lift it up a bit so it kinda overlaps the stock rear seat(the back is angled). I mounted some spare rear seat brackets on the floor of the wag and extended the the rear bumpers so it sits up a bit. I wouldn't ride back there, but for kids it'd be alright for shorter trips.
            Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

• blackbess89wag
              232 I6
              • Mar 29, 2007

Thanks for the tips, guys. We actually have an equalizer hitch (scavenged from a camper) than we're putting on the flatbed, so hopefully that will help. Been haulin' hay and livestock since I was kneehigh to a short pony, so believe me--I drive slow with a questionable load on!

I wouldn't say that the tranny is unhappy with the work, though. I had to pull my very heavy 4 horse trailer briefly one day, and the tranny started slipping. We're pulling around 4000lbs on the trailer, and the engine and tranny are happy enough with it.

The likely hood of pix of my own rump spring problems is unlikely. Would hate to blind any innocent Jeep lovers!

Charcoal thing pretty much fixed. Still haven't had time to drop the tank and completely clean it, so we run some good cleaner through it pretty regularly, and it's fine. We need to change out the fuel level sending unit when the drop the tank. Right now it's a guessing game on when we'll run out of petrol!

Yes, our brakes do need all the help they can get! Oh well, take a number...!

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X