X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 8man
    304 AMC
    • Jan 04, 2011

Well, it's been a while and I had completely recovered from the withdrawals that one gets when kicking a habit, and now ITS BACK!

I dropped the tranny/t-case off at a friend's shop to have him install the new tail shaft Advanced Adapter kit for me while checking out the 4L60E and the 1982 NP 208. That was the first week of November. Fast forward to APRIL and I FINALLY get my tranny/t-case back!!! Of course he hasn't even mentioned a bill!!!

An old high school buddy, Richard is moving back from Montana and was in Baytown so he brought it to me. In about 30 minutes we were setting it in place

That's Richard, we used to work on hot rods together in high school, and that was the last time either of us worked on cars for fun. He enjoyed it enough to start looking for his own so we can do it after mine is done.

Well, it bolted up nicely. I used the Jeep N Pete motor mounts for the engine and used the front holes, I didn't drill new holes like others, I'll pay for that later.

So I cut out the front lip, turned it over and welded it back in. This lowered the rear of the t-case so I have a real nice line for the rear axle, and the front one has less offset too.

Then I thought about it and decided it needed some stiffening since it would be riding on that front lip.

This is a picture from the bottom side showing the 2" angle used to stiffen that front lip.

And here is that new Adapter support leg sitting in place on the original Jeep tranny support.

The cross member is bolted in the rear holes. The rear drive shaft is about 1" from dropping in, so I'll have it shortened to allow for some play.

The conundrum is the front shaft. I got them with the 82 I bought off of Iflypropjobs in Little Rock. The front shaft is about 8" too long! I mean it is WAY off. If the t-case moved back making the rear shaft too short, HOW cant he front shaft be sooooo long? Anyway, I'll take it down and have it shortened as well.

QUESTION, I do not know how to make the emergency brake work! The cross member is from the 82, and I think it must have been mounted in the front holes under the auto in that one. I can't figure out how the E brake will "wire" up under there. Once I get the drive shafts in and the exhaust on it, I guess I'll figure out something for that.

Then I started on the fuel system. I read on the Bronco site about using a large fuel filter as a reservoir for the high pressure fuel pump to pull from to supply the engine, and using a low pressure pump to keep fuel in the fuel filter. That way when the gas sloshes around in the old tank you can keep a steady stream of fuel going to the engine.

As a side note, the 82 I bought had an auxiliary fuel tank where the rear tire should go. The rust on the under side of the rear deck over that tank was awful, it had made Swiss cheese of the entire rear cargo area, wheel wells and all. Anyway, here is hoping that the double pump with the holding tank will work as others say.

First I had to build a bracket to wrap around the front of the fuel tank coffin. It bolts to the frame, to the top lip of the coffin, through the fuel filter to the coffin (3 places) and then wraps the side of the coffin to add some rigidity. Here are some pictures of that.

Top of the fuel filter (holding tank) from the top.

High pressure pump mounted on the frame rail.

And here is a side shot showing how the bracket wraps the coffin and mounts to the side.

I can shake the frame when I pull or push on the filter, but it doesn't appear to "vibrate" at all. So I hope it works fine.

The body tub has been at the body shop since the first of November. He swore that "weather permitting" he would start this weekend on the tub. So maybe I can have the drive shafts in and the exhaust run before it gets here.
    79 Cherokee S (current project)
    82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Strode
      1st Chair, Cowbell
      • Nov 08, 2011

Nice, Robert. Good to see progress.
      Brad
      (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• WHSII
        Hack-Priss
        • Feb 06, 2010

You go Robert!

Looking good, keep it moving, a little day by day.
        WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
        Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• 8man
          304 AMC
          • Jan 04, 2011

Ok, getting some stuff ready and I can't find the two bolts that hold the starter in place. So I stopped by the dealer, thinking 2 bolts, no biggie. When the parts guy said "HOLY S#*!" I knew I was in trouble.

$28/bolt and I need two.

So I called the local fastener and bolt shop and they had the M10 x 1.5 x 120 bolts for $1.98 each. I need them to be 113mm long, so I'll just trim them down to length for that price!

The drive shafts are going to the shop Friday to be shortened and then with Easter weekend, I won't get to work on it until next weekend at the earliest! The DT's are already starting back up.

Comment

• 8man
            304 AMC
            • Jan 04, 2011

Well I'm back in the garage for the Memorial Day weekend. What better way to take off work to relax than work on Road Trip.

The body tub has been media blasted and it looks shiny.

And the inside as well

Since the body tub is moving along, it is obviously time to make sure stuff fits together like I imagined.

So the only thing to do is put one of the old bodies on the frame and test fit everything. So I need to stuff an old body in the garage, lift it and put it on the frame. By myself. Good thing my Dad was a rigger. He explained how to lift the body and move it into the garage. Once in the garage I have the gantry crane to lift it, so here goes.
            First to make up the "whipper snapper" or sometimes referred to as a jib boom.

And then stuff it in the garage without damaging it (because I may want to do another one when finished with RT)

Once in the garage I used the chain hoist on one side and the electric winch on the other side to lift the body high enough to clear the frame.

I was able to roll the body while hanging on the gantry crane and by rolling the chassis back under it I was able to lower it slowly into position and get 4 body bolts in place easily. Then I put the front clip together and here it is

the good news is that it fit well. I sat the hood in place and it fit over the cover on the vortec 5.3. I started looking at the battery/intake and how they would fit together under there. I would like some pictures of what others have done to consider. I have looked at Protouring's air box/battery box and would like other ideas before I start on that.

I said earlier that I was using the stock NP208 from the 82. Because the 4L60E is shorter than the old turbo the 208 wound up a couple of inches forward. I showed my work up there, but now with the body in place I can test fit the stock floor lever shifter. Yep it was now too short. So I extended it about 2" and it fits.

I don't know about you, but I had a great Memorial Day weekend!

Comment

• 8man
              304 AMC
              • Jan 04, 2011

I took the wife with me today, as we were putting the body tub on the frame for the 1st and last time. All the rest of the paint work on the tub will be done while it is on the frame. The top and bottom were painted. The inner wheel wells were painted with bed liner and the underside was painted with body color, all the way up into the firewall. The top was painted and buffed. All of this was done on the rotisserie, so they could do it while standing facing it.

Yes, I'm having the paint work done by professionals. Yes, it is costing a small fortune. Yes, I would liked to have done it myself, but I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PAINT! So while I'm not painting the body, I did get to help out setting the newly painted tub on the frame. So here are some pictures of our work today.

First, the body being lowered on to the frame.

The body sitting on the frame.

A close up view of the frame, the 5.3L, the shiny headers and the tub setting in its proper place, ON THE FRAME!

Looking at the inside all ready to paint next.

It really is a Jeep! Just look...

Ok, now for the unveiling of the color, outside in the sun,

And inside under the lights,

And finally a close up of the combination of Maroon, black chassis and the shiny headers,

If you can't tell, I'm a little pumped at seeing it together for the first time. I'm glad Laura was with me to take pictures. She got excited too, seeing it look more like a Cherokee. She really likes the color.

We are doing the black Cherokee Chief lettering and the stripes in black. It will be a very subtle difference in the colors unless it's in the sun where it should pop. I bought a set of decals that we are going to make stencils from and then they will use the stencils to paint the Chief logo and stripes on before the last coat of clear.

Next up we are going to test fit all the bolt on pieces on the tub and frame, mark them for re-installation after paint and they will then get to work on the paint for the tub. The doors, tailgate and hinges (as well as some smaller body parts like the tunnel cover, the inside gas tank cover, etc) have all been media blasted to clean the paint off. They have been etched primed and are sitting waiting for the next step.

Comment

• Strode
                1st Chair, Cowbell
                • Nov 08, 2011

Beautiful! What color is that?

I'm happy for you Robert. It's great to make progress.
                Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• 8man
                  304 AMC
                  • Jan 04, 2011

The color is 2012 Dodge Durango maroon.

Comment

• ProTouring442
                    327 Rambler
                    • Mar 15, 2011

Lookin' good sir!
                    You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• WHSII
                      Hack-Priss
                      • Feb 06, 2010

A+++

Looking great!
                      WH

Comment

• 8man
                        304 AMC
                        • Jan 04, 2011

Well, after 22 months - they only worked on it since May of this year, thank God they didn't charge me storage while they got around to it, Road Trip came home today. A couple of pictures.

The Cherokee Chief is Hot Rod black paint. They used the decal to make a stencil that they could then paint it. We discussed it and I wanted it to feel like there was a stencil without having a plastic stencil on it. I think it worked. Now if anyone wants a black decal for theirs, let me know.

There was a dent in the hood, but I can't find it!

And the obligatory "it's shiny" pic

Dark Molten Red was the base coat, then 4 coats of clear make up the shiny. The best news of all is that Laura absolutely loves the color scheme!

RT is now back in the garage, waiting on me now. I have sorted and organized and I think I'm ready for the next challenge, electrical and getting it to fire up that first time!
                        Last edited by 8man; 09-04-2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Strode
                          1st Chair, Cowbell
                          • Nov 08, 2011

That looks gorgeous! Good for you, Robert

We need more, BIGGER pictures. Upload them to PB at 900x700 something.

Let's see some more glamour shots.

We are going to have to have a Prissy meet up sometime next year.

The 1st Annual Prissy Restoration Association Convention. I'm thinking Vegas? We'll see where WH wants to drive to.
                          Last edited by Strode; 09-04-2014, 04:54 PM.
                          Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• WHSII
                            Hack-Priss
                            • Feb 06, 2010

Outstanding Robert!
                            WH

Comment

• racegas
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jul 15, 2012

WHOOP!
                              'Robert E Lee'
                              89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• mdcptman
                                Jeep Therapist
                                • Apr 09, 2010

Like the day your baby comes home for the first time! Im so happy for you both!
                                88 Grand Wagoneer
                                360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
                                Edelbrock 2131
                                Holley 600
                                Hydroboost
                                Hedman headers
                                Dual exhaust
                                MSD6A, TFI
                                Digital Gauges
                                Rusty's 2" Lift
                                31x10.5 15LT15s