• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddversatile
    232 I6
    • Oct 08, 2017

327 Cam Bearing Help

Hey guys recently finished rewiring my 68' Gladiator from the cab back and I'm now ready to assemble the engine, however I have forgotten the orientation of the cam bearings inside the block prior to removing them from the block

The bearing journal on the 327 has two oiling ports on it. One coming from the top of the engine from the main oil gallery and the other leading down towards the crank bearings. It also features a deep groove that encircles the bearing, allowing I believe oil to pass around the cam bearings down to the crank

Currently I have installed 3/5 of the bearings and now I'm questioning my judgement. The bearings have only one oiling port in them, and I have them oriented facing downwards at the crank.

I question my judgement since if the oiling port is on the bottom but the engine supplies oil from above would the cam not get lubricated

Next time I will ensure I take pictures

If I have explained this weirdly please refer to this sketch

If anyone knows the correct orientation or if they can take pictures of their 327 it would be very very appreciated. Thanks,
    dd
    1968 Jeep Gladiator J-3000 327 Vigilante V8, T-18 transmission, Dana 20 Transfer Case (Twin Stick), Dana 44 full float in the front and semi float 53 in the rear. 4.09 axles
    1972 GMC 1500 basket-case (300$ buy )
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Hi - I understand your question. Typically the factory service manual (FSM) contains both a diagram of the oil path through the engine, and a description of how the oil travels to the lifters and bearings. I do not have FSM that covers the 327, but there is some info here - http://jubileejeeps.org/327/index.htm From my quick reading of this info, it does not appear that oil goes through the cam bearing and on to the mains. Maybe... If you can't get a better response here, I'd suggest you ask on the AMC car sites. The 250/287/327 used in the AMC cars is the same engine that is in your Jeep.

Quoting the above,

Oil is returned from the oil filter to the main central longitudinal oil gallery. All camshaft and main crankshaft bearings are lubricated from the center longitudinal oil gallery. Holes drilled in the crankshaft throws afford lubrication to the connecting rod bearings. Low speed cylinder wall lubrication is obtained through small holes or channels in the parting surface of the connecting rod and bearing caps.

Discussion forum for American Motors cars and products, restoration details and more.

Last edited by tgreese; 07-05-2019, 12:35 PM.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• ddversatile
      232 I6
      • Oct 08, 2017

Originally posted by tgreese
      Hi - I understand your question. Typically the factory service manual (FSM) contains both a diagram of the oil path through the engine, and a description of how the oil travels to the lifters and bearings. I do not have FSM that covers the 327, but there is some info here - http://jubileejeeps.org/327/index.htm From my quick reading of this info, it does not appear that oil goes through the cam bearing and on to the mains. Maybe... If you can't get a better response here, I'd suggest you ask on the AMC car sites. The 250/287/327 used in the AMC cars is the same engine that is in your Jeep.

Quoting the above,

Oil is returned from the oil filter to the main central longitudinal oil gallery. All camshaft and main crankshaft bearings are lubricated from the center longitudinal oil gallery. Holes drilled in the crankshaft throws afford lubrication to the connecting rod bearings. Low speed cylinder wall lubrication is obtained through small holes or channels in the parting surface of the connecting rod and bearing caps.

Discussion forum for American Motors cars and products, restoration details and more.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/1965-1971-...al_p_1055.html
      I do in fact have that TSM . And the information you've quoted is about all that is in the tsm, however
      A fellow on AMC Forum sent me this

It looks like the bearings should be oriented with the holes facing upwards towards the oil gallery to give as much lubrication to the cam as possible, as there is a channel around the bearings that brings the oil down towards the crankshaft bearings anyhow.
      1968 Jeep Gladiator J-3000 327 Vigilante V8, T-18 transmission, Dana 20 Transfer Case (Twin Stick), Dana 44 full float in the front and semi float 53 in the rear. 4.09 axles
      1972 GMC 1500 basket-case (300$ buy )

Comment

Working...
      X