• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pensky2
    232 I6
    • Dec 22, 2003

Instrument Cluster

Has anyone rebuilt the Instrument Cluster in a Grand Wagoneer? I have seen this done on tons of older cars at car shows. I recently purchased a cluster from ebay and want to try and make a custom display for my '88 GW.

Possible combinations I was thing about was:
    1. keeping the odometer and speedometer, replace the fuel, temp, oil, and volt meters with modern versions.

2. replace all the gauges, yet reuse the clusters case (for a correct fit).

I have only begun my research and I know dial gauges are avalible but are liniar ones avalible to match the original ones?

Are there dial gauges small enough to fit into the original case?

Any ideas on this subject would be great, even if it's just to tell me that I'm waisting my time (I'll try harder then!).
  • Warmachine
    258 I6
    • Dec 22, 2006

Dakota Digital makes a snazzy all digital alternative. Spendy, but still cool.

Check them out here

I order quite a few of DD's gauges for work, cost sucks, but quality is outstanding!
    Mike Wood
    Resident alien and thread killer!

Comment

• hennikerjd
      232 I6
      • Jul 20, 2010

I'm curious about this as well. I've got the "unglued bouncing around plexi disk" problem in my dash. Looks like crap.

Those DD dashes are nice, but... $$$!!
      1979 Cherokee WT 2dr
      360 TH400 QT
      ...slowly catching up on decades of neglect

Comment

• Warmachine
        258 I6
        • Dec 22, 2006

Originally posted by hennikerjd
        ....Those DD dashes are nice, but... $$$!!
        Trust me, it took me quite awhile to get past the sticker shock of their products. But after I had a customer call from Canada and place another truck order (demanding we use the same gauges as on his previous rig) because ours were the only trucks that had working instrumentation at -40... I got over it.

Big $, but you get what you pay for. Personally, I wouldn't drop that kind of coin on a daily driver, but I highly recommend their individual gauge units.
        Mike Wood
        Resident alien and thread killer!

Comment

• pensky2
          232 I6
          • Dec 22, 2003

That is really cool!!!! $600 is alot of cash, but it may be worth it. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
          X