Tested the tent, retread tires, and (nearly) used truck as lightning rod!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BKCowGod
    232 I6
    • Apr 14, 2007

Tested the tent, retread tires, and (nearly) used truck as lightning rod!

So we decided 106 degrees was too much and went up Hwy 4 to the Stanislaus National Forest instead. Many pictures available at http://www.kuhgott.com/coppermine/th...s.php?album=50

The Tent: Enel Adventure II, $179 shipped from tentsontrucks.com
    Setup took roughly 10 minutes (about equal to a traditional ground tent). It has lots of good vents and pockets and an amazing amount of space to stand up and not be cramped. I love that the roof is see-thru mesh, great for stargazing. It has a rain fly that is sewn to the front - you just roll it out over the top and you are done. Didn't get a chance to try it in high wind, though I could see that being a problem.
    I only have two complaints - one is the quality of materials is on the flimsy side. I am sure it will hold up, but I was planning on using 10oz cotton canvas to make my own, so this is quite a bit weaker feeling. My other problem stems from the universal nature. There is a 1" gap between the front of my truck bed and the front of the tent (wish I'd taken a pic) that I could probably remedy with some fiddling, but it was a bit annoying. Of course, it also requires you to have some other method of protecting stuff in the bed while in motion. I bought some surplus canvas and made a tonneau. Worked fine...

The Tires: TreadWright 33x12.5-15 Mud Terrains - For the price ($90/ea), you can't possibly beat these. They make the usual MT noise on the highway, but no more than a "virgin" tire. Just as grippy as my dad's BFG AT's on the granite rocks, better in the mud of course, and went as fast as you would want through the turns on the pavement. Also surprisingly good in the snow. I sliced a chunk off on a rock, and two of them are losing a bit of air. But I blame the air on 30 year old magnesium wheels.

The Truck: This was my first true off-roading trip since I made this truck my own. Bitter that I didn't get to use my winch, but the Holley Truck Avenger (670cfm) performed flawlessly. I still have some work to do on the bunged up throttle linkage, but it was okay. I averaged 15mpg over about 400mi of driving, including off-road, 70mph runs, stop-and-go, low range, 5000' elevation changes, etc. I am very happy.

My lovely tent in-situ

Me, my mattress, my down blanket, and my jerry cans... what more do you need?

Action shot of brother's Nissan

Two nice ones of me in action... Courtesy of bro:

Group shot at the top of the hill

Prettiness

The GPS said this was a road...

I started the weekend with four shocks........
    BKCowGod - '80 Cherk - San Jose, CA
    Current status: Running, daily driving until I fix the #@&$*^ vacuum leaks on the Porsche.
  • dd76522
    232 I6
    • Mar 18, 2008

good review..sweet truck.... and i bet it was a great weekend!
    72 waggy... 44's f&r 4.10's lockrite front welded rear, 4wheel discs, 33" dick cepecks, stock 360 with thorleys, 4" bj's spring lift with chevy shackles f 2" blocks rear, 1" body lift and some new creative body work.... waiting on 1tons and a cage!

Comment

• Mack_T
      258 I6
      • Dec 04, 2006

Nice dude! Looks like you had some fun out there.

The air looks much cleaner where you went; here in Sonoma County we've been getting the smoke from the fire in the Napa area

I can't wait to get up to Tahoe

Clay
      1987 Grand Wagoneer Daily Driver "The Family Wagon"
      Bilstein 5125's, 9" front, 8.5" rear
      CA legal (stock) 360 with a flipped a/c lid
      Rough Country 3" front springs
      Rough Country AAL/ block rear
      Custom interior bicycle rack
      -------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.carleynet.net/familypictures
      www.sonic.net

Comment

• BKCowGod
        232 I6
        • Apr 14, 2007

It was so nice up there, but the pollen was murder (until the rain cleared it up a bit)
        Current status: Running, daily driving until I fix the #@&$*^ vacuum leaks on the Porsche.

Comment

• SirPaul64
          232 I6
          • Feb 04, 2001

i use treadwrights on my Wag im more than pleased with them
          1947 Willys Pickup
          2001 Jeep Wrangler
          2006 Jeep Commander
          1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Treeshark
            327 Rambler
            • Dec 13, 2003

Great pictures, thanks for posting.
            Scott Hadley
            Lexington Park, MD
            '88 Grand Wag (deceased)

Comment

Use of your AMC vehicle to curb lightning strikes should be avoided, as it may terminate your warranty. That is, YOUR warranty, not the trucks.
              Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
              Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• BKCowGod
                232 I6
                • Apr 14, 2007

Yah, we realized that we were the only metal objects at the top of the highest peak for a few miles, and the lightning was hitting disturbingly close. We booked it out of there pretty quick.

Comment

• skeletor
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 31, 2006

thats an awesome pic, i love your jeep
                  1984 j10 LWB - for sale
                  1977 Cherokee chief wide track(sold)
                  2004 LJ - sold
                  2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

Comment

Working...
                  X