• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krek
    Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by mafos4471
    All the 455's had distributers on the front of the engine, so thats not a problem.
    For sure? The engine I looked at today had the dizzy on the rear. It had aftermarket valve covers and air cleaner... I'm not sure what else it could have been.

It was in a '72 Delta 88...
    SuperChief Project Thread: click

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click

Comment

• Dirtball
      304 AMC
      • Apr 10, 2006

Hope this helps (looks like you WERE looking at on Olds engine):

The Olds engine family is identified by:
      1. An oil fill tube at the front of the engine, just over the timing chain enclosure. It is offset to the right (passenger side) of the engine, and on most cars, it stands straight up 'n' down. A few engines use a fill tube with a slight bend in it, but the base of the tube will be vertical.

2. Distributor in the rear, but offset slightly to the left (driver's) side. It rotates counter-clockwise as seen from above. Distributor does not enter the intake manifold.

3. Valve covers are held on with 10 bolts (early engines) or 5 bolts (later engines.) The pattern is the same, but every other hole is unused (and perhaps undrilled) on the 5-bolt covers. 10 bolt covers use five bolts on the bottom row, and five bolts on the top row. 5 bolt covers use three bolts on the bottom row, and two bolts on top row.

4. The timing chain cover is a flat, stamped sheetmetal cover with provision for the front main seal and water pump outlet openings. Fuel pump is mounted to the right (passenger side) of the timing chain housing.

5. There are identifying numbers and letters cast into the top of the timing chain housing at the front of the engine, just in front of the intake manifold. If the large figure at the end is a number, you're looking at a small block. If the large figure at the end is a letter, you're looking at a big block. All 455s use the letter F to identify them.

Info taken from: http://reviews.ebay.com/GM-Big-Block...00000002053785
      Paul
      1979 Cherokee N/T
      360/TH400/Qtrac/D44s/rear Lock-right
      6 inch Hell Creek all spring lift
      34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
      http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1394.jpg
      http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1390.jpg
      http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_1387-2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mafos4471
        All the 455's had distributers on the front of the engine, so thats not a problem.
        Originally posted by krek
        For sure? The engine I looked at today had the dizzy on the rear. It had aftermarket valve covers and air cleaner... I'm not sure what else it could have been.

It was in a '72 Delta 88...
        It would be an OLDS 455. The only 455 with the Dizzy up front would be the Buick.
        Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
        Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• HorribleHarry
          232 I6
          • Aug 13, 2006

I just don't like the idea of putting a Ford in a Jeep...
          You'd rather see a chevy in there???
          ewwwwwwwww yucky (sorry, I grew up in the blue oval)

hehe
          Harry
          86 GW, 360-V8, NP229, Tow Package(3.73's), D44/AMC23, aux. 25 gal. fuel tank, 2.5" lift, 31"BFG AT's, dual Flowmaster exhaust w twin cats, factory brush guard, PIGNOSE transplant!, rust, shiny chrome valve covers! ...and no more woodgrain!
          89 Range Rover classic hunter (with factory standard leaky head gaskets!!!)
          87 Vanagon SYNCRO 4X4

Comment

• GWChris
            304 AMC
            • Jan 22, 2005

When you think about how many OHV pushrod V8 designs the US auto industry made, and how similar they all are from a big picture point of view, it's really silly to have allegence to a particular brand or type. That's without getting into the whole concept of people tying their personal identity to that of a corporation....

Anyway, some particular designs were better worked out than others, and some fit better in a particular application than others - go with whatever gives the best result for the effort and money - or perhaps just use what interests you. The only "correct" engine from a restoration point of view is an AMC.

$4.55 / ga.?

Comment

• krek
              Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by GWChris
              The only "correct" engine from a restoration point of view is an AMC.
              My 1970 Wagoneer came from the factory with a Buick 350.

I like the idea of the Buick big block because it is closer to "stock/original" than the other makes.
              SuperChief Project Thread: click

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

What about the Ford 429/C6 for an engine in a FSJ? I'm assuming it would bolt up to an NP205?
                Check this out:
                Ford Bigblock swap ideas
                Bryan Smith
                2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                1986 Jeep J20
                - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                1982 Jeep J10
                - Has become a Long Term Project.
                1981 Jeep J20
                - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                Originally posted by Lindel
                Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Tobynine9
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 05, 2007

Originally posted by LouM
                  I like the Olds engines myself but the Buick 455 was the only stock engine of that era to produce over 500 lb. ft. or torque.

Lou
                  Nah, the Caddy 472 in '68 and '69 made 525 lb. ft. The '70 Caddy 500 made 550.

Go Caddy!
                  -1985 GW, a.k.a. the BUG - sold it...

My name isn't really Toby. That's just a handle.

Comment

• COLOFIREMAN
                    Gone,But not Forgotten.
                    • Apr 09, 2005

So did you buy the Olds you went to look at or are you still looking? I have one for sale on this board if you are.
                    Jason in the Mountains
                    1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
                    1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
                    1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
                    1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
                    1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
                    1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

I have an Olds 455. The distributor IS in the rear, and yes, clearing the firewall and radiator at the same time is somewhat of a concern.
                      Edit: I still think it can be done without too much trouble.
                      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• HorribleHarry
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 13, 2006

So while we're all here, what is involved in a Buick 350 to 455 swap in a factory Jeep/Buick application? Is this the easiest swap?

Harry
                        86 GW, 360-V8, NP229, Tow Package(3.73's), D44/AMC23, aux. 25 gal. fuel tank, 2.5" lift, 31"BFG AT's, dual Flowmaster exhaust w twin cats, factory brush guard, PIGNOSE transplant!, rust, shiny chrome valve covers! ...and no more woodgrain!
                        89 Range Rover classic hunter (with factory standard leaky head gaskets!!!)
                        87 Vanagon SYNCRO 4X4

Comment

• Eugene 1
                          304 AMC
                          • Feb 04, 2006

Originally posted by GWChris
                          Anyway, some particular designs were better worked out than others, and some fit better in a particular application than others - go with whatever gives the best result for the effort and money - or perhaps just use what interests you. The only "correct" engine from a restoration point of view is an AMC.

$4.55 / ga.?
                          which happens to be designed after a buick engine...
                          JEEP
                          2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• GWChris
                            304 AMC
                            • Jan 22, 2005

My 1970 Wagoneer came from the factory with a Buick 350.

I like the idea of the Buick big block because it is closer to "stock/original" than the other makes.
                            Certainly true for those years - I stand corrected.

Originally posted by Eugene 1
                            which happens to be designed after a buick engine...
                            This is nonsense. The only similarity is that it has a cast aluminum front cover with the oil pump in it. This was done because it is easier and cheaper to make one complex aluminum casting with all the detail in it, and leave the rest of the parts be simpler cast iron parts. Other than that it bears no more resemblance to a Buick V8 than it does to every other US cast iron pushrod V8. I find it interesting that the AMC V8 was one of the last clean sheet designs from that era.

Comment

• mafos4471
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 07, 2007

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman
                              It would be an OLDS 455. The only 455 with the Dizzy up front would be the Buick.
                              I stand corrected...

Comment

• incommando

Originally posted by HorribleHarry
                                So while we're all here, what is involved in a Buick 350 to 455 swap in a factory Jeep/Buick application? Is this the easiest swap?

Harry
                                At least in a Skylark, all it took was taking out the 350 & putting in the 455. There is not a huge head size difference, ala SBC-BBC, to accentuate the deck-height change.

IIRC, the Buick is the lightest 455 while the Olds is the shortest oil pan to intake?

Pontiacs just sound neat.

Comment

Working...
                                X