Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

I have seen plenty of 360's go past 200k miles. And I think if anybody has shown how a 360 can hold up, its andrew. I don't see his sees anything less than 5k rpm when hes out on the trail.

If you got all the stuff for free sam, I would say its worth it to switch. Otherwise, fixing a single bad cylinder is pretty cheap.

And as asked earlier, did you just put this engine in in used form, was it a rebuilt engine, or whats the story behind it?

Comment

• billyrb
      BJ's Off-Road
      • Aug 15, 2001

sambo, if you go with another used engine (even if they claim it's been rebuilt), you'd be dollars ahead to buy a gasket kit and some plastigauge and tear down the motor. Double check the bearings, wear patterns on the motor, torque on the bolts, check the pistons / rings / etc. as MANY folks, even rebuilders tend to either install them wrong or nick them when they are dropping them into the cans. Plastigauge to check the bearing sizes, make sure the bearings are the right size. Check the timing chain depth, etc. Yeah, it's bunch of work, but I'd rather spend a saturday tearing everything down and measuring, then have it all reassembled that night or sunday morning to be sure. Worst case, you see that you didn't get what you paid for and you then can buy the parts you need to fix the problems. But then again, I'm nuts and think that stuff is fun
      BJ's Off-Road
      [email protected]
      Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Sambo
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Sep 25, 2001

y'all are gonna call me a traitor now
        i went and bought a 90 singel cab toyota for $100,tranny needs rebuilt
        gonna go pick it up this week sometime...

it will be my DD/wheeler till i get all my stuff rounded up and built for the heep
        77 chero DEAD.
        84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

Originally posted by Lindel
          How so? All of us have a Jeep full of GM parts, what's one or two more?

I never said AMC or GM is better one way or the other, engine wise. I simply said use what you have, and maybe get some more/better gearing in the bargain.

Sam's jeep isn't stock (from your avatar, your's isn't either) so I don't see how that can play into it.

Ultimately, it's Sam's choice.
          it's called a joke

I could care less what he does. you're right, it's his rig. the only Jeep/AMC parts I have on my truck are the body, frame and engine. Everything else is chevy.
          Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
          I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
          Originally posted by johnny019
          I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• elbastardo
            327 Rambler
            • Oct 04, 2005

GMs still around..........And close to goining chrysler........Wich owns jeep. Its a full circle thing . See its all about perspective and dancing bananas.

Comment

• gp_frk
              360 AMC
              • Mar 27, 2002

Originally posted by Sambo

it will be my DD/wheeler till i get all my stuff rounded up and built for the heep

please tell me its not a v6!
              Texas Full Size Jeep Association
              www.tfsja.org

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo

have fun replacing CV axles! or do a SAS so you can experience replacing birfields!

Al
                79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• Sambo
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Sep 25, 2001

Originally posted by AlsChopShop
                  have fun replacing CV axles! or do a SAS so you can experience replacing birfields!

Al
                  well as fate would have it should be getting my 1 tons and i found a set of 2.5's rockwells for the jeep...another steal deal the fella wants $600 for those and he'll throw in a rockwell tcase as well
                  77 chero DEAD.

Comment

front and rear rockwells or both fronts? either way that's a good deal.
                    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                    Originally posted by johnny019
                    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• Sambo
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Sep 25, 2001

i forgot to ask,but i believe its a front and rear! that would be an awesome steal if it was 2 fronts
                      77 chero DEAD.

Comment

• 75 FSJ CHIEF
                        232 I6
                        • Mar 02, 2007

I must say, I tried hard to be an AMC guy. However, the first 360 I had wouldn't hold oil pressure, turned out to be the bottom end and the crank needed to be welded! After that engine, I went with another AMC360 and this one ended up losing oil pressure and tired as well. I didn't want to end up doing this again, so I just recently dropped a crate sbc 350 (easier than I thought!) I am still working on finishing up the project. should have it back in shape in next couple of weeks! I still have both AMC360s, albeit the first one has been torn down to the block and magnafluxed sitting on a shelf and the second is now sitting on a stand in my garage. Too bad, maybe down the road I'll change my mind or someone will make me an offer I can't refuse (these are starting to get fairly sparse relative to the Chevy)...but this is just my opinion. Good luck!
                        Ol'Bessy originally AMC 360/T-18/Dana 20/Dana 44s. Now SBC350, TH400, Novak conversion mounts and adapter.

Comment

• duncanstives
                          304 AMC
                          • Mar 27, 2008

Mine 360 has 194K...

Flogged regularily, runs great, all stock (new carb has been rejetted but thats it)....

All about luck I guess.
                          88 Waggy
                          Resting in peace... Um... In piece... Er... IN PIECES

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing

Comment

• Sambo
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Sep 25, 2001

maybe i just need a head rebuild! need to do a comp test,and a leak down test! then go from there...
                            77 chero DEAD.

Comment

• Stuka
                              • Jan 21, 2001

Yeah, find the issue first. Any 20-30 year old engine is not going to last as long as a brand new crate engine. And no single brand is better than another. Every engine has its own issues. SBC's have their own issues.

So yeah, find the issue. If its major, and you have a cheap/free engine and transmission laying around, swap over. otherwise, fix what you got

Comment

Working...
                              X