Auto to manual transmission swap (TF-727 to AX-15) in a 1991 Grand Wagoneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lindel
    Should be the same between the 4.0 and the 360.
    Same pattern but different flywheel balance.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Pillow
      232 I6
      • Jun 19, 2017

Like! I just pulled the manual pedal set from the 73 J4000 to use on the 83 Cherokee. Let's see how that goes.

It looks like a factory hydraulic master exists from 79 on... Hopefully the old and new work together

Thanks for the write-up!
      1983 Cherokee Pioneer - in progress LS 5.3 w LS9 cam, NP208, & SM465
      1968 J2000 Gladiator truck (organ donor for Cherokee & J2000)
      1973 J4000 truck - potential Gambler 500 or farm beast.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I've got an AX15 in my 81 Cherokee with hydraulic TO bearing lever.

Comment

• j10jim
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 11, 2003

since we are reviving the old thread, I would like to discuss the tcase shifter and such. I have a 208 behind my 727 and really want to move away from the flag shifter to one like you have. What shifter did you use and what other details can you share?

thanks
          1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• acct21
            327 Rambler
            • May 20, 2014

OP hasn't posted anywhere on the site in over 2 years. I would not recommend holding up your build until he does!

He did mention in one of the earlier posts in the thread that the linkage was recycled 727 shifter linkage. The shifter looks like any bog-standard straight shot floor shifter. You could really use any straight shot (or dog-leg) 208 shifter (or a universal, for that matter), just as long as you know the shift pattern on the 208 (assuming the shift pattern doesn't match what is written on the ball).

This is the Chevy shifter they used for decades. It has a dogleg/"z" gate plate, but only the handle pivots -- the linkage beneath just goes back and forth.
            1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• bwwhaler
              258 I6
              • Apr 17, 2012

I can get in touch with him and let him know you have questions about it...
              87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
              Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• j10jim
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 11, 2003

ACCT21 thanks for the info. I may have to go that route.

bwwhaler if you could that would be great.

Thanks guys!
                1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• MtnYJ
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 12, 2006

Originally posted by j10jim
                  since we are reviving the old thread, I would like to discuss the tcase shifter and such. I have a 208 behind my 727 and really want to move away from the flag shifter to one like you have. What shifter did you use and what other details can you share?

thanks
                  Hi there fellas, it's been a while since I visited here! As far as the shifter goes, if I remember correctly I used the shifter out of the same J truck that donated the NP-208. I don't recall it even being as complex as acct21's pictures - I'm pretty sure I just used the pivot point that bolts to the floor. That pivot holds a simple t-case shifter rod, then the bottom end is connected to the modified 727 linkage pieces. I know that's still not a ton of detail, but it is pretty simple linkage, and works extremely well. There's no binding at all, I can pretty much shift into/out of 4WD with one finger.

We drove the Waggy nearly everyday until Fall 2015, when we lost a head gasket. The transmission swap never gave us a minute worth of trouble. We parked it and decided to build the wife a CJ. The Waggy is the next project, and will be getting an LS, NV-4500, and Dana 300.
                  Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
                  '76 J20, T-18, Dana 20, no floors
                  '91 GW, AMC 360, AX-15, NP 208, 178K Mi
                  Rear bumper w/swing-out tire carrier
                  '93 YJ, 4.0L, 5-SP, flipped Dana 300, Dana 44s
                  '14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD
                  Carolina Full Size Jeep Club President http://www.cfsjc.com

Comment

• Pillow
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 19, 2017

Originally posted by MtnYJ
                    The Waggy is the next project, and will be getting an LS, NV-4500, and Dana 300.
                    Approved
                    1983 Cherokee Pioneer - in progress LS 5.3 w LS9 cam, NP208, & SM465
                    1968 J2000 Gladiator truck (organ donor for Cherokee & J2000)
                    1973 J4000 truck - potential Gambler 500 or farm beast.

Comment

• Rod2
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 11, 2004

I want your 5th over gear to put in my T-18; of course I want you to do the engineering and the mechanicals.
                      Rod Skaggs
                      '73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn Lock-O-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, MileMarker 12,000 cradle mounted winch

Comment

• MtnYJ
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 12, 2006

Originally posted by Rod2
                        I want your 5th over gear to put in my T-18; of course I want you to do the engineering and the mechanicals.
                        Here ya go Rod, all the info for adding that 5th gear! ;-)

Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
                        '76 J20, T-18, Dana 20, no floors
                        '91 GW, AMC 360, AX-15, NP 208, 178K Mi
                        Rear bumper w/swing-out tire carrier
                        '93 YJ, 4.0L, 5-SP, flipped Dana 300, Dana 44s
                        '14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD
                        Carolina Full Size Jeep Club President http://www.cfsjc.com

Comment

• j10jim
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jan 11, 2003

Originally posted by MtnYJ
                          Hi there fellas, it's been a while since I visited here! As far as the shifter goes, if I remember correctly I used the shifter out of the same J truck that donated the NP-208. I don't recall it even being as complex as acct21's pictures - I'm pretty sure I just used the pivot point that bolts to the floor. That pivot holds a simple t-case shifter rod, then the bottom end is connected to the modified 727 linkage pieces. I know that's still not a ton of detail, but it is pretty simple linkage, and works extremely well. There's no binding at all, I can pretty much shift into/out of 4WD with one finger.

We drove the Waggy nearly everyday until Fall 2015, when we lost a head gasket. The transmission swap never gave us a minute worth of trouble. We parked it and decided to build the wife a CJ. The Waggy is the next project, and will be getting an LS, NV-4500, and Dana 300.
                          Thank you for the updated info. I will look for one. I used to have one, just need to see if I can find it.

Comment

• GrandWaggy89
                            230 Tornado
                            • May 13, 2020

Where did the photos go? d

Where did the photos go? I was using this a my bible for my build and I'm stuck how I should set up the linkage for 4Lo/Hi on my NP228.

If there's anyway to recover the photos or if anyone has some tips on how to best connect the linkage for 4Lo/Hi that would be a huge help to me!

I'd like to be able to use the original shift lever on my 89' that's on the floor near the driver's seat.

Hope someone sees this and can help!

Comment

• PlumCrazyChris
                              258 I6
                              • Jun 03, 2002

MtnYJ, is there any way to get the photos back on this awesome thread?
                              PlumCrazyChris
                              Round Rock, TX
                              1979 Cherokee Chief 360/T18
                              1990 Grand Wagoneer - sold
                              1983 Cherokee Laredo Limited - sold, and want it back!
                              1979 Cherokee Chief - sold
                              1976 Cherokee Chief - sold

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

MtnYJ's last logon was 01-06-2019.
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X