• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by Michael
    I stand corrected....they are not allllllll the way wrapped like an old timey junky military spring....I guess I forgot, and I have a set.

Well that topic has been discussed for years on this board. I know that all true military wrapped springs are all the way around. Now that said I believe this is as good as you can get....I have read that the reasoning behind not military wrapping the fsj spring is due to the shackles. They will not fit. So I believe Rancho made them this way to accomidate that. The goal was to keep the vehicle stable if the rear main leaf of the spring breaks just like any other military wrapped spring. You will be able to drive it home. I think it would serve its purpose if installed the correct direction. Strongest spring I have used. I would go through a set every two trips before. Been out 5 with these.
    It seems to me that this half wrap style would be better. Looks like it would serve its purpose and is way less bulky.

If I dont link my next build, I may have to consider these springs.

I wonder if there is a 63" equivalent for the rear...

Comment

• El_Diablo
      350 Buick
      • Apr 06, 2009

the point to a mil warp is to have a redundancy system so that if you break a spring eye you still have another one to bust through
      1985 Grand Wagoneer-360/727/229/D44/AMC20

2011 Mazdaspeed 3
      2012 Focus
      2000 Camaro
      1995 Mustang
      2009 GSXR-600

Comment

• j20brett
        360 AMC
        • Jul 05, 2006

Originally posted by Dmntxn77
        It seems to me that this half wrap style would be better. Looks like it would serve its purpose and is way less bulky.

If I dont link my next build, I may have to consider these springs.

I wonder if there is a 63" equivalent for the rear...
        No, if possible, you want the full military wrap. Ive bent my main leaves twice. With a military wrap, you would have to bend two leaves instead of one. of course, i stopped bending springs when i installed the shackle stops.
        Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• duncanstives
          304 AMC
          • Mar 27, 2008

If shackle stops solve the problem (and it seems like they would in the majority of cases) why does everyone not do it? Seems like it would prevent an annoying failure AND Save you money in replacements costs (a couple bits of metal it a lot cheaper than a new set of springs)... Stops were on my list of stuff to do and they fell off somehow... But now that I am reminded I have re-added them.

Incidentally looks like my springs are not sagging a whole lot worse than everyone elses... I think the ranchos will be perfect since they will give me a little lift, better driveshaft angle and better approach angle... Not to mention greater durability.
          88 Waggy
          Resting in peace... Um... In piece... Er... IN PIECES

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing

Comment

• will e
            Always Broke
            • Nov 16, 2001

Ok. I am going to go google military wrap springs and shackle stops but if you guys can tell me what each of these are that would be cool
            82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• will e
              Always Broke
              • Nov 16, 2001

got the info on the military wrap springs. That totally makes sense.

Military wrap is the curl over of the second leaf around the main leaf eye. It is designed such that if the mainleaf breaks, the secondary leaf will keep the spring pack attached to the vehicle to help minimize damage and to allow you to limp home
              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• j20brett
                360 AMC
                • Jul 05, 2006

Originally posted by will e
                Ok. I am going to go google military wrap springs and shackle stops but if you guys can tell me what each of these are that would be cool
                Shackle Stop

Here's how my BJ's 6" lift springs held up today while wheeling in the dirt. I am not sure whether to go back to BJ's and order up a new front spring or have a local spring shop tackle the job. BJ's has been horrible with backorders lately. Suggestions? P.S. my transmission peed some pepto-pink fluid all over the driveway
                Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by Tad
                  Good to know, about what I need.

JTR:
                  Just a hint, never weld spring steel with E6010 or E6011.
                  They got you folks out (I read the post) but those are fast freeze rods designed for root passes on pipe welds.
                  E6013 burns through grease and paint much better and will survive a bit longer for a trail fix. Obviously neither will last, but it's a better trail fix rod and does not go bad with exposure to atmosphere, so you can store them in the rig for a long time.
                  that's good information to know. thanks
                  Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                  I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                  Originally posted by johnny019
                  I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• will e
                    Always Broke
                    • Nov 16, 2001

[quote=j20brett]Shackle Stop

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showp...2&postcount=13[/quote}

Thanks! I see how that could help.

Comment

• J20 project
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 27, 2000

I'd really like to find something a bit cheaper.
                      And you will pay over, and over, and over.
                      Sorry but now now that hunting season is over I will be jacking up the truck and relocating my spring perches due to execessive sag on my 6in springs. I AM NOT a fan of extended shackles or bump stops that limit spring travel.
                      J20
                      BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                      775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• Tigger4X
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Nov 16, 2001

Man I was really getting worried about my diesel build and leaf spring failure. Militray wrap and shackle stops will for sure be incorporated now.

SUBSCRIBED for the long haul.
                        Originally posted by will e
                        Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
                        Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

Working...
                        X