• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greenfish
    258 I6
    • Jul 12, 2010

Brake upgrades Front and rear GW

Ive been sifting through old post trying to make some sense out of brake up grades for grand wagoneer with D44 (6 lug). Aside from the HB upgrade, I would also like a rear disk upgrade and if it's easy and cheap larger calipers for the front.

Is there a parts list for rear disk brake conversion that I can scrounge the junk yards for parts?

My understanding is also that a 3/4 ton chevy truck caliper will work for a caliper swap on the front. Which year truck do I pull from? Do I need a caliper mount as well? Does that work with the Chevy or Jeep rotors?

what else do I need to know before I get going?
    Baltimore
    1991 Grand Wagoneer, Rebuilt 360, Eddy Perf Manifold, Razor Grill
    1970 Plymouth 'Cuda (my baby)
  • Greenfish
    258 I6
    • Jul 12, 2010

Just a thought, there is this kit from SSBC its is crazy expensive and its for a 5 lug. Here is my thoughts. This kit looks like it uses a caliper off of something else that you could find in a junk yard. I doubt they engineered a brand new single piston caliper for a D44. If I could figure out what caliper that is I could probably order the parts without the caliper. The 6 lug rotors could probably be sourced from the local auto parts store as well if I knew which ones to grab. same goes with the backing plate. The rest is all brackets, bolts and hoses. I could probably even order the brackets and take them down to my buddy who has a machine shop and he could make them for me. I could then send back the ones from SSBC.

So.. can anyone figure out what parts they are using?

Baltimore

Comment

• Greenfish
      258 I6
      • Jul 12, 2010

Thoughts on this?

Baltimore

Comment

• Topgun2mo
        258 I6
        • Aug 19, 2010

You lose emergency brake capability with that setup.
        Mike Morgan
        Slidell, LA
        '90 Grand Wagoneer
        SOA, CUCV 14 bolt rear, 4.56 and Detroit, Looking for HP Dana 60 for front, 1" Body lift, 44044 Rancho Springs up front, Dodge 4x4 Rear leafs and shackles, BJs 1" lift shackles in front.

Comment

• Greenfish
          258 I6
          • Jul 12, 2010

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
          Not sure ive ever used my E-brake anyhow. With an auto trans do you really need it?
          Baltimore

Comment

• addicted
            Big Meanie
            • Dec 11, 2004

I used the front calipers for an '82 Chevy/GMC 2500 along with the bigger pads. The set I got had to have the casting ground down around the banjo bolt hole to clear the factory front hoses on my '89. I got a set of 2wd calipers when I ordered the 4x4 calipers that are supposed to have the proper clearance. Apparently the remanufacturers of the calipers don't see them as being different for 2wd or 4wd.

Those ebay weld on brackets will be the cheapest way to go if you can weld or know somebody that will do it cheap. You can use the cheap front chevy calipers for no parking brake or the much more expensive Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers to retain the parking brake. I believe the front rotors from a late 80's to late 90's Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 truck will work with that bracket and caliper set up but I might not be remembering correctly on that part.
            Originally posted by Ristow
            i bet it was Simon....
            he's such big meanie that way...
            please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• jeeping1974
              360 AMC
              • Jun 17, 2007

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
              Not if you use calipers with the built in e-brake.

I heard that you can swap over a 3/4 ton caliper to the D44 but I thought they were the same. If the 3/4 ton rotor is larger than the standard D44 set is, you can run that. Yes it's 8 lug and won't match the rear but i've got a 44/60 hybrid rear axle that you could swap your rear 44 gears into and install a D60 disc brake setup on.
              Last edited by jeeping1974; 06-30-2011, 08:11 AM.
              03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
              06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• jeeping1974
                360 AMC
                • Jun 17, 2007

I know that BJ's sells a rear disc conversion setup that you can swap in on the rear.

Another thing to look into is a ZJ with a rear D44. If the brake mounting bolt pattern is the same, you may be able to run that with a 6 lug rotor. You may have to source some parts though.
                03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
                06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• Greenfish
                  258 I6
                  • Jul 12, 2010

Originally posted by jeeping1974
                  I know that BJ's sells a rear disc conversion setup that you can swap in on the rear.

Another thing to look into is a ZJ with a rear D44. If the brake mounting bolt pattern is the same, you may be able to run that with a 6 lug rotor. You may have to source some parts though.
                  $600 is kinda steep. I think I can do better with salvage yard parts/
                  Baltimore

Comment

• InfiniteWisdumb
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 11, 2009

If I understand correctly, if you do a rear disc conversion with hydroboost, there may be some reservoir issues? I seem to remember reading that you will have a pressure change and you need to adjust your HB accordingly? Maybe Elliott can chime in on this.
                    FSJless for now
                    Looking for an M715

Comment

• Suddendeath
                      327 Rambler
                      • Dec 26, 2010

Originally posted by InfiniteWisdumb
                      If I understand correctly, if you do a rear disc conversion with hydroboost, there may be some reservoir issues? I seem to remember reading that you will have a pressure change and you need to adjust your HB accordingly? Maybe Elliott can chime in on this.
                      From what I've read and heard, if you HB with a rear disc setup you're going to need to adjust your proportioning (spellcheck?) valve. With all of that brake power going to those nice rear discs, you'll lock up the rear brakes and skid.

IMHO you should install an adjustable proportioning valve after doing HB OR rear discs anyway, and deffinitely with both. Gotta dial the rear/front power braking power for the new setups.
                      1990 GW:
                      Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
                      10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.

Comment

• Greenfish
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 12, 2010

I would imagine doing any rear disk conversion would require a proportioning valve. I would like to do the whole thing at once, HB and disk upgrade. that way I only have to bleed everything once and can go through the entire braking system.
                        Baltimore

Comment

• Dirt Wag
                          258 I6
                          • Jun 24, 2008

Parts needed for rear disc conversion (with parking brake) >>>>>
                          calipers ($165 a pair new) are rear 1979 to 1985 Cadillac Eldorado.
                          One inch thick standard duty 1990 Chevy K1500 front rotors ($62 a pair new) redrilled with smaller lug holes or make spacers
                          AA-113A brackets ($20 pair) from http://www.aa-mfg.com/pdshop/shop/item.aspx?itemid=20
                          will need some creative fabrication to hook up brake cables

PART NUMBERS: brackets - AA-113A === calipers - 18-4138 and 18-4139 === rotors - YH141454 === hoses - H380280
                          1985 GW, 360, 727, NP229, D44, AMC20, HEI, SOA/shackle flip 7" lift, Quick Lok locker rear, Aussie Locker front, 4.10 gears, 37 X 13.5 Interco SS-M16's, Warn Premium hubs, Tuff Stuff 12,000 LB winch, rear disc brakes === stripped down street legal off road toy

Comment

• scorge30
                            232 I6
                            • May 12, 2011

A rear disc conversion is something I have been considering later as something that might be worthwhile.

I too want to do the HB & disc swap all at once so I only have to bleed the brakes once.

This is the kit I have been considering for my '83 Chero:

'83 Cherokee Pioneer status: it's alive!! (with a horrid exhaust leak!)
                            Rebuilt AMC 360
                            Rebuilt TF 727 with HP parts (again)

Comment

• crazydog
                              350 Buick
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Front -- Calipers from a 1985 3/4 ton Chevrolet with JB7 brakes. You will most likely need to grind the ridge around where the banjo fitting bolts to the caliper or need to use a different brake line. Get some EBC pads to go with the calipers. Use your Jeep calipers for your core and you will be out about $30.00 for the pair of calipers at O'Reilly's.

Rear -- Steel Tech Solutions for your brackets and rotors and get your calipers either from them, or at your local parts store. I used some stainless hoses from TSM.
                              1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

Working...
                              X