• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluehwy
    258 I6
    • Apr 28, 2014

'79 Wag BOV/thanks for the inspiration build

To everyone that has shared so much on this forum thank you! I apologize in advance for the start of what is most likely going to be a long haul. Really thought I was going to have a running modified FSJ by now. I originally wanted an LS/NOVAK swap. Bought a tear down house and remodeled it instead...

Now I'm convinced I'd like nothing more than a 12 valve 5.7. Nonetheless, my multiple visits to read all your posts has pushed me to get moving forward. That pretty much means I'll be cleaning up my 360 and put the Cummins on hold.

Hopefully I won't disgust the purists here with any bastardizations I end up doing. I appreciate a non modified original restoration but that isn't my plan with this one. Definitely would have gone that route with my '88 Grand. Just like all the rest of the gold I've touched though that '88 is gone...

Again, thank you everyone for all of your previous contributions. I'm thankful to be part of this forum.

Pictures on the way!

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

• bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

A good friend has a great saying. "There's something to be said about buying a running vehicle vs. a non running vehicle". Simply put, you're better off having a running vehicle and get to the mods as time and money allows rather than having a basket case sitting in the dirt and you're trying to figure out how to piece it back together.

No matter the case, do what you want to do to your rig. Don't worry about the purist. They'll get over it.

Looking forward to the pics!
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• bluehwy
      258 I6
      • Apr 28, 2014

Originally posted by bkilby
      A good friend has a great saying. "There's something to be said about buying a running vehicle vs. a non running vehicle". Simply put, you're better off having a running vehicle and get to the mods as time and money allows rather than having a basket case sitting in the dirt and you're trying to figure out how to piece it back together.

No matter the case, do what you want to do to your rig. Don't worry about the purist. They'll get over it.

Looking forward to the pics!
      Thanks! I accidentally bought it on ebay... Was watching the clock tick down on the auction, had a few beers, felt like the seller should get more than what the bids were--and...

Next thing I new I was flying to Oregon where the seller had parked it in the airport with the keys and pink slip in the glove box!!!

Drove it from Oregon to California doing 70 all the way. Stopped to add coolant and let it cool down a few times. Had it towed once because I ran out of gas 50 miles after fueling (had an added gas tank that airlocked and I thought it was full).

Well, it was running back then and since it sat for over four years it doesn't run. Definitely my bad but feeling determined to change that course.

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

• bluehwy
        258 I6
        • Apr 28, 2014

Comment

• SOLSAKS
          304 AMC
          • Jul 25, 2016

first off,... i agree with BKILBY
          dont worry about what anyone thinks

...please yourself, it is your FSJ.

second: nice 79 wagoneer.

third: give us the story of the two dogs
          sitting in the vehicle in your member photo

4th dont ever hesitate to ask anyone on the forum
          about your build,....

have fundave in NC
          SOLSAKS - dave
          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
          1982 J-10 Fleetside
          1988 grand wagoneer
          2004 RUBICON jeep
          Benson, NC

Comment

• bluehwy
            258 I6
            • Apr 28, 2014

Thanks Dave!

That's Daisy and Rexroth! That picture was when I got the jeep home from Oregon. I was checking out my new rig and they jumped in the back. They sat there for hours. Usually they are always by my side and when I noticed they weren't around I found them in the Jeep. I think they love it more than I!

Comment

• bluehwy
              258 I6
              • Apr 28, 2014

Comment

• bluehwy
                258 I6
                • Apr 28, 2014

Really struggling with this photoF*&%it... crashes every time I try to use it. Maybe because I'm using the free version?

Comment

• bluehwy
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 28, 2014

Sunday I pulled out parts previously removed and resumed gutting the interior. My goal is to get to the spray liner and strip it. I know there is rust hiding under there.

Comment

• bluehwy
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 28, 2014

I'm going to remove the stock luggage rack and weld the holes closed. There was an aftermarket gutter mount roof rack that I saw in a post on this forum. Plan on going that route.

Comment

• bluehwy
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 28, 2014

Comment

• bluehwy
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 28, 2014

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

This thread is awesome! I love your road trip story!
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bluehwy
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 28, 2014

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                            This thread is awesome! I love your road trip story!
                            The road trip was pretty fun. It came at a much needed time to get away. My buddies thought I was nuts. Guessing I was just lucky the seller was straight up and the 'ol '79 made the trip home from Oregon. I gave my buddies a play-by-play of the turn-and-burn trip. From the strange Oregonian gas stations to locking myself out of the Jeep and having to crawl through the rear window. Had a lot of pictures of that trip and I can't find them... Pretty cool country between Medford, Oregon and Mt. Shasta.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

For sure! We road trip SoCal to Portland once or twice a year and know the area well. We need more threads about your kind of road trip stories.

Once my rig is running I plan to make an offroading road trip, followed by a motorcross road trip, then if it survives, I will make a long distance road trip.
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X