• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NBD925
    232 I6
    • Oct 16, 2014

Jeep J10 Fan Clutch

I have a J10 with 258. It has the low end cooling system and I would like to upgrade. My truck has the fixed 4 blade fan. Can I order a thermal fan clutch and new Fan and do this upgrade?

Here are the parts I was looking at. Thermal Fan Clutch: AC Delco 1580245

Still haven’t found a fan. Any recommendations? 17 inch or bigger I don’t know what the stock 258 cooling fan was.

I don’t think I need a fan shroud as I have never had a cooling problem. The reason I am looking at this upgrade is to gain a little horse power and most important to keep the snow and water from packing up in my engine housing. When I drive in deep snow the snow will pack around my alternator and all the way to my starter relay. This seems to short something as I see a big draw in the lights and on my Volt meter. (Swapped out Amp meter for Volt meter when cleaning up my dash)
    Last edited by NBD925; 10-22-2019, 09:37 AM.
    1977 Jeep J10
    258 Engine
    Weber 38 carb
    T15 Trans
    Dana 20 with Tera Low
    Dana 44 Front and Rear axles
    Custom 16 inch rims 235x85 R16 Duratrac tires
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

If you have trouble with lots of snow and water in the engine compartment, an aftermarket electric fan might be better.

There was "heavy duty cooling" HDC offered on these trucks, but I don't recall whether it included a shroud, a 7or 8 blade fan and clutch, or both. IIRC the fixed fan is standard cooling. My J10 has standard cooling, but I had the radiator recored with an additional row (3 or 4 total?) and never had a problem.

The '74-80 Jeep factory parts book should show what was available. You can buy a copy on CD-ROM at RockAuto currently, or a much more expensive paper copy at BJ's. Less than $50 for both the '78 TSM and the parts book. Cheap. I'll try to remember to look once I'm home.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• NBD925
      232 I6
      • Oct 16, 2014

I just got the huge paper parts book. I guess it shows the fan and blade number but does not say the total diameter. I have seen 17 and 18 inch listed on Amazon as aftermarket options.

Why go electric vs Thermal fan. I figured the thermal would probably not even be running much during the really snowy adventures and the electrical seemed more water sensitive on paper.
      1977 Jeep J10
      258 Engine
      Weber 38 carb
      T15 Trans
      Dana 20 with Tera Low

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

Electric fan will be worse. These have a adequate cooling system at their best. They need a fan creating a low pressure zone behind the radiator a all times. Put a good clutch fan in. You could (should) go to the overall bigger C8 radiator too.
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

What's a C8 radiator? V8 radiator? These 6-cylinder trucks have a narrower radiator than the V8s, and the choice of replacement radiators is limited to the standard radiator, as I recall. The V8 radiator won't fit the core support. When the shop recored my radiator, the box the thicker core came in said "Utility Truck" ... likely the dimensions are the same as the early 226 and 230 trucks.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• NBD925
            232 I6
            • Oct 16, 2014

TGreese, I guess I can see a benefit in the electric fan option. I just saw a pictures of one installed. It is sucked right up against the radiator and would not blow snow and pack it everywhere. Any recommendations for an electric setup for this 258? I would like to see what I’m up against.

Ristow, the only reason I disagree at this point is that I have never had a problem cooling this jeep ever. And it had the fixed 4 blade fan now. I can barely get the needle to move into the green. I was actually worried about this and thought I was getting false readings. I replaced every gauge in the dash and got a new temp sensor. Flow Kooler water pump and Flow Kooler thermostat. I did go with a 180 but might switch back to the 195.
            1977 Jeep J10
            258 Engine
            Weber 38 carb
            T15 Trans
            Dana 20 with Tera Low

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

[quote=NBD925]TGreese, I guess I can see a benefit in the electric fan option. I just saw a pictures of one installed. It is sucked right up against the radiator and would not blow snow and pack it everywhere. Any recommendations for an electric setup for this 258? I would like to see what I

Not sure what happened here ...
              Tim Reese

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by NBD925
                Any recommendations for an electric setup for this 258?
                Don't know specifically, but the CJ guys use an electric fan so they can shut down during water crossings. Seems like a similar problem. The Ford Taurus and Contour fans are both popular junkyard solutions. I'm sure there are others. Lots on the 'net about this and aftermarket fans if you search.
                Tim Reese

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

yes V8. and yes you need to swap or modify the core support but i see this instance cooling has nothing to do with it.

id go with a clutch fan myself. i think hes gonna find that snow packing in there is not coming thru the radiator,it is coming up thru the bottom of the engine bay, and fan choice has little to do with it other than minor distribution..
                  Originally posted by Hankrod
                  Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

I have several oe style mechanical fans laying around send me PM if interested.
                    Tony
                    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• NBD925
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 16, 2014

Does anyone have an idea how the fan attaches to the thermal fan clutch. Are there special studs? My old 4 blade fan with no clutch just bolted on with 4 bolts. The parts manual looks like the studs come in from the back.
                      1977 Jeep J10
                      258 Engine
                      Weber 38 carb
                      T15 Trans
                      Dana 20 with Tera Low

Comment

• NBD925
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 16, 2014

Searching the internet I may have found an answer but I’m not sure as I don’t have original parts but I found someone taking about 4 studs that were 1/4-20 x 1 inch long attached to the water pump flange.

Does this sound correct?
                        1977 Jeep J10
                        258 Engine
                        Weber 38 carb
                        T15 Trans
                        Dana 20 with Tera Low

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 19, 2003

Yes, that sounds correct. My V8 water pumps have had studs in them.

Comment

• letank
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jun 03, 2002

thermal clutch

typical example of a fan clutch on the V8, of course I like to mess up with parts, this is a 1985 mercedes 560SL fan and fan clutch on a FSJ 360 V8, smaller fan at 17", but more blades, here tested at the junkyard and installed on the 85... as a note the 560 fan is a bit closer to the radiator than the oem, and the 6 cyl has a different configuration, you can download the TSM and parts manual from Tom collins oljeep site to see the parts list, pick the 79 or the 82 TSM, the 79 is easier to follow as page numbering , the 82 has a drawing of the 6cyl with the thermal fan

In Montana, I suspect a cooler weather and indeed for winter you could probably go electric and install a pusher fan in front of the radiator, get one off any vehicle that is at least 14 to 16", again some latter car will have the proper hardware to ease installation, use relay and manual switch if you are the single driver, otherwise an thermal switch to activate fan.

Ford contour and volvo are the usual suspect for the electric fan installation... again I have some mercedes spare, never installed to put as pusher fan that are used in these models to help cool the AC condenser. You could keep the fan clutch in a box ready to install if the electric fan was not enough.... but this winter, it should not be a problem.

the ford contour from the amc site on the I6

I have a thread on installing an FSJ radiator in my 63 Classic here: http://theamcforum.com/forum/fs...

here is the volvo from the rangerstation

Last edited by letank; 11-06-2019, 12:32 AM.
                            Michel
                            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                            X