• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtn eer
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 27, 2018

New to forum

Hello! Glad to be joining the forum. I bought a 1988 grand wagoneer last year from a neighbor. He was the first owner, all original. He had kept it up pretty well until the last 3 years it was sitting in his drive. I am an amateur mechanic trying to learn as I go. I have got it up and running, new fuel pump, rebuilt original carb, new radiator and water pump, new starter. My biggest current issues have been a no crank/no start issue when it is getting hot, and the transmission is leaking. Also contemplating whether I should beef up the 360 or if I should try to keep it all original.

[IMG]Sideview jeep by mtn eer, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Rearview jeep by mtn eer, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Christmas jeep by mtn eer, on Flickr[/IMG]
  • UnkleMunky
    350 Buick
    • Oct 17, 2000

Welcome!

Cool plates!

Whether to beef up the 360 or keep original is really up to you and what you want out of the rig. If a daily driver or average use, then there should not be a lot of need to beef it up, per se. Initial focus is to get it running reliably. After that you can get a better feel for whether or not you think it is adequate for your needs or if you think you need to add some beef to the plate.

Is the no crank/no start after it's been running and hot or just hot weather in your area? There are common vapor issues with these rigs, and if you search for the symptoms on the forum here you'll probably find lots of discussion that may help you narrow down your real problem.

Feel free to ask questions as you go along. People can either directly help or give you links to previous discussion on topics. Also, use the search feature here well and you'll find lots of past points to learn from.
    Michael (UnkleMunky)
    '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
    '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
    Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• mtn eer
      230 Tornado
      • Oct 27, 2018

Starting issue

Thanks for your reply! The no crank/no start has been this summer, but it would only do it when the engine was hot (above 200). Starting for the first time was no problem, but if I would turn it off at a gas station and try to turn it back on 5 min later- nothing. No click, no crank, nothing. When it cooled down it would start. New battery, I even checked a load test and that looked good. I replaced the starter relay and still no crank when the engine was hot. Wrapped the starter with a shield, still no improvement. I then used a remote start button and could get the starter to crank when the ignition would not crank it. If I put the remote starter lead on the wire from the relay down to the starter, it would crank, but if I put the remote starter lead on the ignition wire post of the relay- no crank. So I recently replaced the relay again. So far, so good, but I live in North Dakota and since it is 50 degrees outside, the engine isn't getting above 190 so I don't know if the problem is actually fixed.

Comment

• miracleed
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2019

Welcome to the forums! Handsome rig.
        '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• jpjeeper
          258 I6
          • Jul 26, 2007

Crank and no start is usually just the fuel filter return... One side has to hoses onside has one...

If I recall... you need to make sure the return line is higher than the feed line or you will have issue...

Ass suggested... do a search, its on here somewhere.
          1967 J3000 Gladiator 327 Vigilante
          1972 CJ5 Renegade
          2006 Rubicon Unlimited
          2017 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock

Comment

• jpjeeper
            258 I6
            • Jul 26, 2007

Crank and no start is usually just the fuel filter return... One side has to hoses onside has one...

If I recall... you need to make sure the return line is higher than the feed line or you will have issue...

Ask suggested... do a search, its on here somewhere.

no crank when hot...

Could be the starter solonoid or the ignition module... Cant remember if they have a ballist resistor or not because I went HEI a long time ago... but I think they might... this was a source of issues like these for me...
            1967 J3000 Gladiator 327 Vigilante
            1972 CJ5 Renegade
            2006 Rubicon Unlimited
            2017 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Did you photoshop that rear plate or is that really your plate?!? SOoo awesome!!!

When you say "a no crank/no start issue when it is getting hot" Does it click when you turn the key? When I first got my rig, when it was hot, it would either BARELY turn over or not at all (but I could hear the solenoid click). It sounded like a dead/dying battery. I would let it sit for 3 hours with the hood open and it would crank right over and start right up. I had to rebuild all my battery cables from the battery to the starter, and my ground wire. I used 0ga welding wire and copper terminals after buying 2 sets of cheap pre-made cables at McParts that didn't help. It cost me about $50 and killed about 2 hours of working but it really helped. When our starters get hot, they draw ALOT more current and it makes it hard to turn over. You might also consider a new starter.

How bad is the trans leak? I am not sure a FSJ exists that does not leak. If your rig is not leaking, you are out of fluid.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you're here!
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                304 AMC
                • Jul 25, 2016

I love the color of your wagoner

John candy in the great outdoors comes to mind every single time I see one like yours

welcome.

dave in NC
                SOLSAKS - dave
                1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                1988 grand wagoneer
                2004 RUBICON jeep
                Benson, NC

Comment

• Kottobe
                  230 Tornado
                  • Oct 04, 2019

Hello! I am new here, nice to meet everybody.

Comment

• jeepman1
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Bums

..The lot of us!
                    : 98 9er
                    '83 Honcho j10
                    '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
                    '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• miracleed
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 19, 2019

Heya Kottobe! Welcome to the forums.
                      '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• MysticRob
                        350 Buick
                        • Nov 26, 2019

Outstanding color on yours, haven't seen one like that in years. Love the license plate. Looking forward to seeing future posts.
                        --Rob--
                        1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• selkplitt
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 01, 2010

Mine did the same. It was the wire from the relay on fender to solenoid on starter. Good cold but would not make connection hot therefore engine wouldn
                          http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z469/selkplitt/
                          1989 Grand Waggy stock
                          2007 Commander Rock Mountain Edition
                          2021 GMC Sierra 3.0 Duramax

Comment

Working...
                          X