• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NO6YHY
    258 I6
    • Jan 11, 2004

Exhaust Leak/Lifter Noise... Ideas???

Ok, I've just completed a 4 month job of replacing cam and lifters and freshening up just about everything else on the way there. Used an Elgin cam/lifter set with Brad Penn break-in oil. I soaked the lifters in the oil and assembly lubed the cam before installing. Also filled up the oil filter and drenched the valley with the oil. I tested lifter preload and went to a slightly shorter pushrod to get it down to the 0.06 range (wanted to stay conservative and not shorten too much). Torqued all rockers to 19 ft-lb, at TDC for each one.

Fired it up yesterday and it started immediately, timing was a bit retarded at first, then advanced it and it hums like a well-oiled sewing machine. Only problem is a noticeable tick coming from the passenger side. This was very audible from the get go, then after the 25 minute cam break-in period it seemed to go away. Started the car again today and it ticked at first, then died down and went away after a minute or two. Revved the engine and the tick came back, then lingered a bit, then slowly faded out. Comes back usually whenever I rev the engine, then sometimes stays, sometimes goes.

What do you think? I will say that I had removed the passenger side exhaust manifold during the repair process, thinking I would have to replace the head. Put it back on with new gaskets, torqued it down, exhaust pipe is metal-to-metal against the heat riser valve. Same as I had it before. So there COULD be an exhaust leak on this side, but I've tried the rubber-hose-to-ear test and can't hear anything anywhere (also can't hear any lifter noise through the rubber hose). Can't see any smoke either.

So I'm stumped. Any ideas? The intermittency of the sound makes me think/hope/pray it is not a lifter or mechanical issue. Oil pressure is at 60 so seems good there.
    Last edited by NO6YHY; 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM.
    \"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*
  • bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

My exhaust is metal to metal with the heat riser as well. It leaks. They do make gaskets for it. I haven't replaced mine because it's not street ready yet.
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• NO6YHY
      258 I6
      • Jan 11, 2004

Originally posted by bkilby
      My exhaust is metal to metal with the heat riser as well. It leaks. They do make gaskets for it. I haven't replaced mine because it's not street ready yet.
      Do you get that ticking noise then? I think when I last put the manifold on ten years ago I sprayed some copper coat on the heat riser and maybe that's why it didn't leak before, or maybe I had the heat riser turned the other way around and it just mated better. It gives me hope that the sound goes away after a minute; maybe they'll "break in" to each other. I don't think it's worth trying to improve this until I can find a new manifold with longer studs so I can fit the donut on, and I have spent about my last dollar on this jeep for awhile...

I haven't driven this thing out of the driveway yet so there's hope that something will settle out.
      \"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*

Comment

• bkilby
        350 Buick
        • Jan 10, 2016

It does tick and blows exhaust on the firewall. I'll get to it someday.
        1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

If you're suspecting an exh leak. Get a piece of garden, heater etc hose. Put one end to your ear and move the other end around to all the exh connections, mating surfaces. If there is a leak you'll hear it.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• NO6YHY
            258 I6
            • Jan 11, 2004

Ran it again today, still can't locate any exhaust leak if there is one. I've done the hose test and put it all over the place. Oh well, the engine runs great otherwise. Puts a smile on my face to hear it.

Comment

• FSJunkie
              The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
              • Jan 09, 2011

Exhaust leaks get louder as engine load increases. Valve noise does not.
              '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
                232 I6
                • Dec 15, 2016

Trick I head of recently is to kill the engine, connect your shop vacuum or house vacuum hose to the tail pipe, depending on the fit you may wanna create a seal somehow, and if you can isolate the vacuum noise, like around a corner or something that helps, turn it on and head to the front, you should definitely be able to tell then.
                1977 J20 w/ the 360 V8 with 304 heads formerly known as "401"....
                Edelbrock Performer, Street Demon Carb, HEI Distributor

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

yeppers

This is a lifter. Exhaust will not fluctuate with rpm then come & go. It should be almost unoticeable at idle & louder under acceleration if it were exhaust. One of the pre-loads are incorrect or a lifter has failed Possible rocker arm issue.
                  Last edited by serehill; 02-16-2017, 05:27 PM.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Edlebrock performer intake
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• 44BZ
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by serehill
                    This is a lifter. Exhaust will no fluctuate with wit rpm & come & go.it should be almost not noticeable at idle & louder under acceleration if it were exhaust. ne of the preloads are incorrect or a lifter has failed Possible rocker arm issue.
                    I'm no expert, but this is where I'd be looking and I wouldn't be running it until opening the top to check especially after all the work you've done. I had what I thought was a lifter tick and prepared myself for replacing a bad one. Once I opened it up I found that the lifters were fine, but one of the pushrods had wallowed out the rocker, which allowed the pushrod to bounce around in there. Luckily nothing but the rocker was damaged and I happened to have a spare set of rockers for the 327. Swapped them out and it was good as new.
                    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• NO6YHY
                      258 I6
                      • Jan 11, 2004

Ok thanks. I finally drove it today and it is definitely much louder on acceleration. I guess I'll pull the valve cover off and check things.

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

Wait re-read the thread if it's louder on acceleration then it could be an exhaust leak!!!!!!!

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Edlebrock performer intake
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• NO6YHY
                          258 I6
                          • Jan 11, 2004

Yeah the noise, whatever it is, really comes to life when I accelerate. I feel like it's an exhaust leak. Going to take the valve cover off pretty soon anyway since a little oil is seeping out (of course) so I'll double check the rockers and push rods.

Comment

• 440sixpack
                            327 Rambler
                            • Jul 21, 2016

What rockers are you running?

Did you check the preload on every lifter ? if not it's entirely possible you have some with less preload than others which could cause noise. variation in valve stem height is common.

It's also possible you have a bum lifter. today we have basically 2 lifters to choose from , one is okay and the other is junk. all makes come from the same sources. I use only Harland Sharp because I know they're the okay ones, there are other brands selling the same lifters but I'm not sure who.

Comment

• NO6YHY
                              258 I6
                              • Jan 11, 2004

That's interesting about the lifters, 440. These are from Elgin.

Took the valve covers off and noticed that I could wiggle a couple of the rockers. Checked preload on those and they are definitely preloading however, about 3/4 of a turn past tension to torque the bolt. I then cranked it while watching the rockers go up and down and everything seemed fine.

All this, combined with the fact that it is much louder on acceleration than otherwise makes me rule out lifters/mechanical issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X