• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fsjparts
    232 I6
    • May 31, 2010

Windshield removel?

Have two windshields to remove...want to save them sense they are perfect....dont care about saving rubber. Whats the easiest way?
  • TexTJ209
    360 AMC
    • Oct 06, 2005

I used a boxcutter to cut the weatherstrip some, then it mostly just pulled off as it was old and rotten. Then I just pried a corner of the windshield up a bit, and it came out pretty easily.

Might be an easier way, but this worked well for me with what I had laying around.
    '10 Chevy Silverado 5.3L - The DD.
    '81 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo
    '73 Jeep J2000 - On the perpetual backburner.
    Texas A&M Offroad

Comment

• Austin 4x4
      350 Buick
      • Jul 28, 2009

if your not concerned with saving the rubber, just cut it with a razor blade. thats what i did worked great.
      '73 J4000 4 door longbed http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=120147

'85 Wagoneer

YES i WILL be in ouray in 2013!

Comment

• Coryd55
        350 Buick
        • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by Austin 4x4
        if your not concerned with saving the rubber, just cut it with a razor blade. thats what i did worked great.
        X2
        1976 Cherokee Chief Build - Update 7/3/2014

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.

Comment

• Chuck Brown
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 17, 2008

I may be in similar boat, whats the best course if I wanted to keep the rubber seal?

Chuck Brown
          Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
          Works in progress:
          1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
          1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift

Comment

• Lindel
            Perfesser of Jeepology
            • Jun 15, 2000

There's a locking system that goes completely around the outside of the gasket. You can see the seam if you remove the trim and look closely at it.

Use a popsicle stick (or something not likely to damage the seal) and pry into the seam that you'll see, the corners usually work best. Once you get a part of it undone, then the rest is pretty easy. After you get the "lock" taken care of, push (carefully, very carefully) at one of the corners until you get the winshield loose, then work your way around.

After you get the windshield out, you can pull the seal off the body without much trouble.
            Jeep Grounds
            RRV Homepage
            Texas Full Size Jeep Association
            1987 Grand Wagoneer
            AMC 360/TF727/NP229
            1999 Wrangler Sport
            4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• newtojeeps
              350 Buick
              • Jun 28, 2006

What Lindel said. use plenty of soap to help let the rubber slide loose.
              Also point towards the sun to help get the rubber more flexible. I used thick paint sticks to stick between the body and seal once I had worked it loose.

Comment

• lkmarsh
                350 Buick
                • Nov 21, 2008

You are going to have a tough time of this, especially at the corners, where the rubber overlaps the glass quite a bit. If the gasket is old and hard it isn't worth saving. New gaskets are cheaper than new glass and well worth it.
                Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
                69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
                68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
                68 Impala wagon 327/400
                73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
                04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
                73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• threepiece
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 17, 2005

1.Take eight or ten wood paint stir sticks and cut them into pieces 2-3 inches long.
                  2.Park the Jeep in a warm place.
                  3.Unlock the gasket from the outside.
                  4.Loosten the gasket by pulling on it from the outside and pushing the glass on the inside. Focus your effort on the bottom.
                  5 Fill the gap that develops between the inside surface of the glass and the entire bottom of the gasket with the pieces of wood strip.
                  6. Repeat step no. 4
                  7. As the gap increases between the glass and the gasket, double up on the wood spacers.
                  8. Repeat step no. 4 again
                  9. Triple up on the wood spacers.
                  10. By this time the glass should be on the way out.
                  I have removed many FSJ windshilds in the past. The last two times I used this method, It worked great!
                  Dan
                  FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                  We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                  We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                  Resistance is not futile yet.
                  Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• Chrome
                    Ph.D in Redneckology
                    • Aug 30, 2002

WEAR GLOVES!!!

When I removed the windshield from my 83 just before painting I got a nasty dose of glass embedded into my finger. I dug glass out for 30 minutes and thought I had gotten all of it....wrong. A week goes by and my finger starts to swell so I do more surgery and dig out another large piece. That was almost a year ago and now I have a knot on my finger with a tender spot in the center so more digging is required once again.
                    ..,=====,o00o
                    //__l_l_,\____\,__
                    l_---\_l__l---0
                    lllllll0
                    _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\

Comment

• 1983 j10
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 13, 2008

your best bet on saving the windsheild would be to cut the gasket out with a razor knife. i just pulled the one out of my truck by unlocking the gasket and you have to put a huge amount of pressure on the glass to get it to pop out of the rubber mine was already broke so i didnt care if it cracked i just wanted to see what it took to remove it this way. also ive cut many windsheilds out with a razor knife with sucess just take your time and cut as much of the gasket out that you can.
                      1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• threepiece
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 17, 2005

Originally posted by 1983 j10
                        your best bet on saving the windsheild would be to cut the gasket out with a razor knife. i just pulled the one out of my truck by unlocking the gasket and you have to put a huge amount of pressure on the glass to get it to pop out of the rubber mine was already broke so i didnt care if it cracked i just wanted to see what it took to remove it this way. also ive cut many windsheilds out with a razor knife with sucess just take your time and cut as much of the gasket out that you can.
                        Have you tried removing one with wood stir sticks as I described? My guess is you havn't. I used to think the best way is to cut the gasket too.

Comment

• threepiece
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 17, 2005

Originally posted by 1983 j10
                          Have you tried to remove one with the wood stir sticks as I described? My guess is you havn't. I think it is actually faster and certainly safer than cutting and you get to reuse the gasket. I once thought cutting was the best way too.
                          Dan

Comment

• mud89
                            304 AMC
                            • Nov 18, 2009

For the J10 i didn't save the gasket
                            Where do you buy a new gasket for the FSJ windshield
                            J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• 1983 j10
                              327 Rambler
                              • Apr 13, 2008

yea i didnt try that because really the gasket i had wasnt worth saving either but using that method you still take that chance of breaking it. your still putting the windshield on a bind and what ive learned from doing windsheilds is glass does not bend at all. and with cutting your not putting any pressure on the glass at all and a new gasket is way cheaper then a new windsheild. i do a lot of glass replacement at work on heavy equipment so ive learned many different ways to remove and install glass and ive found the best way to remove is cutting.

Originally posted by threepiece188
                              Have you tried to remove one with the wood stir sticks as I described? My guess is you havn't. I think it is actually faster and certainly safer than cutting and you get to reuse the gasket. I once thought cutting was the best way too.
                              Dan
                              1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

Working...
                              X