• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beach_Dude
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 03, 2011

Fuel tank seals and/or hoses are leaking

It's been a problem I've had for a long time. I even redid them since I failed the vacuum test during smog. So, I dropped the tank, new seals, hoses, the works.

However, a few weeks back I noticed gas dripping after a fill-up and always accompanied with a strong gas smell.

I know some shops have a 'smoke' machine to detect leaks... Does anyone know how this is done or how to get my hands on this equipment?
    1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    360 w/ MC 4350
    All stock but ignition and slightly modified suspection
    Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years
  • wylder
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2015

Get yourself a Kohler Multi use transfer pump part # RA990 from Amazon for $10 bucks a box of swisher sweet cigars and make your own. Put the cigar in the pump and attach the hose to your charcoal canister, pump away and trace any smoke to your vacuum or gasket leaks. I did this a few months ago when my Jeep failed smog for a vacuum leak. Traced it to the tank rollover seal. Saved the cost of a smoke test which was $100 and used the savings to buy the parts to repair my fuel tank. Hope this helps.
    Wylder

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

Did you change the filler hoses between the tank and fill cap?

If not pour some gas in there and look under to see if it’s leaking. I always try to use a dry paper towel to find fuel leaks and to make sure I got it fixed.

Hope it helps.
      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• Beach_Dude
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 03, 2011

Ordered a evap smoke tester from amazon for like $129... The way I see it, I'm going to use it again at some point on one of my other cars and it pays for itself on the first time usage.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it works.
        1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
        360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• Beach_Dude
          327 Rambler
          • Mar 03, 2011

So the evap smoke machine was a massive fail... Not a single sign of smoke. However, fill up the car, park on an incline and fuel just spits out the back of the tank.

Ends up being the hoses at the rear of the tank, which I am pissed about because they're not only brand new, but if I tight down the hose. Clamps any more, I'm gonna crush the tank nipples.

Video of the leak: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6gaCkU8mvhFKcsCu7

Just gonna order some softer and thicker walled hose. Does any know the hose diameter for the 1978-1979 filler and vent hose diameter?
          1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
          360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

I wonders if you have a crack. In the tank, one of the nipples, or a solder joint.
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Driftwood
              350 Buick
              • Jun 12, 2000

I replaced all my fuel lines in my 79. The fuel fill line is 1". The vent line is 3/4". Below is a list of all the fuel lines I replaced on my 79. The 1" was difficult to source.

Lets hope your vent line nipple is not cracked. I sealed my fuel tank leak with J-B Weld SteelStik. Over 2 years later the patch (upper right corner of the tank pictured below) still doing its job. No leaks!

1"
              3/4"
              5/16"
              1/4"
              3/16"

Last edited by Driftwood; 09-28-2019, 07:21 AM.
              1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

When I bought mine, the fill hose was already clear reinforced vinyl bulk tubing. I have never replaced it because it works. This stuff.

I am pretty sure it's 1" and 3/4" like Driftwood said.

Also, know there are 2 other nipples in that cluster. The one that goes up into the wheel well and eventually to the roll over check valve to the carbon can, and another nipple that goes to the vent on the top of the metal fill kneck. You can see both of those nipples in Driftwoods picture. The one with the paper towel stuffed in it goes up into your wheel well and the little small nipple is the one that should go back, aft of the axle, onto one of the nipples by the fill tube. Do you have all 4 of those nipples on your tank? Maybe one has cracked?
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                X