• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lasinvegas
    232 I6
    • Dec 09, 2007

transfer case thoughts

I don't want to go into indepth details on what I am doing until I am a little further along, but I need some thoughts on a new transfer case. Currently I am runing a Dana 300 and love it, but I am not sure if it will hold up under the new setup.

I am in the process of extending my wheelbase 18"-21" and the body 36".
    The rig is going to weigh about 350lbs more unloaded and may carry my honda 650 dual sport on the rear carrier. My wheeling will be primarily backcountry stuff like White Rim, a long run in Alaska. Not the rock crawling and body damage stuff.

I like the dana 300, but will it hold up?
    If I change, what should I swap too?
    With the wheelbase I have given thought to a 2wd tranny and divorced setup, but the only thing I know of is a 205 and it hangs way down.

By the way the rig is a mid 80's GW with a passenger drop front axle, but I am at a point that I can go back to ds drop if I need to.

Well, any thoughts?
  • rustywagoneers_com
    304 AMC
    • Feb 02, 2006

you can clock a married or divorced 205 flat if you want to. (well, depending on the bolt pattern for the married ones.... it might be kinda tough to clock the 'racetrack' bolt pattern - but who knows, i bet someone has done it...)

that said... if you will never rockcrawl it, a 32 spline output in your D300 might be ok for you... but for my money, time and with as much wheelbase as you are discussing, i would plop a divorced 205 behind your 300 (and flip the 300 to the driver side and NOT cut it) or put an FSJ 208 in place of the D300 (driver drop already so it would be out of the way)

peace
    Dave
    There is no way to rule innocent men.
    The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
    Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
    One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• wickedwagon767
      304 AMC
      • Dec 26, 2005

I think the 300 would be more than capable,but its gonna take some money. Stak makes a stout aftermarket case ,which is the last part you would need to replace as far as strength goes. JB Conversions' 32spline front and rear outputs and their 4:1 lomax gears are proven.

Here's an idea for you(not knowing what your low-range needs are)

-Stak HD case w/stock 2.62 low range gears and Novak Conversions' hardened intermediate shaft
      -JB Conversions' 32spline f/r outputs
      -Klune (2.72) underdrive

you would have a fairly stout combination of parts with good gear selection and your driveshafts would be at much better angles
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Honestly though, an NP205 is hard to beat dollar per strength. The rear fixed yoke version came with stout 32spline outputs and the 32spline front output conversion is cheap to put together. It weighs more and the low range sucks but its fairly cheap,nearly indestructible and you can always slide a Klune or 203 range box in front of it if your needs called for it.

Comment

• Stuka
        • Jan 21, 2001

I would go with an Atlas over the Stak. But that all comes down to money. A D300 will hold up depending on what axle gears you run. If you run some 4.56's with the 36's, then it should be fine. Although I would still upgrade that rear output. But since you will be out in the middle of nowhere, I would go as strong as money allows. An NP205 is a whole lot stronger. Make sure to upgrade your axles as well.

Comment

• lasinvegas
          232 I6
          • Dec 09, 2007

Originally posted by Stuka
          I would go with an Atlas over the Stak. But that all comes down to money. A D300 will hold up depending on what axle gears you run. If you run some 4.56's with the 36's, then it should be fine. Although I would still upgrade that rear output. But since you will be out in the middle of nowhere, I would go as strong as money allows. An NP205 is a whole lot stronger. Make sure to upgrade your axles as well.
          Not going to run 36's. I am stretching body length 36" and wheelbase 18"
          Will be running a corp 14 rear, and have a ford and a chevy front 60 both stashed. Corp 14 is a military with the locker already in it and disk brakes with 4.56 gears so I will probably rebuild whichever front I use to match and hold on to the other one for future endeavors.

Probably won't go larger than 35's on the rig as it will get a lot of freeway miles getting to where I want to go.

Comment

my 205 rests flush with the crossmember. who told you it hangs down?

not that you'll break the cast iron case. especially if you aren't playing on the rocks.

Al
            79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
            99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
            07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• Dmntxn77
              Hey watch this...
              • Nov 19, 2004

Since you gave no indication of budget, I say go with the Monster Box..

You will get the .79:1 OD for all those highway miles, along with a 1:1 and a 4.33:1 LOW for the hard stuff..

Comment

• elbastardo
                327 Rambler
                • Oct 04, 2005

Al is that a chevy Xmember? Sorry dont want to get off topic........My vote is always for the 205. You can dig up a divorced ford case cheap. But if you allready have a 300, then i would probably stay with that, just my .02$.

Comment

it is the stock jeep crossmember in the stock location, and the trans mount is only 1/4" thick. i got real lucky on how it fit, a little too lucky actually! yours might have been different being a gladiator.

Al
                  Last edited by AlsChopShop; 12-20-2007, 05:42 PM.
                  79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                  99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                  07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• lasinvegas
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 09, 2007

Neighbor has a 70's ford sitting beside his house with a divorced 205.
                    That thing hangs way down. I didn't know the monster box was set up to act as an overdrive. That's food for thought, but I would rather blow that budget money somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                    X